Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The GOP's turd of a tax bill
The GOP's turd of a tax bill
As expected, it's a big giveaway to the rich and will screw some people who aren't exactly rich.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/02/news/eco...index.html

Highlights of where the screw hits individuals:

Do you itemize and live in a state with high state, local, or property taxes? The two former are going away, the latter is capped.

Have no fear though, the standard deduction is "doubling", but wait, they're scrapping the personal exemption and that "doubling" will be offset by an increase in taxable income by $4050 for yourself, your spouse, and each of your children. Have more than one child? That wipes out any effect the increase standard deduction provides - some of which *may* be offset by an increase in the Child Tax Credit, that is, unless your income is low enough that the EITC wipes out your ability to actually claim the new (non-refundable) portion of the CTC. To add insult to injury, lower income families currently in the 10% bracket will now be in a 12% bracket - and combined with the loss of the personal exemption...well, do the math.

Yep, the brackets are moving - of particular interest is the 39.6% bracket. In 2017, the 39.6% bracket starts at $418K-444K depending on filing status, in the GOP bill the bracket moves to $500K-1M. A married couple with $1M in taxable income would have $556K less income taxed at 39.6% - which translates to a tax cut of more than $25K compared to the 2017 tax year. If that's not a tax cut for the wealthy, I don't know what is.

Don't even get me started on the corporate giveaways.

I did the numbers for my own tax situation, and assuming nothing else changes, accounting for the change in tax brackets, loss of deductions and personal exemptions, my tax bill actually goes up by a considerable amount. I would have almost exactly the same amount of income taxed at my highest marginal bracket (25%), and the tax on what is below that bracket increases by over $1200 due to the loss of deductions/exemptions. I am hardly rich.

Thanks, Obama!

Write or call your congressperson, people.
RE: The GOP's turd of a tax bill
The GOP hasn't had anything good for decades. Crumbs everyso often, but in the end it is just a corporate vacuum sucking the money up to the top.
The congresspeople ARE the problem.... at least the republicunt ones.

As they complained some time back...

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/35399...e-failures

Quote:"The GOP leaders should know, no movement on remaining agenda: tax reform, infrastructure, deregulation, etc. means no funding from supporters like me,” one angry donor said to a longtime Republican fundraiser in an email forwarded to Politico. “No meetings, calls, contributions until we see progress.”

You can't blame these rich motherfuckers.  Fuck democracy.  They bought these republicunt sacks of shit and now they want some payback on their investment.  This country is not salvageable until we get the money out of politics.  We are now a plutokleptocracy - rule by rich thieves.
(November 2, 2017 at 4:24 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The congresspeople ARE the problem.... at least the republicunt ones.

As they complained some time back...

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/35399...e-failures

Quote:"The GOP leaders should know, no movement on remaining agenda: tax reform, infrastructure, deregulation, etc. means no funding from supporters like me,” one angry donor said to a longtime Republican fundraiser in an email forwarded to Politico. “No meetings, calls, contributions until we see progress.”

You can't blame these rich motherfuckers.  Fuck democracy.  They bought these republicunt sacks of shit and now they want some payback on their investment.  This country is not salvageable until we get the money out of politics.  We are now a plutokleptocracy - rule by rich thieves.

No Minn, not "fuck democracy".

Fuck mob rule, fuck no regulations, fuck "let the rich do whatever they want."

Rule will always arise out of the ashes of prior power. Voting isn't the problem, it is greed and the lack of enforcing anti trust anti monopoly laws. 

China has elections too. Voting isn't the problem, but lack of regulations that have allowed the top to control the narrative for too long, I agree. But even Gadaffi and Fedel Castro manipulated the markets to get rich themselves.

I want voting. I'd only agree that money currently has far to much power in law making. But you will never get rid of the private sector. There is not one country friend or foe that does not invest in the global market.

Voting isn't the problem. It is getting the masses to stop ignoring manipulation.
And now a standard right wing retorts when it comes to anything to do with taxes .

"If we don't give the rich everything they want they will extort our economy "

" I live under the delusion i'm John Galt . And don't need the government "

"But i give to charity and thus drain the system via taxes breaks . And give to organizations with an agenda "

"Taxes are theft!" 

"Guys with guns come after me  "

"privatize everything!"

"Here's my simplistic and ultimately flawed non government solution to X"

"The poor are poor because they are lazy "

"Certain cultures are inferior in success "   

"My great great grandfather ....."

Etc .....
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Paul Ryan just said "the American people deserve this tax cut."  And he's right.  After putting these crooked motherfuckers in power the American people deserve to get it right up the ass.
Israel needs more money.
(November 2, 2017 at 5:05 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Paul Ryan just said "the American people deserve this tax cut."  And he's right.  After putting these crooked motherfuckers in power the American people deserve to get it right up the ass.

Hey, hey, hey! Angry  The Electoral College should have done what it was designed to do. Though to be completely honest, I don't think that Hilary would have been that great of an improvement, beyond better SCOTUS picks, and not rolling back all the civil rights advances of the last 50 years, and...uh, nvm.  Tongue

AND, my taxes are going to more than double. Undecided
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The loss of deductions for state and local will screw me at 25% even though I'm dropping down a bracket in the consolidation.  I know the intent was to punish "liberal" states....but I live in rural kentucky.........as a member of the vanishing middle class....so it seems like they missed the target.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
well . . .

and I'll admit I'm full of narcotic pain relievers and have some lingering effects from the anesthesia during my procedure today, so maybe I'm not absorbing the full nuance of the tax plan, but with over half of the country not paying income tax, cutting income tax rates, no matter how it's done, is going to leave the majority of people with, technically speaking, absolutely nothing to fucking look forward to if the plan is passed.

So some of the complaints I'm seeing on TV news about this have to be feigned outrage.

Right ?

or is that just the propofol talking ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Absurd GOP Foxaèr 2040 113994 March 22, 2024 at 11:55 am
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  2024 GOP hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy proposes raising voting age to 25 LinuxGal 11 917 August 20, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Bill Clinton and Ukraine Interaktive 4 342 August 5, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Yet Another GOP Dumpster Fire Of A Human Being BrianSoddingBoru4 139 9711 July 23, 2022 at 4:20 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  So what is GOP's plan for the new wave of newborns? Fake Messiah 43 2659 June 30, 2022 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  TX social media censorship bill Fake Messiah 24 2081 September 14, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1318 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Crypto bill paulpablo 31 2594 August 19, 2021 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Biden had to walk back a tax increase jasonelijah 6 812 March 31, 2021 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Does rasising the corporate tax rate help or hurt? jasonelijah 16 725 March 30, 2021 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: brewer