Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:47 am

Poll: What do y'all think of my analogy?
This poll is closed.
Great analogy!
40.00%
2 40.00%
Fucking shit analogy!
20.00%
1 20.00%
Meh.
40.00%
2 40.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Case Against Compatabilism
RE: The Case Against Compatabilism
What do you mean by share process?

Do you mean I think out loud?

Yeah totally. And I'm exactly like this in RL too. Ask pocaracas for confirmation Big Grin
(May 18, 2017 at 10:20 pm)Succubus Wrote: Two metaphysical libertarians, a hard incompatabilist and a bowl of petunias walk into a bar, and the barman says; err... I'll get back later.

Sorry but this: "err... I'll get back later.". Was 'me'. I couldn't remember the rest of the joke. Sorry if I caused confusion Tongue
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(May 19, 2017 at 11:41 am)Hammy Wrote:
(May 19, 2017 at 11:35 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Personally, I think the distinction between compatibalism and determinism is largely a distinction without a difference. In neither case, can anyone alter the trajectory of efficient causes and both presuppose physical causal closure.

Compatabilism and determinism are certainly not the same thing....

So there are three separate questions. There is the question "Is free will possible?" there's the question "If free will is possible is it possible in a deterministic universe?" and there's the question "Do you believe in a deterministic universe?".

Yes you've staked out the various positions nicely as far as what people believe. What people believe doesn't mean their positions are coherent. The problem is that they don't agree on the definition of free will. There's no difference between being compelled to choose a certain way and being compelled to act a certain way.
Of course there is. If the 'choice' you 'make' is ultimately forced by someone or something else... then that's different to you not being ultimately forced by someone or something else.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using the arguments against actual infinites against theists Freedom of thought 4 2236 May 14, 2014 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  My case for an Idealistic Monism bennyboy 17 2975 April 1, 2014 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  A case for cannibalism in society liam 83 29294 September 19, 2012 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: liam