Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Game #5
RE: Game #5
(April 6, 2017 at 10:28 am)emjay Wrote:
(April 6, 2017 at 10:24 am)Grandizer Wrote: I still think it has something to do with the vowels.

Rule #1 was broken! You have been banned from this thread for 1 minute.

The problem with that is the vowels are totally interchangeable as far as we've seen. So whatever the function is seems to strip them out entirely and/or give them all the same value if they're still relevant.

If so, then Rule 3 is looking to be a little too complicated to be just one simple rule.

(April 6, 2017 at 10:35 am)Grandizer Wrote:
(April 6, 2017 at 10:28 am)emjay Wrote: The problem with that is the vowels are totally interchangeable as far as we've seen. So whatever the function is seems to strip them out entirely and/or give them all the same value if they're still relevant.

If so, then Rule 3 is looking to be a little too complicated to be just one simple rule.

Yeah... that's part of the problem. But I might just be thinking like a programmer... it can take a complicated program/function to do what is, on paper, a simple thing. So if the function does do something like that, it would all be in the name of something much more intuitive when expressed in language... hopefully Wink

(April 6, 2017 at 10:33 am)Alex K Wrote: @
What I found interesting is that doubling a passing word doesn't yield one, e.g watchwatch doesn't pass.

Rule #3 was broken! You have been banned from this thread for 1 minute.

I keep coming back to thinking the length of the word factors in... say sum of letters (however it's calculated) mod number of characters or something, with the remainder signifying the number of vowels... so basically acting like a checksum type function?

@watchwatchwatch

Rule #2 was broken! You have been banned from this thread for 1 minute.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

@ Wink
watchwatchwatch

Rule #3 was broken! You have been banned from this thread for 1 minute.
if it was to do with mod, it might not make any difference if the same word was repeatedly concatinated... so that's making it seem less likely

This has to be something the everyday person can figure out. I think maybe we are over thinking it. Don't think tibs would have made it so that only those who work with computer programming could solve it. Tibs to a fair guy and even he said I was close to getting it. Go back and look at some of what I was doing to figure this out and try to remove the complicated stuff.

This isn't as heavy as it seems.

Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(April 6, 2017 at 10:59 am)Nymphadora Wrote: This has to be something the everyday person can figure out. I think maybe we are over thinking it.  Don't think tibs would have made it so that only those who work with computer programming could solve it. Tibs to a fair guy and even he said I was close to getting it. Go back and look at some of what I was doing to figure this out and try to remove the complicated stuff.

This isn't as heavy as it seems.

I do agree with you totally... all this will translate into something very simple I'm sure of it  Wink But I've got myself stuck in reverse engineering mode, trying to figure out what his function does, which may come at it the wrong way but is still fun for me Wink But you've got the closest so far so it's all about what you were doing when he said that... and I think you were talking about replacing vowels with consonants.

I was trying to replace vowels with consonants. But I was also taking the first line and reversing it on the second. I also think using a symbol first in the first line is important.

Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
you found the word 'wyth' which isn't even a word and has no vowels but still passes rule 3