Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists and individual purpose for existence.
Theists and individual purpose for existence.
During a discussion I was having regarding my having autism my friend (who normally doesn't talk about god) mentions how it has come about through God and is relevant to my purpose for being here. I got to thinking about individual calling, that is what suits a person vs. what betters society (not god's intervention, I disregarded that). As I have autism social obligation is something of a blind spot to me.

So I'm questioning whether anything which satisfies personal desires/dreams is the equivalent, in this context, to utilizing one's abilities to the fullest.
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.
RE: Theists and individual purpose for existence.
I guess my signature contains just about everything on my outlook on life.
Thanks Irh9
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.
I never could understand why we feel we need a purpose. I can see why theists want to believe that all things happen for a reason. It's been helping people sleep for centuries.

But if you look to the past.....well, I think of all the people who have ever lived......to no purpose. They formed one, I suppose. We like our jobs, we live to feed family and pets........but in my mind it all means nothing.

Look at old photos, like 1800's where everyone in them is now dead. Stare at it. It's really an obvious exercise but it's really powerful, too.

Everyone in the pics meant nothing. You might see the top of Lincoln's head, but anything anyone else did? Gone. Just like all we think is important.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have you ever said or done really stupid things on purpose just to feel less empty? Edwardo Piet 21 2097 October 14, 2017 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Low self esteem, feelings of worthlessness, and lack of purpose Catholic_Lady 63 8680 August 2, 2017 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, reta 9 2088 April 23, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  to spank or not to spank and the existence of god Mystical 19 2751 July 31, 2014 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Which Two Atheists and Two Theists are most different? Neo-Scholastic 6 2038 August 18, 2013 at 6:44 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What is the Real Purpose of an Atheist Forum? starbucks 21 8365 February 12, 2010 at 10:39 am
Last Post: tavarish