Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prison got me thinking about atheism
Prison got me thinking about atheism
Went from Catholicism to atheist in 1 year.

No, I didn't go to prison, see below.

Story is simple; I asked around for a roughly year why there were 100% of theists in prison, and 0% atheists. (I am from a cold place, too paranoid to tell)

Got no answers.

Slowly began to throw away religion.

I went from kneeling down to pray, every night, to being disgusted by religion. 

This was a hard process especially with the fact that my family were initially regular church goers. (and so are many of the surrounding sheeple, you know, people that behave like herded sheep)

Now I want to rid the planet of churches, to see if this would reduce the percentage of theists in prison.
RE: Prison got me thinking about atheism
Welcome
(February 12, 2017 at 4:41 am)Bella Morte Wrote: Welcome

Thanks
@OP

I'm pretty certain that this is because atheists in US prisons are strongly compelled to hide their nonbelief in order to increase their chances to have their sentences reduced for good conduct. Claiming to have become a better Christian and thus be redeemed is still one of the more obvious ways to convince your average american small time judge that you're good now. There are certainly not 0% atheists in prison.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

OP, The Americans like to say that guns don't kill people, people kill people.
It also makes sense that bibles don't kill people, people kill people.

Welcome by the way...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Welcome!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Yes, welcome!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome

And I don't think there are 0% atheists in the prison, but atheists would certainly be less likely to break the law because they believe in those same man-made laws and know the consequences, whereas theists tend to believe in the open-to-interpretation-not-man-made laws and often seem to not care about real world consequences.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Welcome.

Does church = prison?

Both contain atheists.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(February 12, 2017 at 4:32 am)Reasoned Wrote: Now I want to rid the planet of churches, to see if this would reduce the percentage of theists in prison.

Be extremely careful what you wish for. Its very easy to visualize a world where there are no theists and how wonderful that would be yada yada yada. But then I go out into the real world and I'm instantly reminded just how armed and angry and stupid so many of the people are and then I remember that having an invisible sky daddy around who will punish you forever if you fuck up too badly is probably a good thing.

I genuinely believe there are still lots of people around who may or may not be active church going theists. But they know about the prison system and what that entails and they aren't afraid of it. But they also know that this god thing and this hell thing might exist. They don't know for sure, but they know that it might. And that is what keeps them from going full metal jacket anytime someone annoys them slightly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How I Got Over Rhondazvous 17 3038 May 10, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  What was I even ever thinking? katiefranco 5 2094 November 18, 2013 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Owlix
Question a slow but sure process towards rational thinking @heist 5 3386 January 9, 2012 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Thinking about converting, but what if I do go to Hell??... dave4shmups 47 13680 September 12, 2010 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: dave4shmups
  How I got Out of Religion. Rev. Rye 86 25311 March 12, 2010 at 7:59 am
Last Post: tackattack