Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Street Epistemology - Practice
Street Epistemology - Practice
Hello

I'm going to start doing some street epistemology soon but wanted to get some practice in first, does anyone want to participate?

I need someone with a belief (something superstitious would be perfect) and I will ask some Socratic questions to uncover how they have come to their belief.

Post a reply to this thread if you want.

Ta.
RE: Street Epistemology - Practice
(November 20, 2017 at 11:16 pm)curiosne Wrote: Hello

I'm going to start doing some street epistemology soon but wanted to get some practice in first, does anyone want to participate?

I need someone with a belief (something superstitious would be perfect) and I will ask some Socratic questions to uncover how they have come to their belief.

Ta.

I’m curious about epistemology...  what would you like to know.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(November 20, 2017 at 11:24 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(November 20, 2017 at 11:16 pm)curiosne Wrote: Hello

Ta.

I’m curious about epistemology...  what would you like to know.

I need someone with a belief (eg they believe in astrology or they believe that ghost exist) and to explain their belief to me. I'd like to practice asking thought provoking questions to see whether their beliefs are rational or not.
(November 20, 2017 at 11:28 pm)curiosne Wrote:
(November 20, 2017 at 11:24 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I’m curious about epistemology...  what would you like to know.

I need someone with a belief (eg they believe in astrology or they believe that ghost exist) and to explain their belief to me. I'd like to practice asking thought provoking questions to see whether their beliefs are rational or not.

I believe in God, and the Gospel of Christ....does that count?
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(November 20, 2017 at 11:34 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(November 20, 2017 at 11:28 pm)curiosne Wrote: I need someone with a belief (eg they believe in astrology or they believe that ghost exist) and to explain their belief to me. I'd like to practice asking thought provoking questions to see whether their beliefs are rational or not.

That counts...it's a big one....lol!

So why do you believe in the Judaeo Christian God?
(November 20, 2017 at 11:34 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(November 20, 2017 at 11:28 pm)curiosne Wrote: I need someone with a belief (eg they believe in astrology or they believe that ghost exist) and to explain their belief to me. I'd like to practice asking thought provoking questions to see whether their beliefs are rational or not.

Yup, not rational. /thread
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(November 20, 2017 at 11:34 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I believe in God, and the Gospel of Christ....does that count?

What is this gospel of Christ of which you speak, and where may I find it?
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(November 20, 2017 at 11:45 pm)curiosne Wrote:
(November 20, 2017 at 11:34 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I believe in God, and the Gospel of Christ....does that count?

That counts...it's a big one....lol!

There are a number of reasons.  From the more generic philosophical arguments such as cosmological, ontological, and moral arguments. To scientific arguements a such as strong anthromorphic principle, and intelligent design arguments such as those that persuaded Anthony Flew to quit describing himself as an atheist. There isn’t anecdotal evidence, that of miracles, found all around the world.  Testimony of personal experiences, as well a must my own experiences.  However I would say that first and foremost,I heard and believed the Gospels.  I think it is the best exlpanation for the multiple disciples and apostles who testified to what happened.  

NEed to reboot having trouble typing.... so I’ll leave it there for now, for you to get started with.
(November 21, 2017 at 12:04 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(November 20, 2017 at 11:45 pm)curiosne Wrote: That counts...it's a big one....lol!

There are a number of reasons.  From the more generic philosophical arguments such as cosmological, ontological, and moral arguments. To scientific arguements a such as strong anthromorphic principle, and intelligent design arguments such as those that persuaded Anthony Flew to quit describing himself as an atheist. There isn’t anecdotal evidence, that of miracles, found all around the world.  Testimony of personal experiences, as well a must my own experiences.  However I would say that first and foremost,I heard and believed the Gospels.  I think it is the best exlpanation for the multiple disciples and apostles who testified to what happened.  

NEed to reboot having trouble typing.... so I’ll leave it there for now, for you to get started with.

First I need to ask if you care about the truth or not...ie do you care your belief is real?

If you don't care whether your beliefs are real, then practicing  epistemology on you will be a moot point.
Firstly I need to ask whether you care that what you believe in is true.

If you don't care, then practicing epistemology on you will be ineffective.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  street epistemology drfuzzy 138 22435 December 26, 2015 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Delicate
  Crazy atheists freaking out at street preachers ksona 13 3060 May 27, 2014 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Street Epistemology / Dr Peter Boghossian / A Manual For Creating Atheists mralstoner 0 1657 July 1, 2013 at 2:49 am
Last Post: mralstoner
  Religion New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims? MilesTailsPrower 4 3045 June 23, 2011 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Anymouse