Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Love
RE: Love
(June 14, 2016 at 1:15 pm)JuliaL Wrote: I try to avoid using the word.
It has too many subjective meanings to be used in interpersonal communication.
Your listener will install their own meaning regardless of your intent, rendering the process worse than void.

For example:
I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
I love my spouse and would die in their stead.
This does not not mean I feel the same way about my spouse as I do about sandwiches.

Not even pastrami on rye??

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
"I can promise you" I will never read anything that follows those words, ever. What kind of expert are you that I need to listen to your promises?
(June 14, 2016 at 6:09 pm)Rhythm Wrote: I'm willing to bet alot would agree.......but even in that, you're not going to hear much "she/he's butt ugly, but I love him/her."  You'll hear alot more about his/her interesting lines, distinctive features.  We find things to be attracted to, in the people to whom we're attracted.

Rhythm,

It appears some of our thoughts have been similar.  It may be thought that people may have a combination of ugly parts and beautiful/handsome parts, more ugly parts than beautiful/handsome parts or more beautiful/handsome parts than ugly parts or 50% ugly parts and 50% beautiful/handsome parts.  Some people may think that if you have only one small imperfection then you're ugly in appearance.  It may be thought that how high the level of ugly is, it should not change the high level of goodwill towards humanity, including severely physically disabled people.  Some people may think it's right that the parents of a severely physically disabled person tell that person that they love them.
(June 14, 2016 at 7:43 pm)Thomas Kelly252525 Wrote:
(June 14, 2016 at 6:09 pm)Rhythm Wrote: I'm willing to bet alot would agree.......but even in that, you're not going to hear much "she/he's butt ugly, but I love him/her."  You'll hear alot more about his/her interesting lines, distinctive features.  We find things to be attracted to, in the people to whom we're attracted.

Rhythm,

It appears some of our thoughts have been similar.  It may be thought that people may have a combination of ugly parts and beautiful/handsome parts, more ugly parts than beautiful/handsome parts or more beautiful/handsome parts than ugly parts or 50% ugly parts and 50% beautiful/handsome parts.  Some people may think that if you have only one small imperfection then you're ugly in appearance.  It may be thought that how high the level of ugly is, it should not change the high level of goodwill towards humanity, including severely physically disabled people.  Some people may think it's right that the parents of a severely physically disabled person tell that person that they love them.

Wut.

Physical attraction is subjective. And also, being physically disabled doesn't stop a person from being attractive. I think there's no such thing as 45% ugly and 55% beautiful.

Most people don't fall in love with people they're not attracted to, it doesn't mean that person is ugly or that the person not attracted to them is shallow.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(June 14, 2016 at 7:49 pm)Losty Wrote:
(June 14, 2016 at 7:43 pm)Thomas Kelly252525 Wrote: Rhythm,

Wut.

Physical attraction is subjective. And also, being physically disabled doesn't stop a person from being attractive. I think there's no such thing as 45% ugly and 55% beautiful.

Most people don't fall in love with people they're not attracted to, it doesn't mean that person is ugly or that the person not attracted to them is shallow.

Losty,

By saying attraction is subjective, do you think it means it's bias ?

I wasn't saying physically disabled people don't have any beautiful/handsome parts.

Why may you think there's no such thing as 45% ugly and 55% beautiful ?

Maybe we'll agree there is rational thinking in goodwill towards people.  Like I said before in this thread, a person may be thought of as being ugly and having rational character and some people may think it's right to marry them.

Are you thinking that some people won't be pleased by a mostly beautiful/handsome person ?
I feel like there's a language barrier. I struggle to understand what you're trying to say.

When I say attraction is subjective I mean I may find someone quite endearing to look at even though someone else thinks they're ugly and another person thinks they're just ok.

I reject your percentages of ugly and beautiful because I think it's a silly notion.

I agree that it's only rational to have goodwill towards people regardless of whether they're ugly or beautiful. People should marry whomever they love, but if they love the person I doubt they consider them to be ugly just because you or I might.

0/10

(June 14, 2016 at 9:14 pm)Losty Wrote: I feel like there's a language barrier. I struggle to understand what you're trying to say.

When I say attraction is subjective I mean I may find someone quite endearing to look at even though someone else thinks they're ugly and another person thinks they're just ok.

I reject your percentages of ugly and beautiful because I think it's a silly notion.

I agree that it's only rational to have goodwill towards people regardless of whether they're ugly or beautiful. People should marry whomever they love, but if they love the person I doubt they consider them to be ugly just because you or I might.

Losty,

By saying ...another person thinks they're just ok, do you think that means that they don't think they are beautiful or ugly but in reality they may be beautiful or ugly ?

If you reject the percentages of ugly and beautiful because you think it's a silly notion, will you explain why you think that ?

You showing your agreement in part of what you said is valued and even though we appear to disagree in other parts, this discussion is valued.

Are you thinking a person may be pleased by the sight of another person and not think they're ugly and in reality they are not ugly but some people may think they are ugly ?

I added a question later by editing to a post I sent to you.  Did you see it ?  You may look at it below.

Are you thinking that some people won't be pleased by a mostly beautiful/handsome person ?
(June 14, 2016 at 9:52 pm)Thomas Kelly252525 Wrote:
(June 14, 2016 at 9:14 pm)Losty Wrote: I feel like there's a language barrier. I struggle to understand what you're trying to say.

Losty,

By saying ...another person thinks they're just ok, do you think that means that they don't think they are beautiful or ugly but in reality they may be beautiful or ugly ?

If you reject the percentages of ugly and beautiful because you think it's a silly notion, will you explain why you think that ?

You showing your agreement in part of what you said is valued and even though we appear to disagree in other parts, this discussion is valued.

Are you thinking a person may be pleased by the sight of another person and not think they're ugly and in reality they are not ugly but some people may think they are ugly ?

I added a question later by editing to a post I sent to you.  Did you see it ?  You may look at it below.

Are you thinking that some people won't be pleased by a mostly beautiful/handsome person ?

Your questions make no sense. Beauty is subjective.

I am saying that no people are objectively beautiful or ugly.

I may think someone is beautiful and you may think they're ugly. In reality they are neither beautiful nor ugly they just look however they look. You can only define beauty for yourself. You cannot define it for someone else.

"Are you thinking that some people won't...."
No. I'm thinking that everyone has their own standards. Everyone thinks a bit differently.

I think that most people do not place physical appearance at the top or the bottom of their list of important things when they're choosing a partner.

0/10

(June 14, 2016 at 9:05 pm)Thomas Kelly252525 Wrote: Why may you think there's no such thing as 45% ugly and 55% beautiful ?

How about 46.2378%? That's the Beauty Factor® rating that really matters in everyday beauty usage. Make sure to check it with your Beautometer 2100™ for the most accurate measurements currently available.

OR. . .

(June 14, 2016 at 10:01 pm)Losty Wrote:
(June 14, 2016 at 9:52 pm)Thomas Kelly252525 Wrote: Losty,

Your questions make no sense. Beauty is subjective.

I am saying that no people are objectively beautiful or ugly.

I may think someone is beautiful and you may think they're ugly. In reality they are neither beautiful nor ugly they just look however they look. You can only define beauty for yourself. You cannot define it for someone else.

"Are you thinking that some people won't...."
No. I'm thinking that everyone has their own standards. Everyone thinks a bit differently.

I think that most people do not place physical appearance at the top or the bottom of their list of important things when they're choosing a partner.

Losty,

It appears we may disagree about my questions making no sense.

Do you think no one is unbiased in judging what is beautiful and what is ugly ? You may do a comparison of the words "unbiased" and "subjective" and think of what is rational.

Do you think that beautiful and ugly don't exist and people judge what is beautiful and what is ugly ?

I think beautiful may be defined - pleasing the senses or mind aesthetically.  Do you agree that's the definition ?

About people having their own standard of what is beautiful and what is ugly, it may be thought it's impossible to judge the difference if beautiful and ugly don't exist.

I don't mean this arrogantly.  By saying that most people don't place physical appearance at the top or bottom of their list of important things when they're choosing a partner.  Do you think a person needs to have interviewed enough adult persons in the whole world to know what is true ?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts on Courtly love (aka platonic love) Macoleco 16 1162 September 11, 2022 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Jehanne