Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anzac Day...
Anzac Day...
Once again we have reached Anzac Day.

This is the time of year the people of Australia and New Zealand remember those who have served and those who have died serving our countries.

It is dated for the disastrous Gallipoli campaign that cost so many allied lives in an attempt to knock Turkey out of WW1.

But, personally, I've always thought of it as a day to commemorate all those who have served their countries, whether allies or enemies, conscripts or volunteers.

Being an atheist, I don't pray, but on this day I hold them in my thoughts (and, being at an NZDF installation, the reminders are all around me - especially the poppies next to the snack machine).

So, if you're a veteran, a current serving member of the military, or have an ancestor who did, or a relative who does, please remember to keep them in your thoughts, whether you agree with the policies of your country or not.

Dying to live, living to die.
RE: Anzac Day...
In celebration thereof the WLB has appointed this shithead as ambassador to New Zealand.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/...sador.html

Quote:Trump to nominate Scott Brown as New Zealand ambassador

Good luck.

Put guards on the sheep.
Yeah, I was reading about that clown this morning.
Dying to live, living to die.
(April 20, 2017 at 7:53 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Once again we have reached Anzac Day.

This is the time of year the people of Australia and New Zealand remember those who have served and those who have died serving our countries.

It is dated for the disastrous Gallipoli campaign that cost so many allied lives in an attempt to knock Turkey out of WW1.

But, personally, I've always thought of it as a day to commemorate all those who have served their countries, whether allies or enemies, conscripts or volunteers.

Being an atheist, I don't pray, but on this day I hold them in my thoughts (and, being at an NZDF installation, the reminders are all around me - especially the poppies next to the snack machine).

So, if you're a veteran, a current serving member of the military, or have an ancestor who did, or a relative who does, please remember to keep them in your thoughts, whether you agree with the policies of your country or not.

To each her own, I suppose.  I've always viewed official war commemoration days as a remarkably inappropriate way to remind us of the horror and ultimate futility of war.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson