Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From Orthodox Christian to pure freedom!
From Orthodox Christian to pure freedom!
Well hello guys.

I live in Skopje, Macedonia. Here by tradition most of the people are orthodox christians. My parents are all doctors, with the highest degree, so they are familiar with science. As i was being raised, i was told that there is a God, but that's the only thing my parents really said to me. We had and have two bibles. I have never read the bible, but at one point of my life i was truly believing that God, heaven, Satan and hell existed. Of course, i was Christian so i respected God, and not the Satan. This was because my parents send me to a christian camp, three years in a row (they last a week). Or four, i think. Doesn't matter really. It matters that i was believing fully in God. I didn't knew about Atheism at all. I just knew that there was christians and muslims. So, as i grew up, and start reading philosophy and start making my own philosophy of course, i started having my own views of everything. My journey to atheism started with the change of my views. My country was an ex-communist one, so we are learning this stuff in our history classes. So, one day i was learning about Yugoslavia, the Soviet Union, Karl Marx, Lenin, and the next day i was starting to read them (Karl Marx, Vladmir Lenin, Hegel). So communism says there must be no religion involved in it. I was really confused and scared, because i believed in god. I was meeting the word atheism and atheist as i was reading the stuff, and researching the internet. So about two or three weeks later i met a friend my age (15), that was an atheist. She explained to me, what and why was she not believing in god. My mind after seeing and reading some things just rejected god, but i was still calling myself a christian. After the whole atheism-in-my-self thing, i was send to a christian camp for a week. I was surrounded by people with believe. As the people in the camp started speaking about God, i was just rejecting that and thinking it was brain-washing, and nothing else...

So now, I declare myself an atheist.
A pure f**king freedom in my mind.
RE: From Orthodox Christian to pure freedom!
Welcome to the forums!

I don't know what upsets me more; that it took 1,457 registrations before someone used the username "Atheist", or that someone registered the username "God" first...
Welcome
(November 28, 2010 at 9:40 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Welcome to the forums!

I don't know what upsets me more; that it took 1,457 registrations before someone used the username "Atheist", or that someone registered the username "God" first...

Yes, it is kinda strange Smile
Thanks btw.
Hello there, young fellow.