Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi! I'm new and stuff
RE: Hi! I'm new and stuff
(March 25, 2017 at 12:25 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Welcome!

Sorry your relationship with your father is strained. My relationship with my mom is much the same.

A long time ago I set a boundary for my mom, that if she crosses it---it's gonna get real, with the quickness. She chooses now not to cross that line, and our relationship is much the better.

I had a similar experience with my mother as well, as she as gotten older thought she stop caring about my Dad and I being Atheists. It's become a general understanding that if we don't raid each others believes were able to have a healthy relationship.

(March 25, 2017 at 12:58 am)godlessheatheness Wrote:
(March 25, 2017 at 12:16 am)Sterben Wrote: Welcome to board, you will many like minded people here, we all have different back stories on why we became Atheists, the fastest growing  method of thinking next to being a Muslim. Best of all were not assholes who shove it others faces. Unlike the people who knock on your door, or bother you in a parking lot....

Oh that reminds me, you mind if I tell you about my lord and savior, beating things with a hammer?

I don't have to worry about any rules besides not hitting people or other people's things!

Sure, as long the hammers are shaped in a funny manor.
     “A man isn't tiny or giant enough to defeat anything” Yukio Mishima

(March 25, 2017 at 1:04 am)Sterben Wrote:
(March 25, 2017 at 12:25 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: Welcome!

Sorry your relationship with your father is strained. My relationship with my mom is much the same.

A long time ago I set a boundary for my mom, that if she crosses it---it's gonna get real, with the quickness. She chooses now not to cross that line, and our relationship is much the better.

I had a similar experience with my mother as well, as she as gotten older thought she stop caring about my Dad and I being Atheists. It's become a general understanding that if we don't raid each others believes were able to have a healthy relationship.

(March 25, 2017 at 12:58 am)godlessheatheness Wrote: Oh that reminds me, you mind if I tell you about my lord and savior, beating things with a hammer?

I don't have to worry about any rules besides not hitting people or other people's things!

They come in all sorts of shapes! including funny!

also be sure to make your hammering as annoying as possible for those around you.
(March 25, 2017 at 1:25 am)godlessheatheness Wrote:
(March 25, 2017 at 1:04 am)Sterben Wrote:         I had a similar experience with my mother as well, as she as gotten older thought she stop caring about my Dad and I being Atheists. It's become a general understanding that if we don't raid each others believes were able to have a healthy relationship.

They come in all sorts of shapes! including funny!

also be sure to make your hammering as annoying as possible for those around you.
    If I only had a hammer.... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UKvpONl3No)
     “A man isn't tiny or giant enough to defeat anything” Yukio Mishima

(March 20, 2017 at 2:19 am)godlessheatheness Wrote: I guess I'll start with backstory. 

When I was young I was never taken to church, only when we went to my grandmothers house. My dad was big into preaching all the time but never practicing what he said. I remember trying to get my dad to go to church, even dragging my brother to a church down the street from us, and trying to get him to go. of course he never did. and I never actually had any interest in church I just wanted him to get out of the house. 

He refused and of course I made trouble and skipped school and did all kinds of other things to try and get him to pay attention to what was going on. 

I grew up and eventually moved with my mom. He became very super christian and started preaching to me harder, I tried. I really did. I wanted nothing more than to have something in common with him. I tried to believe. I prayed and went to multiple churches and according to his family when I confided in them I wasn't trying hard enough, or praying enough. I had too many questions and I have always felt like an outcast because of it. 

It never made sense to me and so I recently quit trying. I have found myself feeling better, and living a healthier lifestyle and happier since. 

I've also found something to submerge myself into and learn about and do everything to learn everything that I can so that when my dad finds out (and he will eventually) and he tries to debate me (this I know for a fact) I can win this time. 

I have become the thing he hated. A godless heathen. 

I won't be straw manned any more, and when I am I will be educated enough to fight back with logic and reason.

Hi godlessheatheness.  Since there is no God, all humans are, in fact, atheists, whether they know it or not.  Many, most don't, and it's not particularly anybody's job to "make" them know.  However, if you have not read these books already, they will give you a good deal of "ammo" in debating the "godly souls" that surround us all:

1) Richard Dawkins, "The God Delusion"
2) Christopher Hitchens, "god is not Great"
3) Sam Harris, "The End of Faith"
4) Lawrence Krauss, "A Universe from Nothing"
It is a sad thing not to have friends, but it is even sadder not to have enemies...(Ernesto Che' Guevara)
(March 20, 2017 at 2:19 am)godlessheatheness Wrote: I guess I'll start with backstory. 

When I was young I was never taken to church, only when we went to my grandmothers house. My dad was big into preaching all the time but never practicing what he said. I remember trying to get my dad to go to church, even dragging my brother to a church down the street from us, and trying to get him to go. of course he never did. and I never actually had any interest in church I just wanted him to get out of the house. 

He refused and of course I made trouble and skipped school and did all kinds of other things to try and get him to pay attention to what was going on. 

I grew up and eventually moved with my mom. He became very super christian and started preaching to me harder, I tried. I really did. I wanted nothing more than to have something in common with him. I tried to believe. I prayed and went to multiple churches and according to his family when I confided in them I wasn't trying hard enough, or praying enough. I had too many questions and I have always felt like an outcast because of it. 

It never made sense to me and so I recently quit trying. I have found myself feeling better, and living a healthier lifestyle and happier since. 

I've also found something to submerge myself into and learn about and do everything to learn everything that I can so that when my dad finds out (and he will eventually) and he tries to debate me (this I know for a fact) I can win this time. 

I have become the thing he hated. A godless heathen. 

I won't be straw manned any more, and when I am I will be educated enough to fight back with logic and reason.

Political leaders these days ....... seem like very godly, godless heathens.
After I got out of the USAF and went to college (during the mid 60's) I became a "hippy", long hair and all with definite liberal leanings my father nearly disowned me (he and my stepmother were John Birch members, at that time ultraconservative, so conservative they were convinced that anyone over 40 were to be eliminated when the Communists took the country over). He was so much against what I had come to see he even decided I wouldn't be able to graduate from college. We seldom talked, seemed to avoid each other.

Well I got a Ba in fine arts with a philosophy minor. He never acknowledged my accomplishment.

My situation wasn't as difficult as yours but it was still somewhat stressful. We later reconciled but that is another story.

In any case [Image: K8XXuiQ.gif?zoom=2]
Robert
Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New, and stuff TheBigOhMan 32 4402 June 8, 2013 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  New here and new to atheism UNCgirl 21 3657 March 7, 2013 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Fruity
  hello... and stuff ManMachine 6 1134 February 6, 2013 at 6:23 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  New New New Quid 23 4722 December 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Hello from a new atheist and a new member ssmutters 12 3161 August 9, 2010 at 7:14 am
Last Post: Super Cynic
  Stuff About Me...Why Not? solidsquid 2 2993 September 2, 2008 at 2:43 am
Last Post: solidsquid