Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 6:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SpaceX moon trip 2018
SpaceX moon trip 2018
So you guys probably heard that SpaceX wants to send two tourists round the moon next year, right? Exciting!

I'm trying to find out whether there will be a test flight around the moon with an un(wo)manned Falcon Heavy rocket maybe this year. Has anyone any info about that? I read that a Falcon Heavy test flight is planned for this Summer, but not whether it'll be around the moon.

And of course, for the sake of fair and balanced journalism, we need to hear from the other side:

The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: SpaceX moon trip 2018
Yeah two anonymous billionaires and one of them is probably Yuri Milner. I just wonder if it would be possible to make a vehicle that could directly land on the Moon and then take off from it. If there was a runaway could something like an airplane land on it/ take off?
(March 3, 2017 at 10:14 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Yeah two anonymous billionaires and one of them is probably Yuri Milner. I just wonder if it would be possible to make a vehicle that could directly land on the Moon and then take off from it. If there was a runaway could something like an airplane land on it/ take off?

In that case I hope Milner leaves a thorough will ensuring that his estate keeps supporting science if he crashes into the moon Smile

An Airplane won't do much good, no atmosphere worth mentioning. Also, having to stop at all and then having to carry the fuel to accelerate back to earth makes a huge difference vs. just slingshotting around the moon at full speed. Even Apollo kept the main craft in orbit.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

No atmosphere at the moon means the craft has to burn fuel to a complete stop at the surface instead of bleeding off speed thru aerodynamic drag effects like we see at earth during re-entry.

And at the moon, you also have to burn fuel during landing to decelerate all the fuel you need to take off again. This means you need a much bigger rocket to start with back home to lift all that fuel in the first place.

Just looping around the moon and returning to earth is an EXTREMELY challenging mission. I would strenuously object to such a flight with people without a successful unmanned test flight first.

Also, the heatshield used when returning to earth will need to be uprated from an orbital design as the speed is much higher, like 50% or so IIRC.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 3, 2017 at 11:02 am)vorlon13 Wrote: No atmosphere at the moon means the craft has to burn fuel to a complete stop at the surface instead of bleeding off speed thru aerodynamic drag effects like we see at earth during re-entry.

And at the moon, you also have to burn fuel during landing to decelerate all the fuel you need to take off again.  This means you need a much bigger rocket to start with back home to lift all that fuel in the first place.

Just looping around the moon and returning to earth is an EXTREMELY challenging mission.  I would strenuously object to such a flight with people without a successful unmanned test flight first.

Also, the heatshield used when returning to earth will need to be uprated from an orbital design as the speed is much higher, like 50% or so IIRC.

I'd also think they have to successfully execute a complete unmanned test mission with all bells and whistles this summer in order to have a realistic chance to fly next year, but I haven't seen a schedule for that.

Yeah I know about the LEM but still maybe some way could be found. Maybe extra long highway around the moon for the plane to land and then to worn out and stop - but that is really far fetched. Or maybe incoming spacecraft spreads sails and then laser from the Moon pushes it and slows it down. But then again what would charge laser on the Moon? Maybe solar panels?
Deceleration could be done well above the lunarscape, no wind or air resistance to impede the landing.
extra long highway ?

plane ?

I'm not following at all.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I'm a big fan of Elon Musk but there are times when I question his judgement. This is one of them. This will certainly be a milestone if it happens but I question how high the confidence can be after a single test run. There is also the matter of how much radiation those passengers are going to take - even IF the sun stays quiet while they're out there. We now know the Apollo astronauts suffered some radiation damage. I doubt the Dragon capsule has any better shielding.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
This is once in a life time chance to see something few have had the opportunity to see with their own two eyes. Is it risky, hell yes it is! Is considered stupid to most humans, hell yes it is! But, a chance to leave the planet for week could really clear ones head from everyday stress.
     “A man isn't tiny or giant enough to defeat anything” Yukio Mishima

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Russian lunar lander added to the number of known craters on the moon. Anomalocaris 17 924 August 21, 2023 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Moon is part of Mars Anomalocaris 79 6531 June 17, 2019 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Science Channel, Jupiter, and it's moon Io. Brian37 6 1271 July 9, 2018 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  SpaceX Kung-Fu RetiredArmy 3 644 February 22, 2017 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  SpaceX Dragon launch today Alex K 0 666 January 6, 2015 at 3:35 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Moon Landing conspiracy lifesagift 117 15257 December 31, 2014 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Moon Landing: Fake or Real? BlackSwordsman 293 40708 August 21, 2014 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  moon landing hoax? xxxtobymac 65 12764 November 5, 2013 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Full Sun - Half Moon? Jiggerj 30 7020 October 27, 2013 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Captain Colostomy
  I want me a printed moon house. downbeatplumb 8 3594 February 2, 2013 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Cyberman