Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anime vs. Cartoons
Anime vs. Cartoons
So what's the difference between them? Here I've sorta underlined the basic differences, but I'm not nerdy enough to say that they two aren't the same. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC8qvW-D2Ro

RE: Anime vs. Cartoons
Adult cartoons are still cartoons. I remember watching cartoons when we got our first TV, c. 1955.

BTW, I love Kung Fu Panda, Epic, Brave, Cowboy Beebop, etc., I just don't worship them.
I hate anime. Get it away from me.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(July 21, 2017 at 7:57 am)Aegon Wrote: I hate anime. Get it away from me.

Why? I mean the animation is technically inferior to American cartoons, but the storytelling in some of them is pretty good.
(July 21, 2017 at 8:15 am)Mechaghostman2 Wrote:
(July 21, 2017 at 7:57 am)Aegon Wrote: I hate anime. Get it away from me.

Why? I mean the animation is technically inferior to American cartoons, but the storytelling in some of them is pretty good.

A couple of things:
-The culture around anime makes me cringe
-A lot of anime, including some of the better, higher quality ones, sexualize what are supposed to be underage girls. And a big part of anime culture is obsession with 12 year old cartoons with massive tits.
- The vast majority of anime, not just the major or higher quality ones, have shit storylines. Full of boring stupid filler and, my least favorite thing ever, 30 minutes of exposition in the middle of a fight or battle.
-Did I mention I hate the cringe-worthy culture around it? It's the primary reason.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
If the anime is gay-oriented, I can tolerate it. Otherwise, I find it tedious to watch.

My favorite animations are movie length films; Disney, Pixar, etc.

I have not watched cartoons since I was a teenager; I particularly liked Bonkers, Darkwing Duck, Kim Possible, and The Proud Family.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 21, 2017 at 8:40 am)Aegon Wrote:
(July 21, 2017 at 8:15 am)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: Why? I mean the animation is technically inferior to American cartoons, but the storytelling in some of them is pretty good.

A couple of things:
-The culture around anime makes me cringe
-A lot of anime, including some of the better, higher quality ones, sexualize what are supposed to be underage girls. And a big part of anime culture is obsession with 12 year old cartoons with massive tits.
- The vast majority of anime, not just the major or higher quality ones, have shit storylines. Full of boring stupid filler and, my least favorite thing ever, 30 minutes of exposition in the middle of a fight or battle.
-Did I mention I hate the cringe-worthy culture around it? It's the primary reason.

-Every popular media has its shit fans. Sports, video games, Metal fans, ...Conan O'Brien fans... etc. I just ignore those and enjoy the media without reading the comments.
-Some anime sexualizes minors, some anime. A great deal of them don't. You must have just seen the wrong ones or something.
-I agree the exposition based storytelling can get annoying. It's what turned me off from, say, Attack On Titan. Sometimes the exposition is done well, other times it's not. And really, it's mostly just shounen anime that has the melodrama. Seinen anime doesn't so much. But that stuff won't give you an adrenaline rush as much, either.
A lot of anime, when based on a manga series, is full of filler, so I generally much prefer to read the manga than watch the anime, but if there are some good fights or banter, I tend to enjoy watching those kinds of anime (as long as they aren't excessively lengthy). I can honestly read an entire volume of a manga (8 or 9 chapters, maybe 10 if there's not a lot of dialogue) in the time it takes to watch a half-hour episode of that same series' anime, so that makes watching them a little less appealing in most cases.

Western cartoons tend to be more humorous and satirical and often rely on shock value, while anime is generally a somewhat more serious (even if of the comedic genre) storytelling medium. But yes, there is a lot of sexual portrayal of women of all ages, it's just a cultural thing that permeates their art in a way we may be too prudish to comprehend (or maybe they're just excessively perverted...I'm of the mind that the jury's still out on either) and if that bothers you, there is plenty to choose from that doesn't veer into that territory (at least with the younger ones), so there's no reason to paint the entire art form with the same brush, as it were. And it's not like American cinema doesn't do that same sort of thing when it feels it's convenient (Star Trek Into Darkness was a great, disappointing example of that).

I'm fine with Western cartoons (since they rarely have graphic novels that can be read, or if they do, they're rarely of the same quality) and Japanese manga with the occasional anime, they both have a great deal to offer and, even if the experience turns out to be unpleasant, I'll have learned something and further refined my tastes.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
On the whole, I think I've gotten more viewing pleasure out of cartoons than anime.
But I like both. And both have shit shows. Actually, if you get down to it, in both; there is more crap than good stuf. But the same goes for any medium from books to YouTube clips to tv-shows and music. For every 'Sakamoto desu ga?', 'deathnote' & 'One Punch man' on the one hand and futurama, south park & Darkwing Duck on the other, you have dozens and dozens of inferior shows.
In any case, I applaud the mixing of these two styles we see more often nowadays. Avatar the Last Airbender, and the legend of Korra, are two of my favorite shows of the past decade-and-a-half. And I'd label them either both cartoon and anime, or at least a hybrid of the two.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
(July 24, 2017 at 4:30 am)Mr.Obvious Wrote: On the whole, I think I've gotten more viewing pleasure out of cartoons than anime.
But I like both. And both have shit shows. Actually, if you get down to it, in both; there is more crap than good stuf.  But the same goes for any medium from books to YouTube clips to tv-shows and music. For every 'Sakamoto desu ga?', 'deathnote' & 'One Punch man' on the one hand and futurama, south park & Darkwing Duck on the other, you have dozens and dozens of inferior shows.
In any case, I applaud the mixing of these two styles we see more often nowadays. Avatar the Last Airbender, and the legend of Korra, are two of my favorite shows of the past decade-and-a-half. And I'd label them either both cartoon and anime, or at least a hybrid of the two.

Avatar is Americanime, lol. It's a cartoon with anime influence. Same with the Boondocks, and a Netflix original Castlevania.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Anime Artistic? Caustic 60 3084 February 21, 2018 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Anime Club Sterben 84 9462 February 15, 2017 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Jesster
  Anime I've Watched Mechaghostman2 1 1099 February 15, 2016 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: NaughtyButNice
Rainbow Anime anyone? FlyingSpaghettiMonster 8 1560 February 12, 2015 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Strider