Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures)
[split] The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures)
I'll be sticking around for Mafia and hell, in all honesty I probably won't succeed at pulling myself away from AF but I'm gonna try. I thought I was a valuable member of the community but nowadays I get compared to the troublemakers when I struggle to not respond to them... even though I've always been that way. I don't understand it. I'm no different to I've ever been and I feel like most people used to like me here. Now I just feel so worthless and I don't understand it. I don't want to stick around if I'm bad for the community. It's going to be hard to quit though. I'm not going to pretend I'm gonna be successfully quitting. I'll probably struggle to stop posting. I'm gonna try though. And I'm definitely going to play Mafia when my ban ends.

Tired of some of my friends drifting away too. I just thought that internet friendships could be meaningful too. They always were to me. I feel so depressed.
RE: The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures)
(December 4, 2016 at 11:57 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: I'll be sticking around for Mafia and hell, in all honesty I probably won't succeed at pulling myself away from AF but I'm gonna try. I thought I was a valuable member of the community but nowadays I get compared to the troublemakers when I struggle to not respond to them... even though I've always been that way. I don't understand it. I'm no different to I've ever been and I feel like most people used to like me here. Now I just feel so worthless and I don't understand it. I don't want to stick around if I'm bad for the community. It's going to be hard to quit though. I'm not going to pretend I'm gonna be successfully quitting. I'll probably struggle to stop posting. I'm gonna try though. And I'm definitely going to play Mafia when my ban ends.

Tired of some of my friends drifting away too. I just thought that internet friendships could be meaningful too. They always were to me. I feel so depressed.

Love you, squirrel. Thank you for not giving up on me. I'm sorry that I'm not always around. I promise that when I get through this, I'll make it up to you.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(December 4, 2016 at 11:57 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: I'll be sticking around for Mafia and hell, in all honesty I probably won't succeed at pulling myself away from AF but I'm gonna try. I thought I was a valuable member of the community but nowadays I get compared to the troublemakers when I struggle to not respond to them... even though I've always been that way. I don't understand it. I'm no different to I've ever been and I feel like most people used to like me here. Now I just feel so worthless and I don't understand it. I don't want to stick around if I'm bad for the community. It's going to be hard to quit though. I'm not going to pretend I'm gonna be successfully quitting. I'll probably struggle to stop posting. I'm gonna try though. And I'm definitely going to play Mafia when my ban ends.

Evie, internet friendships can be meaningful. One incident where a mod made an off-hand comment does not make you not valuable to the community. I wonder almost if you have really specific expectations for your friends and are let down if they don't fit that mold. Some people make sarcastic comments, even if they like you. Some people let communication lapse, not because they don't like you, but because they have busy lives or aren't as communicative as you are. Ultimately, it's up to you to take people as they are. Anyway, I don't want to get too into it because I don't think it's healthy for you to dwell on it or for me to try to reassure you. Big Grin

Internet friendships can be meaningful, and often are...I've experienced a few. Quitting AF isn't really going to bring you peace, because you could join another forum, and have the same experience. You have to change how you see yourself, and not view yourself as worthy or not worthy, because of the interactions you're having online. If you want to take a break, no one needs to know that, just take a break. Or post less. Or post a lot. lol I think that you have to adjust how you see yourself, and how much importance you place on how others view you. Once you do that, your experiences here will be better. Just my opinion.  Heart
Lol what the fuck is wrong/right from me. I go from having a terrible day and feeling super sad to feeling fucking amazing and loved Big Grin

I'm glad I hedged my bets and said I might not be able to succeed at leaving AF because fuck it my mood is not reliable Tongue

I feel welcome again Blush

It's lovely when people show they care Blush
(December 4, 2016 at 3:05 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Lol what the fuck is wrong/right from me. I go from having a terrible day and feeling super sad to feeling fucking amazing and loved Big Grin

I'm glad I hedged my bets and said I might not be able to succeed at leaving AF because fuck it my mood is not reliable Tongue

I feel welcome again Blush

It's lovely when people show they care Blush

Hammy, we love you. But you know what happened to the last guy that promised to leave alot. Yeah... Big Grin

I am kidding or not. WIFOM over that.
LOL Dude.

You gotta be kidding because I went out of my way to make it clear I was NOT promising Tongue I was practically wearing a flashing neon sign that says "PLEASE DON'T COMPARE ME TO THAT OTHER DOOFUS."

You're such a tease Tongue
(December 4, 2016 at 3:05 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Lol what the fuck is wrong/right from me. I go from having a terrible day and feeling super sad to feeling fucking amazing and loved Big Grin

Excellent, excellent! Now, if you'd just step over here for a second...

[Image: J2fpP12.gif]
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Evie, the reason I say reassurance isn't good for you is because the more you use it to feel better, the more you will need it to feel better. Learning to feel better without reassurance from others is ideal, but you probably know that already.
Oh I can feel better without reassurance. It just helps when the specific reason I'm not feeling good is because I'm feeling unwanted. It's good for my self-esteem. I know I don't need it, it just helps. So thank you so much. Heart

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Member Commentary on announcements and staff logs thread The Valkyrie 139 9724 July 6, 2022 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [split] PSA: Hate Speech (discussion of video etc) Huggy Bear 223 7026 May 3, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures) Mystical 5239 691412 May 3, 2019 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4043 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  [user split] Further Peanut Gallery Commentary on the Staff Log of Bannings and such. Angrboda 8 1408 September 29, 2018 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Banana split. Gawdzilla Sama 7 750 July 18, 2018 at 2:41 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  [split] AF Hall of Shame, various discussion including Denmark & bible contradiction Edwardo Piet 181 13001 March 1, 2018 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  [split] I Think I May Have Come Close to Dying Friday Night Jesster 229 28250 July 17, 2017 at 2:22 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  [split] Warm Greetings - The Not Welcome-y Stuff BrianSoddingBoru4 74 7770 May 24, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  [split] FSTDT Fundie Of The Year Awards 2015 Rev. Rye 173 39036 February 3, 2015 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Violet