Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man killed by family for watching soccer instead of religious program
Man killed by family for watching soccer instead of religious program
REF: http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-c...lling.html

Article Wrote:JOHANNESBURG (AP)—Police say a South African man who wanted to watch a World Cup match instead of a religious program was beaten to death by his family in the northeastern part of the country.

“He was always a happy man, never violent,”
Makoeya’s nieces, Miriam and Anna, told the Daily Sun newspaper. “On Saturday, we saw him the last time at a funeral.”

What savages, attacking their own father, their own blood.

Execute the lot of them.

Let them reap the whirlwind they have now sown.
RE: Man killed by family for watching soccer instead of religious program
I think Min has already got a thread on this.
http://atheistforums.org/thread-3939.html
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
(June 20, 2010 at 5:51 am)Shinylight Wrote: I think Min has already got a thread on this.
http://atheistforums.org/thread-3939.html
Not Muslims. There is one post in that thread, courtesy of Rhage. I'd like to keep the named Muslim threads separate from the named Christian threads. Too much confusion otherwise. These lovely examples of human stains don't have the luxury of an inherently repressive religion to make them batshit.

(June 18, 2010 at 7:05 pm)Rhage Wrote: I also heard about a 61 year old man who was beaten to death by his 68 year old wife and two kids because he wanted to watch the a World Cup game and they wanted to watch religious programming.
Wtf?

Edited to add a link to the story: Dying to watch the WC
But don't they see that soccer for fans is a religious thing!
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Sorry about that Smile
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
(June 20, 2010 at 6:13 am)Purple Rabbit Wrote: But don't they see that soccer for fans is a religious thing!

IMO soccer for fans is much better than religion as it does not tell you how to lead your life. Of course it's also about ripping people off - but that's one of the least problematic things of religions.

I am not a fan at all; however I like "fundamentalist soccer fans" much better than fundamentalist religious crackpots.
(June 20, 2010 at 7:11 am)Atheist_named_Christian Wrote:
(June 20, 2010 at 6:13 am)Purple Rabbit Wrote: But don't they see that soccer for fans is a religious thing!

IMO soccer for fans is much better than religion as it does not tell you how to lead your life.
Oh, but it does that over here. You need to wear the national colour, which is an appaling orange over here. You have to dress up the house with many afwul vanes. You need to recite the first two lines of the national anthem. You need to take side with the national team in the play itself. And you need to speak special football language and listen to experts on tv who think up new special football language butin doing so haven't changed any match result ever. In some circles of soccer fundamentalists large quantities of specific intoxicating beverages are obligatory. Wink

(June 20, 2010 at 7:11 am)Atheist_named_Christian Wrote: I am not a fan at all; however I like "fundamentalist soccer fans" much better than fundamentalist religious crackpots.
Religious crackpots and fundamentalist soccer fans drink from the same well of unreason and lack of critical thinking. Nevertheless I agree with you that unreason comes in all colours and shades we're free to choose, dislike or like and I would add that the fun factor for fundamentalist soccer fans generally has a higher rating whereas the pretention factor regarding the impact on the universe generally rates lower.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Soccer bores me to fucking tears.....and it is still better than religion!
(June 20, 2010 at 12:23 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Soccer bores me to fucking tears.....and it is still better than religion!

Eye, football is boring, very very boring. Aload of lads running up and down a field kicking a ball around. Don't mind too much with all the England flags being waved about, just can't stand the constant "COM'ON ENGLAND!".

Then again I've never been a fan of any kind of sport

It's hard to believe that despite being in the 21st century, people are still being killed for ignoring religion or lacking belief in it.
Who says religion doesn't harm anyone?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Watching paint dry has more excitement involved than soccer....Tongue
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Financial Woes Continue To Plague Focus On The Family leo-rcc 1 1302 September 3, 2011 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  Family asks doctors to wait for prayers to work binny 23 6899 June 12, 2010 at 6:53 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko