Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too lazy to debate
RE: Too lazy to debate
I must admit after having spent time and effort over and over only to hear absurdities over and over, I spend less time on debate. There are better uses for my time like, laundry and weeding, or a good book.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
I don't really debate as I used to, either. I was really into it in the early 2000s on a different site. But here I am nearly two decades later, and I'm just bored with the theists' arguments. I've heard them so many times, and there are only so many ways to say, "Great. Now what's your evidence for your imaginary friend?"

I'd rather vent my scorn and then move onto something more interesting -- which would be almost anything else.
(September 6, 2016 at 9:31 pm)Mamacita Wrote: I have a cousin who loves to go into people's fb posts and argue. I'm way past my debating stage. Two or three years ago, bring it. I loved it. Now I just don't see the fun in it. I'm just going to get annoyed by the same ol' arguments, same questions, same "personal experiences".

So, here I am on a debate forum telling you I'm too lazy to debate.

Are you still debating theists? How do you find the drive to continue to answer to the same things over and over again?

- So if god doesn't exist, big bang theory has the purpose of being born randomly then death...

Wtf! Bla bla bla

#offtopicjunkie

I'm definitely not too lazy to debate in general, but I've always been too lazy to debate Christianity. 
I was raised with Christianity, and came to my own personal conclusion that it's a myth.
I live in a part of England where Christians aren't worrying in the slightest.

I used to be very much into debating Islam.  I'm surrounded by Muslims and Mosques and I always found the debate more of a challenge since it's a religion I knew nothing about which involved research.
I don't live around white Christian rednecks or whatever you might experience in America.  I live around Muslim gangs, the grooming gangs, no go areas for white non Muslims, the drug dealing gangs and so on.
Not that I'm saying these problems are specific to Muslims, I'm saying if you live around rednecks you experience the bad parts of that, I've only ever seen that sort of culture on television. My experience is different.

I don't really debate Islam much anymore because I was banned from their forums ages ago, just before I came to this forum.

On this forum I don't debate religion much because it's more enjoyable and challenging for me to debate about something that most people disagree with me on.  It's better for me to debate topics like politics on this forum or issues surrounding politics.

I used to think debating was pretty much useless arguing but over the years I've done a lot of research into various topics and I believe I've learned quite a lot.  Mostly about evolution.
It's very apparent when I talk to some friends who never debate, who've never had their opinions questioned and in some cases only form their opinions during the conversation.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Years ago I read a quote by Christopher Hitchens:

"Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.”

I choose my battles, though.  I often have other, more immediate priorities like making dinner or checking my child's homework. But it's good to be engaged with the world. As Hitch said, there will be plenty of time for disengagement after the big sleep comes.
I've stopped debating for a myriad of reasons, but the biggest one is that so many people refuse to see or accept the flaws you point out in their claims. Then they just continue to push those same claims while still refusing to acknowledge the holes you've put in them. Debates can't work if one side refuses to let anything from the other side sink in, which pretty much sums up what it's like to debate a Christian.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I wish I was unlazy enough to have all these good reasons not to debate or to debate. Instead, all I have is that I'm lazy. Maybe there are more impediments, but I'm too lazy to note them.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
I love debating theists. I just had a small debate with a theist on a friend's wall the other night.

If you want, you can give him my FB and I will debate the fucking hell out of your cousin.

facebook.com/wolfenstorm
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(September 6, 2016 at 9:31 pm)Mamacita Wrote: How do you find the drive to continue to answer to the same things over and over again?

I have debated theists enough that it is not so much answering the same questions over and over as it has become a routine whereby I can easily respond to their inane questions without much thought anymore.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I find debating on the internet makes me angry and resentful.

I don't like being angry and resentful. So I stopped doing it, generally. I still allow myself to be roped in, but afterwards it always reaffirms why I stopped getting into it on the interwebs with most people.

Now there are a limited subset of people that I will still engage with, because I know we can have a reasonable exchange of ideas, or else I think I can convince them of something. Usually with the latter, we are really closely aligned to begin with.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I'm also an off topic junkie. Why debate religion? I don't care what you think anyways so just keep on thinking it. Fine by me. I'll be off banning some loser above me and playing Mafia.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It' s never too late to start onlinebiker 2 398 October 18, 2021 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Spooky
  Lazy #!\*%$ onlinebiker 22 977 August 26, 2020 at 6:36 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Debate solely through the medium of memes Jacob(smooth) 6601 740740 April 13, 2020 at 4:27 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Lazy People's Tricks. Gawdzilla Sama 34 2412 March 27, 2019 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Strangers are people too Godscreated 12 927 December 20, 2018 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  I’m too old for this shit! J a c k 42 2961 September 26, 2018 at 10:34 am
  I did it and you should too. Brian37 41 3918 August 25, 2018 at 7:24 pm
  For those who understand the law better than me (would you want it this way too?) Foxaèr 9 1150 July 27, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is it too early to start drinking? Gawdzilla Sama 13 1399 July 22, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Too sexy for my computer Foxaèr 40 7912 May 13, 2018 at 2:54 am
Last Post: Succubus