Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bible Story Of Red Sea Parting 'May Be True'
Bible Story Of Red Sea Parting 'May Be True'
Quote:The Biblical story about the parting of the Red Sea may really have happened - with a little help from some freak weather conditions, say researchers.

A new computer modelling study, using information from the time, suggests that a powerful wind could have divided the waters, allowing Moses and the Israelites to escape Egypt.

A computer was used to simulate the impact of a strong overnight wind on the six-foot high waters.

The researchers found an east wind of 63mph blowing for 12 hours would have driven the shallow waters back, both into the lake and the river channel.

A "land bridge" two miles long and three miles wide would have been created by the retreating waters and it would have lasted for four hours - enough time for the Israelites to cross safely.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Strange...9415740044

Note that this article does not mention the need for divine intervention and the supposed place where this "miracle" happened is not in the Red Sea but an area of the Nile Delta region nearby. However, I will not be surprised if some theist morons attribute these "findings" as "proof" that their fairy tale is true and backed by science.

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Atheist I Evolved!
RE: Bible Story Of Red Sea Parting 'May Be True'
DiRNiS

This is nothing new I actually saw a program a couple of years ago where they were trying to explain the so called miracles of the bible through scientific methods. One major problem with this now is that scholars are now saying that they did not in fact cross the Red Sea but that in the bible Red Sea was a mistranslation of the Sea of Reeds.

http://www.crivoice.org/yamsuph.html You might find this article more illuminating and a bit interesting.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Thanks chatpilot, that's a very interesting read.

Of course, that's taking into account the whole story of Moses parting the waters with the help of god is a bullshit fairy tale, regardless of whether it can be explained by science or where it supposedly happened.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Atheist I Evolved!
I think all the so called miraculous stories of the bible are works of fiction, all part of an effort by the Hebrews to aggrandize their deity.

Stuff like this, even more extreme, gets passed around all the time.

I seem to remember last year, they were suppose to have found Noah's Arc. I mean, it's totally there...

...In the mountains... Somewhere...

It's just not there. But it's there!
I like the way you think!
...But please stop thinking, it's not you.
It turned out to be a fraud some guy that worked on that crew said that they actually bought wooden planks up there. Typical Christians trying desperately to validate their myths and fairy tales.

Not to mention conning the gullible out of a few more bucks.

Can't blame them for that. it works like a charm.
you can prove just about anything with facts.
I imagine that most of the stories in the bible have some basis in reality.

For instance the great flood might be based on the possibilty that the Black Sea flooded a few thousand years ago, driving out the inhabitants. When your world is the area you can walk in a day then your whole world has indeed flooded.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(September 23, 2010 at 7:45 am)Zen Badger Wrote: I imagine that most of the stories in the bible have some basis in reality.

For instance the great flood might be based on the possibilty that the Black Sea flooded a few thousand years ago, driving out the inhabitants. When your world is the area you can walk in a day then your whole world has indeed flooded.

Another possibility: The Genesis flood myth was likely derived originally from the epic of Gilgamesh-- and may have been originally based on particularly bad flooding between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. But yeah, "the world" for ancient peoples did not necessarily mean the entire globe of the earth (which wasn't considered to be globe-shaped anyway).

“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Richard Dawkins Suggests Feminists May Have Caused His Stroke mralstoner 45 9610 February 16, 2016 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  School Board in LA. may OK teaching Creationisim in Science classes Jaysyn 16 5019 August 3, 2010 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Thor
  Teacher may lose job after derogatory comments about her students on Facebook Autumnlicious 14 6077 February 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Ashes1995