Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From the Sam Harris forum
RE: From the Sam Harris forum
Quote:Lol well, he has this whole "moral landscape" thing where he's suggesting some way of measuring how far away you are from the worst possible scenario.

I'd like to get as far away from Drumpf and his nazis as I can.  Does that count?
(January 10, 2017 at 10:08 pm)jdrnd Wrote: Do you like to eat human flesh?  Some of the members of the Sam Harris forum do, well maybe.

*gasp!*

Geez. .. . only babies, I hope? Cuz anything else would be kind of inappropriate.
Welcome... Didn't realize there was a Sam Harris forum, maybe I'll head over there and do some lurking
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

Welcome!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(January 11, 2017 at 5:57 pm)Brian37 Wrote: While I don't agree with everything Sam says, what exactly is wrong with making a living? If you write books, you market them. Harry Potter author does the same. If you want a shameless self promoter who doesn't get anything right and is a selfish fuck, well that asshole is going to take the oath on the 20th. 

I have read a couple of his books, and watched tons of his videos.

"The End of Faith" is a very apt description of how religion can lead humans to do very horrible things.

"Letter To A Christian Nation" also a very apt book describing why right wing Christians are wrong and why we most certainly ARE NOT a theocracy.

And his condemnation of Trump this past year is a very needed alarm unfortunately he and others were not widely listened to enough.

I do have problems with his promotion of Buddhism and his tendency to be over protective of Israel. But no, I don't think he is a shameless self promoter. I think he is merely earning a living selling what he believes can benefit humanity. I don't agree with all of it, no.

There is a vast difference between promoting yourself as an author to sell more books, and promoting yourself as an authority on a subject you know nothing about and not caring about all how you are misguiding people.

I wouldn't have anything against Sam Harris if he stuck to what he actually knew.