Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding the truth
Finding the truth
So, I'm a 17 year old guy from the Netherlands. I grew up in a christian family and believed in god like every child would in this situation. I've always had doubts whether or not I believed in the right god or if there even was any god at all, but I was told that doubts are normal and every christian has had them and will be stronger after it blablabla. So when I was younger I asked questions like "what will heaven be like?" and things like that. When I got older I was more interested in fallen angels and ghosts and all of that, so I started asking questions about them to my father. It didn't really make any sense to me, but it sounded cool so I kinda accepted it. Also, my father said that it's dangerous to be too busy with this subject cause he has heard stories about ghosts visiting people and bothering them and stuff. My doubts grew and I was questioning my beliefs more and more. I was told to pray to god and ask if he would show himself to me, because who seeks shall find. So basically I've been praying to this god for all of my life and what did I get in return? Nothing. About half a year ago it didn't make any sense to me anymore. If there was a god, why would he let all of this horrible stuff in the world happen? Why doesn't he answer any prayers at all? Why did he give us a shitty bible that doesn't contain any evidence, only contradictions and crazy stories? Why would he do some non meaningful miracle like healing someone from a headache and at the same time let innocent children that are being prayed for starve to death?
I started looking into the arguments for christianity and atheïsm. It was very helpful to be interested in fallacies, since almost all arguments for christianity are fallacious. I've been trying to find the truth all of my life and right now I do not believe in the excistence of a god. Sure, there might someone or something that created us, I leave the option open. Whether it is some kind of god, an alien, other people who are using us as an expiriment or whatever, it is possible. Do I believe it? No. There is no evidence for such a thing and there is plenty of good arguments for evolution.
It is really hard to live in a family where everyone does believe in a god. I've had long debates about it with my parents, but I still have to waste time going to church. To my grandparents and other family members I have to lie and act like I still believe it, or they'll go crazy. I see people being brainwashed into this toxic belief system all the time. It makes people feel bad about themselfes for no reason. All achievements someone has made are not special because "god gave you the talent to...". I'm very glad that I'm skeptic and don't just believe anything, especially when very important dicisions are based on it. I'm asking very hard questions to my father and religious people I know so hopefully they will start doubting their beliefs and don't try to force it into other people. 
So that's my story, not the most special one but if you've made it this far it was probably interesting enough  Big Grin  I didn't go into too much detail so please ask any questions you might have. 

PS I don't want to share my real name since someone I know might recognize me and get me into unwanted trouble
RE: Finding the truth
Good for you matey...

One word of advice...
Don't bother arguing or trying to convince anyone ...
Just go with the flow, tell your loved ones what they want to hear and smile a lot!

Treat their beliefs like kids who believe in Santa! What's the point of upsetting them?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Have you eaten babies yet, though? Heart
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(January 23, 2017 at 5:55 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Good for you matey...

One word of advice...
Don't bother arguing or trying to convince anyone ...
Just go with the flow, tell your loved ones what they want to hear and smile a lot!

Treat their beliefs like kids who believe in Santa! What's the point of upsetting them?
Thanks for replying!
Arguing can't really be avoided in this situation since they will start it and I will have to defend myself or they force me to do something like going to church. I don't want to go there so I ask questions and give arguments and hopefully they let me choose for myself.. It worked before (don't have to go to catachism anymore). But yeah I agree, trying to convince them usually upsets them and gets you nowhere. I don't really care what they believe, as long as they don't try to force their beliefs into me
Church? Try the "I have to Pee" escape. About 5 to 10 min into the proceedings tell them that you have to pee and don't return. Two or three services in a row should convince them of their futility.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Or better still, do a poo in the pew!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Haha dont think they would ever want me back if i did that, so it might be the right thing to do

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Ex-muslim and the truth about islam Methamphetamine 9 941 August 21, 2023 at 11:19 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Truth hurts... Mystic 14 7925 November 13, 2017 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Brian37