Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome to McAfee Web Advisor popups...
Welcome to McAfee Web Advisor popups...
A few days ago, a message saying "Welcome to MacAfee Web Advisor" started popping up everytime I turned on my browser. For the record, I'm running Windows 10 (and upgraded to the Creator's Edition last week) with Mozilla Firefox (version 53.0.3; the current version), and Web Advisor is, in fact, installed (5.0.540.0). However, for whatever reason, it feels the need to show what I call an "orientation screen" every time I start the browser:

[Image: WebAdvisor+Spam+%28New+Tap%29.jpg]

It looks like a lot of other people have this problem, and I'm not getting a lot of information about how to fix it. So, I'm calling you and asking if you guys have any solutions.;

For what it's worth, my browser won't allow me to uninstall Web Advisor.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
RE: Welcome to McAfee Web Advisor popups...
Uninstall the Web Advisor.

You have ABP, get a password manager (LastPass) and a decent AV (I like BitDefender), and you don't need it.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Technically, that image isn't actually a screenshot of my computer and I simply chose it because it looked like what I was going through. That said, I do have ABP, and I also have Malwarebytes. I have disabled Webadvisor for now (it won't allow me to uninstall it), and am currently looking for a comparable Antivirus add-on for Firefox that doesn't spam me with information I already know every time I turn on my browser and slow my computer down in the process.

It probably came with an Adobe Product, if you installed Flash you have to uncheck it as an option while installing.

I would just get an AV that has web protection, no need to have an addon. Those add-ons really bog down with tabbed browsing.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I don't even remember how it got added on. I had it ever since I upgraded my computer to Windows 10 and I suspect that it may have just come when the builders put 10 on it (I was a fairly late adopter, taking to it only after I decided to get a new laptop). I never really had any problems with it until this started happening.

(June 4, 2017 at 5:07 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: It probably came with an Adobe Product, if you installed Flash you have to uncheck it as an option while installing.

I try to never intentionally install either Adobe or McAfee products, tbh, or any other product line known for pushing shovelware.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Web SimpleCaveman 24 818 January 9, 2024 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] Coronavirus plotting on a web map WinterHold 6 1035 May 26, 2021 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  bots and the change of the web. WinterHold 29 2343 June 20, 2020 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  How to make a "span" across the diagonal of a web-page? FlatAssembler 6 953 May 26, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Solar System simulation: my latest web app. WinterHold 8 981 February 7, 2020 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  [Serious] Multiple Sclerosis Map: my latest web project WinterHold 22 2914 October 4, 2019 at 10:02 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Is front-end web development dying? WinterHold 18 1460 September 10, 2018 at 12:28 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  Question for Those of You Wwho Use Mobile Web Devices (iPhones, Smart Phones, etc.) Rhondazvous 26 4268 July 24, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Advice Sought for Web Programming AFTT47 13 3256 April 4, 2015 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  OK Time to do some web developing... Aractus 7 2193 July 4, 2013 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious