Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the fear of irrational fears rational?
RE: Is the fear of irrational fears rational?
Which actually came as quite a surprise to me because our resident atheists actually seem much more knowledgeable in Bible than the Bible huggers lol
(August 8, 2017 at 9:36 am)Aegon Wrote:
(August 8, 2017 at 8:20 am)Dropship Wrote: God invites us ALL to that great party in the sky like Jesus said-
"The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding banquet for his son...he told his servants- go out and invite to the banquet anyone you find" (Matt 22:2)

What's to "fear" about that? People don't have to come if they don't want to..Smile
And Jesus said he'll be drinking wine with his mates in heaven.
That's me out then, I don't drink (sniffle)

If we play the game of Bible quotes when it comes to this,  I think you'll lose.

I accept the challenge mate, let's see what you've got! Many before you have tried to send me down..Wink
Right Rock?-
"C'mon, it's true, but that don't bother me, I just wanna prove somethin', I ain't no bum, it don't matter if I lose, don't matter if Dropship opens my head. The only thing I wanna do is go the distance, that's all.
Nobody's ever gone fifteen rounds with Dropship. If I go them fifteen rounds, an' that bell rings an' I'm still standin', I'm gonna know then I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood"...
[Image: rocky1.png]
Ooooh, a fairy-tale pissing contest. I want to participate, but I can only quote Cinderella. Can I join too?
(August 8, 2017 at 2:44 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Ooooh, a fairy-tale pissing contest.  I want to participate, but I can only quote Cinderella.  Can I join too?

Go ahead mate, you can even quote Alice of you like..Smile-
"It would be sooo nice if something made sense for a change"- Alice in Wonderland
(August 6, 2017 at 12:49 am)pool the matey Wrote: The definition of fear is:
an unpleasant emotion caused by the threat of danger, pain, or harm.

Fear becomes irrational when their is no actual but perceived danger, pain or harm.

So is the fear of irrational fear a rational or irrational fear?

From what you said here yes.... unless you would like to make the case that the fear is unharmful.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
The brain itself doesn't understand the difference between a real situation and a simulated one. Reading an adventure book where the protagonist is in mortal peril constantly is, to the brain, the same as if the person the brain belongs to were the one in those situations. So in a sense, understanding this and the idea that even imaginary situations can put the brain through various stresses is something that could be a cause for concern. If you're someone who has more of a penchant for very intense action or horror than for, say, irreverent or lighthearted comedies, you're undergoing a greater stress reaction psychologically. If you've got things like stress or anxiety disorders you're probably exacerbating them without even realizing it. So depending on the kind of person you are and the risk factors you're under, it may or may not be rational to fear these things.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
I would say the fear of irrational fears is definitely irrational. While irrational fears are uh...irrational, in and of themselves they can't really hurt you. We should try not to have irrational fears, we should talk ourselves out of them when we do have them, but we shouldn't fear them.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If people were 100% rational, would the world be better? vulcanlogician 188 21957 August 30, 2021 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  An easy proof that rational numbers are countable. Jehanne 7 1994 February 22, 2018 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  People ignore what they fear Der/die AtheistIn 13 1835 December 11, 2017 at 8:43 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Are stigmas and and prejudices, inherently based on fear, ignorance and hatred? WisdomOfTheTrees 26 4936 February 8, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Is there a logical, rational reason why hate is bad? WisdomOfTheTrees 27 3538 February 4, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  In regard to the rational person's choice Mohammed1212 23 5958 April 27, 2015 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: noctalla
  Idealism is more Rational than Materialism Rational AKD 158 44394 February 12, 2015 at 4:51 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Is sanity rational? bennyboy 32 6555 October 5, 2014 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  rational naturalism is impossible! Rational AKD 112 35588 November 1, 2013 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: TheBeardedDude
  Government is Irrational. Koolay 196 36882 July 10, 2013 at 8:51 am
Last Post: genkaus