Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76.
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76.
Very sad news, but amazing considering his diagnosis and everything he achieved.

We lived in the same time as one of the all time scientific greats. Pretty awesome.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Sad news.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Well, damn.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Of course, on another forum, theists are making ridiculous comments like, "He's with God now" and "He's probably slapping his forehead at a realization somewhere--for the first time".
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
A remarkable life.

R.I.P.
(March 14, 2018 at 12:24 am)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(March 14, 2018 at 12:02 am)The Valkyrie Wrote: Massive loss to the scientific community.

Perhaps.

But I've also heard It said, include by notable Nobel prize winning physicists, that Hawking's actual contribution to advancing the state of physics nowhere near justify his outsized fame as physicist amongst general public, and he would be remembered more as a personality than as a physicist.

Early on his career he was a great physicist, later in his career he was a great physics popularizer. After making great contributions, he made physics accessible to non-physysicists and that was at least as important as his personal contributions to the field. Science is too important to let a failure to communicate it to the masses leaving it mis-understood. This is what will be missed most with his passing. While others will take up the mantle, Tyson comes to mind, none currently have his unique combination of insight and communication skills.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Good bye wheels.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 14, 2018 at 8:59 am)Lutrinae Wrote: Of course, on another forum, theists are making ridiculous comments like, "He's with God now" and "He's probably slapping his forehead at a realization somewhere--for the first time".

How fucking stupid, and I am sure many of these same theists are on other websites threatening atheists with hell if they die not believing. 

Hawking is only in our memories now, he isn't in an afterlife just like he didn't exist 4 billion years ago.
(March 14, 2018 at 10:14 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(March 14, 2018 at 8:59 am)Lutrinae Wrote: Of course, on another forum, theists are making ridiculous comments like, "He's with God now" and "He's probably slapping his forehead at a realization somewhere--for the first time".

How fucking stupid, and I am sure many of these same theists are on other websites threatening atheists with hell if they die not believing. 

Hawking is only in our memories now, he isn't in an afterlife just like he didn't exist 4 billion years ago.

How do you know that?
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(March 14, 2018 at 10:15 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(March 14, 2018 at 10:14 am)Brian37 Wrote: How fucking stupid, and I am sure many of these same theists are on other websites threatening atheists with hell if they die not believing. 

How do you know that?

Why would he believe otherwise?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Last French Survivor of D-Day Leon Gautier dies at the age of 100 (Monday July 3rd) Leonardo17 0 352 July 8, 2023 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Carter Cool AGE..... Brian37 5 429 October 7, 2020 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Sal
  This has to be the most chilling thing he has done. Brian37 29 1642 September 8, 2020 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Old age stories in the news..... Brian37 10 1049 December 29, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stephen Colbert Rips Jeff Sessions a New Asshole Minimalist 78 6972 June 18, 2018 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Walmart raises minimum age requirement for buying Guns and Ammo Sterben 15 1702 March 2, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Stephen Fry reveals prostate cancer diagnosis Antares 7 743 February 23, 2018 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Stephen Colbert - The WLB Sings The Anthem Minimalist 3 503 January 10, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Charles Jenkins has died Sterben 0 434 December 13, 2017 at 10:26 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  This Douchebag Should Have Died. Minimalist 0 459 October 4, 2017 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist