Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, I'm the Godhead
RE: Hi, I'm the Godhead
Hi, Godhead, you seem cool or interesting. well, at least your beliefs. Nice to meet-cha.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
Paul -

I don't agree that panentheism is sexed up atheism, although it does make it sound glamorous. I'm not an atheist because I believe in god. It's just that my ideas about god are quite different to the kind of god that many atheists usually talk about. It's conceiveable that if I were to go on a christian forum, depending on what kind of forum it is and who's there, I could find myself being ridiculed by the christians there because I don't believe what they believe. I'm kind of pig in the middle.

Cego -

That's good to hear.
(July 4, 2010 at 10:59 am)Godhead Wrote: Paul -

I don't agree that panentheism is sexed up atheism, although it does make it sound glamorous. I'm not an atheist because I believe in god.

You misunderstand. Pantheism is (basically) the worship of the natural universe, atheism that includes spiritual unity with all that is. I was asking if Panentheism (note the spelling difference) is basically deism.
I'd rather Dr. Goodhead than Mr. Godhead here...

/James Bond FTW
Paul -

There are so many eisms around, I don't know. I'm not that familiar with deism. I'm not even sure if I worship the universe. I suppose if worshipping means acknowledging, then yes, I acknowledge that everything is one. If that's worshipping then fair enough. But I'm very casual about it, I don't look up at the sky and start crying or praising or thanking or anything like that. To be honest it's not even something that I think about an awful lot, only when I feel that it's relevant or if I find myself philosophising. But I still don't see how panentheism is similar to atheism, the only similarity is that we both don't believe in traditional gods. However, if I hear a christian or muslim mention god, I usually equate it with what I believe in. When it gets into specific scriptural stuff, I usually don't go with it, but I the basics are the same : A creator (or as I'd say, manifestor, as I don't believe in never-having-existed-ness, which is what creating implies, although casually, I'm happy to use that word). Also, because I don't believe that the universe just happened by itself (at least without consciousness), I can't be an atheist. At least I don't think so.
(July 4, 2010 at 9:29 am)Godhead Wrote: Evidence? I certainly have a conviction, and the word "evidence" comes from "conviction", after all, one man's evidence is another man's nonsense, depending on their initial belief system and their premises about life. I'm convinced. But evidence in the sense that you mean, ie something that you can get your teeth into, no none. I believe in intelligent design although I'm not really that familiar with the "official" explanation, but I do believe that the universe is a creation, or more accurately, a manifestation of god. And yes that is based on feeling, that's what has led me to my way of thinking, but that feeling has never been shown to be incorrect, so I continue with it. I wouldn't convince you. I wouldn't really give it any serious attempt. In my view it doesn't even matter what one believes. No hell, no punishment, none of that. So I don't feel the need to convince although I do like talking about my views. And I don't think you would make any serious attempt at convincing me that your view is correct. Or would you?

The word evidence does not come from conviction. The word evidence comes from the Latin word ēvidentia, which means "proof".

Conviction comes from convict, and we all know what convicts are. In all seriousness, the word conviction comes form the Latin word convictiō, meaning "proof of guilt".
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
Do you align with any ideology at all Godhead? So far I think you've indicated universal consciousness, maybe reincarnation fits into that, and a personal deity you pray to. Would that be correct? (Just trying to understand Wink)
Hi and welcome Godhead

You have interesting views. Rather too fuzzy for my liking, but interesting all the same.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
Fr0d0 -

I go with what feels right to me, whether or not it fits with anyone else's views. Universal consciousness, yes, I believe in that. Reincarnation too. Personal deity no, as I believe that god is literally everything, therefore everyone, and I don't pray, I just have a moan at him from time to time. And I believe in sychronicity, in that events are conscious. Everything, rocks and chairs too, even the relationships between all things, is conscious. I don't think anything exists except consciousness.

Caecilian -

Yes my views are strange, I know.
(July 4, 2010 at 12:18 pm)Godhead Wrote: But I still don't see how panentheism is similar to atheism, the only similarity is that we both don't believe in traditional gods.

*chuckles* You still misunderstand. I didn't say that panentheism is similar to atheism. I said pantheism is similar to atheism (in that it does not include a supernatural being.). Panentheism and pantheism are two different things. From what I have read, panentheism is similar to deism in that it claims the existence of a creator being, but does not accept the various written scriptures as truth.