Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-May 3 to Whenever We're Not Fat Anymore
RE: AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-May 3 to Whenever We're Not Fat Anymore
(July 23, 2017 at 8:59 pm)Shell B Wrote: I wrote this long post congratulating you, but then the forum when down. Your post totally made me smile. Congratulations on your improvement. If you like apps to help you stay fit, try Nike Training Club. I'm fairly sure it's free, and it has more workouts than any other app I've encountered.

Thank you Shell B. It's enough to know that my post made you smile. I actually have some knowledge of working out. I know many strength training movements and know how to construct high intensity/low volume routines. Basically I walk fast for 30 minutes 3 times a week and strength train twice a week.

I guess I don't get bored with that routine. It's essentially what I've been doing for several years. Occasionally I stair step instead of walk.

I'm pretty confident I can eventually reach that 215 lbs goal. That's what I weighed Junior year in High School when I threw the shot put. To be lighter than that would be great but I think I looked pretty decent at that weight even if I was a little chubby.

Speaking of strength training, I remember seeing your yoga thread pictures and thinking "Yikes! I couldn't do that even when I was lighter!" Although I could do a plank for about 50 seconds before i had a slew of health problems that left me a little deconditioned comparatively.

(July 14, 2017 at 11:18 am)Mr.Obvious Wrote:
(July 14, 2017 at 11:14 am)Astonished Wrote: Nope, totally possible. Same thing happened with me. It was seeing that and how effective being stringent about my dieting was that motivated me to keep it up. Of course the heavier you are when you start out, the more you're going to see you've lost, especially at the beginning.

Maybe,
But I genuinly doubt i've gone from 172 pounds to 163 pounds in a matter of 3.5 months and then to 156 pounds in 1 month without added effort. Actually, even with daring to drink a beer once I get home.

You could put something on the scale that you know the weight of as a test.
I'm glad that you're getting solid exercise regularly. I won't st all be surprised if you reach your goal or beyond with the dedication and results you've had so far. I look forward to your member photo!
I'm in a bit of a different situation where I need to put weight back on but also switch more fat and carbs out.

I was diagnosed with diabetes in 1999 after a bout of flu damaged my pancreas. I'd suffered from severe ketonacidosis and needed resuscitation after flat-lining three times and falling in to a coma. I woke up a few days later to find I'd dropped from a fit 210lbs to 140lbs. It was a long recovery and I've never really recovered the weight although I've kept up my general fitness with a variety of exercise. As I topped 40, my metabolism has slowed and I've started developing the classic middle aged spread.

Recently I've been spurred on to get back on top. I'm keeping exercise simple: cycling for cardio, various press ups to fix my shoulders and chest, sit ups, crunches and butterflies for core, squats and burpees for legs and basic weights for tone. Eating however is a bit of a problem. My diabetes means that if I take in enough calories to build mass, I need to inject more synthetic insulin, with all the associated cardio health risks. All my dietician is interested in is reducing carb and insulin intake and not working with me to get back to where I should be. So I'm trying to do it myself, with some success so far. My tone is improving and I had lost a little of my spare tyre. It's a bit of a struggle to avoid takeaways but I'm preparing healthy meals most days and trying to break the cycle of laziness that leads to the wrong kinds of processed and fatty food.

I'm inspired by the efforts that all of you on this thread are putting in, whether to change or maintain your health. I hope I can do half as well.
Sum ergo sum
(July 23, 2017 at 10:39 pm)Industrial Lad Wrote:
(July 23, 2017 at 8:59 pm)Shell B Wrote: I wrote this long post congratulating you, but then the forum when down. Your post totally made me smile. Congratulations on your improvement. If you like apps to help you stay fit, try Nike Training Club. I'm fairly sure it's free, and it has more workouts than any other app I've encountered.

Thank you Shell B. It's enough to know that my post made you smile. I actually have some knowledge of working out. I know many strength training movements and know how to construct high intensity/low volume routines. Basically I walk fast for 30 minutes 3 times a week and strength train twice a week.

I guess I don't get bored with that routine. It's essentially what I've been doing for several years. Occasionally I stair step instead of walk.

I'm pretty confident I can eventually reach that 215 lbs goal. That's what I weighed Junior year in High School when I threw the shot put. To be lighter than that would be great but I think I looked pretty decent at that weight even if I was a little chubby.

Speaking of strength training, I remember seeing your yoga thread pictures and thinking "Yikes! I couldn't do that even when I was lighter!" Although I could do a plank for about 50 seconds before i had a slew of health problems that left me a little deconditioned comparatively.

(July 14, 2017 at 11:18 am)Mr.Obvious Wrote: Maybe,
But I genuinly doubt i've gone from 172 pounds to 163 pounds in a matter of 3.5 months and then to 156 pounds in 1 month without added effort. Actually, even with daring to drink a beer once I get home.

You beautiful smart motherfucker.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
(July 23, 2017 at 10:39 pm)Industrial Lad Wrote: Thank you Shell B. It's enough to know that my post made you smile. I actually have some knowledge of working out. I know many strength training movements and know how to construct high intensity/low volume routines. Basically I walk fast for 30 minutes 3 times a week and strength train twice a week.

You beautiful smart motherfucker.
[/quote]
I'm glad to know that's potentially helpful mr. Obvious. I wish that last part were true though.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
I've got a solid workout routine going right now. That's usually a challenge for me with our lifestyle. Routine does help, though. As for diet, it's up and down. I have a big family and a lot of big family dinners.
It has happened...

Burger King has come to belgium.

Remember me as I was, my friends. Not as the blob thrice my size I shall be when I die of a heart attack in six months.
(July 27, 2017 at 11:25 am)Mr.Obvious Wrote: It has happened...

Remember me as I was, my friends. Not as the blob thrice my size I shall be when I die of a heart attack in six months.

Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to purchase their stuff.
(July 27, 2017 at 11:40 am)pocaracas Wrote:
(July 27, 2017 at 11:25 am)Mr.Obvious Wrote: It has happened...

Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to purchase their stuff.

I know that's technically a sentence. But I don'really understand what you are saying.

It's burger king.
Burger king!
(July 27, 2017 at 11:43 am)Mr.Obvious Wrote:
(July 27, 2017 at 11:40 am)pocaracas Wrote: Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to purchase their stuff.

I know that's technically a sentence. But I don'really understand what you are saying.

It's burger king.
Burger king!

I know what Burger King is... it's kinda like McDonald's, but with different packaging.
Nothing that can beat the burgers I had yesterday, 4 for £4 at Waitrose - cooked by myself at home... and I didn't even grill them!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Love Your Body Challenge Shell B 39 3094 September 24, 2019 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  NFL may be headed to player negotiation. Brian37 9 1001 August 15, 2019 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-April 1 to May 1 Shell B 232 22399 September 25, 2017 at 11:54 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheist Forums' Biggest Loser Shell B 64 5253 March 31, 2017 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Anyone here participate in Sports/Fitness? Lifelongnontheist 24 2523 February 1, 2017 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: yasalam
  Bracket Challenge? SteelCurtain 21 3784 April 5, 2015 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Sad I got fat Something completely different 27 6522 July 9, 2013 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox