Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nihilism
RE: Nihilism
I own that book in paperback.
(January 13, 2018 at 6:41 am)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(January 13, 2018 at 6:26 am)Grandizer Wrote: Seriously, though, forget doppelgangers, and assume Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics (where things happen randomly), doesn't it mean that the future is at least partly random instead of determined fully by antecedents?

That's why contemporary metaphysics hardly considers hard determinism any longer. The replacement position is hard incompatibilism.

The incompatibilist position is: regardless of whether the universe is determined, there is no free will because all choices are caused by antecedent states and events. This allows for some indeterminism due to wave functions, but rejects the notion that randomness somehow brings free will into play. If there are non-determined events causing your actions, you are just as unfree as if determined events were.

Looking back through the thread, this is basically my position, so I guess that makes me a hard incompatibilist rather than a hard determinist with quantum reservations Wink

But ultimately I accept that there could be so much more to this quantum world than what this simplistic hard incompatibilist view implies... for instance if there are/were quantum effects that defied time, if quantum computing as it were plays a large part in the brain's processing... which some theories suggest it does, or ultimately if there is more chaos in the world than we think, such that the brain only scratches the surface of reality... in the sense of extracting order out of chaos... rather than treating the quantum world as something that we can essentially ignore at the macro level. So with all that in mind, best call me a hard incompatibilist with extra quantum reservations Wink
I'm a hard incompatabilist too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10306 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Dealing with existential nihilism Angst King 113 17894 April 2, 2017 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Sound and Nihilism henryp 26 5636 May 2, 2015 at 2:19 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Does Atheism Lead to Nihilism? SteveII 196 24241 March 16, 2015 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: Pizza
  Is nihilism the logical extreme of atheism? Whateverist 301 46304 October 23, 2014 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest
  Nihilism Napoléon 45 13718 May 23, 2011 at 8:11 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Nihilism Light of Truth 24 7238 December 20, 2010 at 5:14 am
Last Post: lrh9
  How many forms of Nihilism do you subscribe to? Edwardo Piet 26 9128 May 18, 2010 at 2:27 am
Last Post: Violet