Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 11:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A cancer diagnosis suspends Christopher Hitchens' book tour
RE: A cancer diagnosis suspends Christopher Hitchens' book tour
Hitchens Speaks about his cancer on Anderson Cooper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeiS7hYbb8c
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(August 5, 2010 at 4:53 am)tackattack Wrote: Eil's article was far more accurate and less biased then the one you linked leo. I hope Mr HWhile I agree that he was being condescneding and twitish in places (and probably has a history of that) and I don't feel any1 should really comment on someone elses misery other than solely supportive comments, the overall message I got was just to pray for his well being. I hope Mr. Hitchens pulls through.

No, it wasn't a message to pray for Hitchens health, it was a message to pray for him to abandon his beliefs and a unique form of victim blaming (he "deserved" it - as if all the myriad good people, Christians or not, who developed cancer deserved it).

It is villainous and vile, and should be treated as such.

A good man, Christian or not, would look upon this terrible time as an opportunity to wish well to the health of Hitchens, caring not for the efficacy, but only for a small act of kindness.

The awful man in question who is blaming Hitchens is nothing but awful and at least a not a good man.

This is 8 years of Lutheran training speaking in tandem with my three years of atheism. Bite me.
I know nothing of the man who wrote the article Syn and you're entitled to whtever opinion you like. I was just commenting on what I read from a Christian perspective. Hitchens says himself there are great multitudes of people praying for his health OR his religious efficacy and in some cases both. The article I felt was more in the lines of a both article at it's worst and my read was leaning more towards a get better prayer. However I have no backstory on the writer, if he's constantly berating atheists in other articles and looking for them to change their tune this of course isn't a good thing. The article referenced though would, in comparison, seem even more tame and benial and geared towards his recovery physically not spiritually, IMO.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anti-cancer Xyster 2 2173 May 11, 2012 at 10:48 am
Last Post: Xyster
  Hitchens vs Blair Ashendant 8 4092 December 1, 2010 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: technophobe