Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding infinitesimals
RE: Adding infinitesimals
(March 15, 2016 at 8:02 am)Alex K Wrote:
(March 15, 2016 at 7:56 am)Jehanne Wrote: Thanks; that makes the concept much clearer.  When I first took calculus 30 years ago, the class was not taught with infinitesimals; in fact, they weren't even mentioned.

Maybe not exactly in this form, on usually talks about Leibniz's differentials dx or whatever you want to call them. You must have used the Leibniz calculus df/dx and all that in differentiation and integration, right?

My classes used the standard 3-semester textbook, with the introduction to calculus being based upon limits.  I am sure that limits and infinitesimals are intimately related; however, approaching things from the perspective of infinitesimals has, for me at least, made things easier to understand.
(March 15, 2016 at 10:27 am)robvalue Wrote: Now those do sound like robot acrobats Tongue

I like christoids better.
No-one does acrobatics as well or as often.

Hey Rob, what's the square root of infinity?
Use crayons to explain it better for me if you need to.
Also infinity divided by infinity =1. Obviously! Now where's my Nobel prize?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Lol good point Big Grin

The square root of infinity is colon surgery.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 15, 2016 at 9:33 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(March 15, 2016 at 8:02 am)Alex K Wrote: Maybe not exactly in this form, on usually talks about Leibniz's differentials dx or whatever you want to call them. You must have used the Leibniz calculus df/dx and all that in differentiation and integration, right?

My classes used the standard 3-semester textbook, with the introduction to calculus being based upon limits.  I am sure that limits and infinitesimals are intimately related; however, approaching things from the perspective of infinitesimals has, for me at least, made things easier to understand.

My calculus lectures at Uni were done by pure mathematicians and also didn't use the dx symbols. Doing it using limits is more rigorous I guess, or at least more obviously rigorous Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Are there infinitesimal oxymoron's? Like jumbo shrimp?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Army intelligence?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Gigantic infinitesimal. Galactic infinitesimal.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
My personal favorite, for gravitational lensing- "Taking a galaxy as a point mass...". Freaked out a lot of kids in physics class. I just rolled with it. The universe is a really big place, and galaxies aren't all that big, relatively speaking.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.