Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is America the greatest country
Is America the greatest country
So i know this is from a television series, but this is circling the web under the title "The greatest 3 minutes in television history".  Take some time and watch it and I'd be curious to hear people's opinions about what Jeff Daniels characters says about America.

We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
RE: Is America the greatest country
Greatest at what?
(December 10, 2015 at 2:20 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Greatest at what?

Exaggerating?
England is obviously the best country in the world. We banned slavery decades before the US our government is not so mired in every way. Our health service is free at point of use. Brits invented computers, Television and the internet while the US's best claim is that they invented the light bulb...a number of years after a scot did it.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(December 10, 2015 at 2:20 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Greatest at what?

That's the point the character made in the video actually. We lead in categories you really don't want to lead in. Smile.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
Would Americans really be annoyed if a political candidate said that America isn't the greatest country?

I don't think my country is the best, though it's a pretty good place to live
Well I mean it's pretty obvious that [REDACTED] is the greatest, duh but that's off topic....
To be honest, whilst the west has its drawbacks, can you think of anywhere else you'd rather live?

Along with some of the tiger economies, higher proportions of the population enjoy the greatest standard of living, highest rates of educational attainment, low death rates and constantly rising lifr expectancy.

We in the west live in a technological and medical wonderland. Things aren't perfect, and nobody is claiming that things are of course, but still.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(December 10, 2015 at 2:20 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: England is obviously the best country in the world.

Yeah but you drink your beer warm so that pretty much rules you out.
Quote:Would Americans really be annoyed if a political candidate said that America isn't the greatest country?

Many would be fucking furious.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An interesting read concerning atheism in america. brewer 11 666 January 3, 2022 at 12:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Andrew Zimmern, "What's Eating America".. Brian37 36 3648 February 17, 2020 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Born in the wrong country Alexmahone 3 873 April 20, 2018 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
  Coming to America Cyberman 49 4100 January 13, 2018 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Space Slug / Greatest movie one criteria hostile merger! ignoramus 8 1317 September 14, 2017 at 7:46 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Things You Don't Like About Other Countries ( America Gets Immunity) Amarok 61 9080 April 11, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What's your favorite thing about the country you live in? Edwardo Piet 48 8044 February 9, 2017 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why <insert-country-name-here> is a disgrace! Tiberius 29 6039 February 6, 2016 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Today I visited the largest ______ in North America... Mudhammam 11 2491 September 27, 2015 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  To everyone: do you pay to visit the beach in your country? rado84 53 9639 July 22, 2015 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie