Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a former atheist
RE: Ask a former atheist
(November 15, 2017 at 11:05 am)pool the matey Wrote: You're just trolling at this point. How many times do I have to tell you I was talking specifically about people I know personally irl (like my friends). Atheists in this site are some of the most awesome people ever, I learned about 95% of things I know regarding atheism(how to debate, logical fallacies etc) from here. If you seriously think I wouldn't just say "you guys are just lame" if it were true you don't know me very well, I don't say that because it's not true. If you're still not convinced...keep being unconvinced don't expect me to explain this again.

(November 15, 2017 at 9:46 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: You had an hallucination and talked yourself into believing it "meant something." Sad.

No GS, if it was a hallucination it would be different. What happened was real. If it happened to you you'd do the same thing.

Nope, Then again my personal revelation as given me insight into the truth and I hate to tell ya, you're on the wrong path.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

Did you become a theist because you were angry at reality? Smile
(November 15, 2017 at 11:05 am)pool the matey Wrote:
(November 15, 2017 at 9:46 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: You had an hallucination and talked yourself into believing it "meant something." Sad.

No GS, if it was a hallucination it would be different. What happened was real. If it happened to you you'd do the same thing.
I call bullshit.
(November 15, 2017 at 11:23 am)Mathilda Wrote: Did you become a theist because you were angry at reality? Smile

No lol

(November 15, 2017 at 11:35 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

I call bullshit.

Okay 🙄
(November 15, 2017 at 11:35 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

I call bullshit.

Why? Do you have access to his own experiences? I don't think so. If he says that he experienced something so remarkable that it feels like he was in touch with something he identifies as God, then I believe him.

Of course, I disagree with pool that I would do the same thing if it happened to me. I have no problem with sheer coincidences happening.
I don't believe -randos- who say they had a run-in with a god..I'm certainly not going to believe Pool.  Unfortunately, that's just the wage of sin.  A pattern of disingenuous statements and behaviors erode credibility. Before long, we'll hear that this divine encounter was his favorite candy bar dropping from the machine unbidden, and that this was akin to a miracle....and finally, that it was all just a thought experiment.

You're getting trolled, Grand, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
pool the matey Wrote:No GS, if it was a hallucination it would be different. What happened was real. If it happened to you you'd do the same thing.

I can't speak for GS, but I can imagine having a hallucination so compelling that if it happened to me, I'd do the same thing. In my present state of mind, I'd remember that I'm in no way qualified to evaluate whether something I'm experiencing is due to direct intervention by an omnipotent and omniscient universe creator; but I can imagine my mental state being altered to the point that I might believe that's reasonable. There are certain psychedelics with a reputation for delivering life-altering revelations, and it seems apparent that 'being compelling' is a property of some hallucinatory experiences.

That doesn't mean your experience wasn't real, of course; but it does mean you don't have any way of really knowing it was real. If you got super powers or a winning Power Ball ticket (so you could give the money to the church, of course) that would be something to show for your experience that wouldn't be so easy to explain, especially the super powers.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(November 15, 2017 at 5:56 pm)Khemikal Wrote: I don't believe -randos- who say they had a run-in with a god..I'm certainly not going to believe Pool.  Unfortunately, that's just the wage of sin.  A pattern of disingenuous statements and behaviors erode credibility.  Before long, we'll hear that this divine encounter was his favorite candy bar dropping from the machine unbidden, and that this was akin to a miracle....and finally, that it was all just a thought experiment.

You're getting trolled, Grand, lol.

No skin off my nose. I'll worry about trolling when things go downhill in my life. These days have been some of the best days of my life.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ask a Former Jehovah's Witness Athena 11 2590 June 23, 2019 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Athena
  Ask a former IV heroin addict AceBoogie 59 9986 April 11, 2017 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Ask a lifelong (irreligious) atheist robvalue 29 3205 July 30, 2016 at 3:07 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Ask an atheist Excited Penguin 23 4779 December 21, 2015 at 2:18 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Ask a former Christian T.J. 28 6104 August 21, 2015 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Ask a Traditional Atheist with a short attention span The Valkyrie 12 4486 July 24, 2015 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: InsomniacMike486
  Ask a black atheist FriendlyNeighborhoodAtheist 38 5408 July 1, 2015 at 11:59 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Ask a Former Brothel Bartender Crossless2.0 25 3542 May 21, 2015 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0