Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 1:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay couples denied full marriage benefits in Texas
RE: Gay couples denied full marriage benefits in Texas
(December 5, 2017 at 12:15 pm)dyresand Wrote:
(December 5, 2017 at 9:24 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: Well I shouldn't say this is totally unexpected but with a precedent set like this by SCOTUS... well let's just say the second dark age doesn't seem too far off.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/12/same-se...s-in-texas

This is how i feel on the subject marriage it's not even religious there is nothing magical about it and sure is hell not christian.
You and anyone even me can challenge marriage now vs biblical. Biblical marriage isn't one man one woman you could be married to a lot of people vs one person. 
That and hell historically speaking Classical Europe, China and the middle east of all places had same-sex marriages and unions. That and it wasnt until the middle ages
that the church put it's foot down to say marriage only between one man and one woman for obvious reasons of procreation. We're taking a page from the god damn middle ages and taking a step back. This won't fair well at all for them in 2018  Dodgy

I don't care much for 2018, but the repercussions of these are gonna last for decades
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(December 5, 2017 at 12:22 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Cake bigot's case being heard right now. FUCK that asshole. We already had separate bathrooms and back of the bus bullshit. If that asshole doesn't want to bake a cake for a gay couple, FUCK HIM.

It's hard to know if cases like the cake case are real or just a clever way to deny people equal rights.  I'm always skeptical when I see such issues end up in court.
(December 5, 2017 at 3:40 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote:
(December 5, 2017 at 12:15 pm)dyresand Wrote: This is how i feel on the subject marriage it's not even religious there is nothing magical about it and sure is hell not christian.
You and anyone even me can challenge marriage now vs biblical. Biblical marriage isn't one man one woman you could be married to a lot of people vs one person. 
That and hell historically speaking Classical Europe, China and the middle east of all places had same-sex marriages and unions. That and it wasnt until the middle ages
that the church put it's foot down to say marriage only between one man and one woman for obvious reasons of procreation. We're taking a page from the god damn middle ages and taking a step back. This won't fair well at all for them in 2018  Dodgy

I don't care much for 2018, but the repercussions of these are gonna last for decades

I honestly don't either. Marriage is now equal under federal law texas has to fuck off and get with the program.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Not with Gorsuch on the SCOTUS. You're really depending on the good sense and taste of Clarence Thomas to reign in the conservative side.

The same conservative side that has been champing at the bit to put homosexuals back onto the second class citizen list.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(December 5, 2017 at 10:43 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Y'all should read the court document. To me it looks like the court said the issues were not completely addressed in the lower courts and more litigation is needed. The articles statements do not accurately reflect the court ruling. 

http://projects.statesman.com/documents/...age-Ruling

Um....

Quote:“The Supreme Court held … that the Constitution requires states to license and recognize same-sex marriages to the same extent that they license and recognize opposite-sex marriages, but it did not hold that states must provide the same publicly funded benefits to all married persons,” Texas Justice Jeff Boyd wrote.

Where did Justice Boyd go to law school?  Dachau?  It would take an asswipe Texan to come up with something like that.
And too think Australia just got through giving same sex couples this right . While America flees back to the dark ages . I'm sure some Trump cheerleaders will blather on about how this is not bigotry . But it is and there is no argument they have that it isn't .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Hey you know how it is in Texas: being fat is caused by genetics, but being gay is a choice.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
What do you know, a guy that was denied a marriage license in Kentucky by Kim Davis for her religious views is now running for her clerk's seat

[Image: GDMYjxV8_o.jpg]
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-r...gainst-her

I think it's great that people are standing up to christian bullying, like gays instead of running away to let's say San Francisco.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Yes, that Christian Bitch had to watch as he signed up to run against her in the next election.

[Image: QqYGJ96m_o.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will leaving the state work in Texas brewer 19 900 July 13, 2021 at 6:16 am
Last Post: brewer
  NRA files chpter11 in NY in order to flee to Texas. Brian37 14 1119 January 16, 2021 at 5:42 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Trump Train runs Biden Bus out of Texas! WinterHold 18 1279 November 2, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Texas, NOW this is encouraging. Brian37 3 231 November 1, 2020 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Full House of bribery. Brian37 0 266 March 13, 2019 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Brian37
  And in Texas no less..... Brian37 7 925 November 11, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Three Separate Package Explosions Reported In Texas A Theist 189 14260 March 26, 2018 at 7:56 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Oh, Surprise, Surprise. The WLB Is Full Of Shit Minimalist 2 837 February 13, 2018 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Texas judge interrupts jury, says God told him defendant is not guilty Tiberius 17 2854 January 21, 2018 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Teen golfer placed 1st in golf tournament, denied the trophy because she's a girl Divinity 14 1665 October 27, 2017 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist