Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The rapture is finally here again!
RE: The rapture is finally here again!
(December 2, 2010 at 4:30 pm)Chapabel Wrote: We are His masterpiece. ........

Not you. And don't argue:

(December 2, 2010 at 4:30 pm)Chapabel Wrote: God dealt with different people in different ways in different times throughout the Bible. [/i]

(December 2, 2010 at 4:30 pm)Chapabel Wrote: Good question. Man was God's final creation. We are His masterpiece.

We're his masterpiece? I've seen people who were born with misshapen limbs. I've seen people who were born missing their eyes. I've seen conjoined twins who were fused together at the top of the head! If we are his "masterpiece", this deity needs a new paintbrush.

Quote:Chapter 2 of Genesis gives the details of that final day of creation. Many theologians believe God created more animals for Adam to name, in order to show Adam 1) God was all powerful. 2) God was giving man a free will. (ie in naming the animals)

The Bible does not say these were additional animals. Sounds like you're reaching for something that isn't there. Also, did Adam name the dinosaurs?

Quote:No, I do not own slaves nor have I ever...I don't need any...I have two kids. The Bible does not command anyone to own slaves.

No, the Bible doesn't command you to own slaves, it just tells it's permissable. Like that's somehow better?

Quote:Jews became slaves to other Jews when they could not repay a debt. They worked it off. When the debt was paid, they were free to leave. They had the option of remaining a slave if they chose to though.

Yeah, I've had many believers use this excuse when trying to reconcile the fact that their holy book permits slavery.

Here is the verse I'm talking about -

Leviticus 25:
44. As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are round about you.
45. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their families that are with you, who have been born in your land; and they may be your property.
46. You may bequeath them to your sons after you, to inherit as a possession for ever; you may make slaves of them, but over your brethren the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another, with harshness.

This says nothing about selling yourself into slavery, paying off a debt, or being free to leave. This is permanent slavery. It even says you can buy children! Pedophiles must have loved it back then!

Your response doesn't hold water. Care to try again?
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
Quote:No, I do not own slaves nor have I ever...I don't need any...I have two kids.

You consider your kids your slaves???

Really?

That's a very poor attitude towards parenting.

=(: |
(December 2, 2010 at 6:10 pm)technophobe Wrote:
Quote:No, I do not own slaves nor have I ever...I don't need any...I have two kids.

You consider your kids your slaves???

Really?

That's a very poor attitude towards parenting.

=(: |

It was a joke for crying out loud! Do you take everything serious?
Chapabel, are you seriously trying to justify your evil god by using dispensationalism? I know how in the O.T. he is said to have established that covenant under the law but with Christ came a new covenant under grace. Either way it still does not change the fact that your god is a bufoon, a racist, murderer, and a megalomaniac. In fact the god of the O.T. and the N.T. don't even seem to be the same deity.

Regarding Bart Erhman, I actually knew him I used to work for his publisher Oxford Press. He states what made him an unbeliever it was actually reading the bible and studying it. That is actually what made me become an atheist too. I honestly don't see how you cannot see the obvious contradiction in the creation story. That my friend is a demonstration of faith or as I like to call it voluntary ignorance.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Quote:Do any of these morons even bother to read the bible? Or is this one of those cherries that they choose not to pick? Attention Christians!! 1. Jesus did not exist, he was a mythical character. 2. If he did exist he died and he is not coming back! Oh and he was not the son of God but rather another whack job much like we see today in the many cults that have arisen as a result of Christianity.

1. Didnt Jesus exist? You tell the majority of scholars that, like Dr Bart Erham.

2. How do you know He is not coming back? what are you basing this on?

3. Not the son of God? how do you know this?

Quote:It never ceases to amaze me how many dumbasses truly believe that Jesus is returning. And they're certain he'll be here soon! Of course, the dumbasses never stop to think how many dumbasses before them thought the same thing! I only wish I could bet the dumbasses that they're wrong.

Its a core part of Christianity and is not only what 'dumbasses' believe.
Quote:We're his masterpiece? I've seen people who were born with misshapen limbs. I've seen people who were born missing their eyes. I've seen conjoined twins who were fused together at the top of the head! If we are his "masterpiece", this deity needs a new paintbrush.

You are confusing humanity and the problem of evil; two different things.

Quote:Your response doesn't hold water. Care to try again?

Why do people look at a book written by primitive and expect it to be so moral? The Bible was/is black and white, they had slaves. So what? everyone else did too.
Its ok to have doubt, just dont let that doubt become the answers.

You dont hate God, you hate the church game.

"God is not what you imagine or what you think you understand. If you understand you have failed." Saint Augustine

Your mind works very simply: you are either trying to find out what are God's laws in order to follow them; or you are trying to outsmart Him. -Martin H. Fischer
[quote='chatpilot' pid='107851' dateline='1291354655']
[quote]Chapabel, are you seriously trying to justify your evil god by using dispensationalism? [/quote]
Not at all. God needs no justification. However, the Bible is easier to understand if we understand proper dispensation.

[quote]I know how in the O.T. he is said to have established that covenant under the law but with Christ came a new covenant under grace. Either way it still does not change the fact that your god is a bufoon, a racist, murderer, and a megalomaniac. In fact the god of the O.T. and the N.T. don't even seem to be the same deity. [/quote]
Well, you are entitled to your opinion, but that is all it is...an opinion.

[quote]Regarding Bart Erhman, I actually knew him[/quote]
You brag about this?

[quote]He states what made him an unbeliever it was actually reading the bible and studying it. That is actually what made me become an atheist too. [/quote]
According to the Bible neither one of you were a Christian to begin with. You may have played church, but you were never saved.

(December 3, 2010 at 4:59 am)solja247 Wrote: 1. Didnt Jesus exist? You tell the majority of scholars that, like Dr Bart Erham.

There is no evidence outside the Bible that "Jesus" was a real person. Personally, I would say there probably was a guy named Jesus. As for the nonsense about walking on water, healing people, a virgin birth and rising up from the dead.... ROFLOL

Quote:2. How do you know He is not coming back? what are you basing this on?

I can know that "Jesus" isn't coming back for the same reason I know that Elvis isn't coming back.

Quote:3. Not the son of God? how do you know this?

For the simple reason that there is no evidence to support this extraordinary claim.

Quote:It never ceases to amaze me how many dumbasses truly believe that Jesus is returning. And they're certain he'll be here soon! Of course, the dumbasses never stop to think how many dumbasses before them thought the same thing! I only wish I could bet the dumbasses that they're wrong.

Quote:Its a core part of Christianity and is not only what 'dumbasses' believe.

Yes, it's a core part of Christianity. And a couple thousand years ago the Romans believed Apollo pulled the sun across the sky by riding a chariot pulled by four horses. Of course, they were ignorant of the world around them. People today have no such excuse.

Quote:We're his masterpiece? I've seen people who were born with misshapen limbs. I've seen people who were born missing their eyes. I've seen conjoined twins who were fused together at the top of the head! If we are his "masterpiece", this deity needs a new paintbrush.

Quote:You are confusing humanity and the problem of evil; two different things.

How are birth defects a problem of "evil"?

Quote:Why do people look at a book written by primitive and expect it to be so moral?

Wait a minute! Believers tell me that the Bible is the word of GOD! You're telling me it wasn't the work of a deity? (BTW, I agree with your statement!)

Quote: The Bible was/is black and white, they had slaves. So what? everyone else did too.

Well, if the Bible is the work of a deity that people use as a base for their morality, the fact that the Bible permits slavery is a HUGE problem!
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
(December 2, 2010 at 2:55 pm)Chapabel Wrote: I John 1:5...God is Light

I John 4:8...God is Love

He is also my Rock, my fortress, and my Saviour.

Ok now explain god properly.

A: God is light

Does this mean that god is in fact photons, coz that seems a little limiting.

B: God is love-

Not from my reading of the bible, seems to be a horrible arsehole to me.

C: some other words that mean nothing

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(December 3, 2010 at 2:42 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(December 2, 2010 at 2:55 pm)Chapabel Wrote: I John 1:5...God is Light

I John 4:8...God is Love

He is also my Rock, my fortress, and my Saviour.

Ok now explain god properly.

A: God is light

Does this mean that god is in fact photons, coz that seems a little limiting.

B: God is love-

Not from my reading of the bible, seems to be a horrible arsehole to me.

C: some other words that mean nothing

He's speaking in metaphors and you're speaking plainly.

Hebrew is a language made of metaphors. I don't know a lot of it, but I do know that the way it runs tends to be something more like "he is lion-like" rather than "he is courageous". Try translating that into the way Greek and other languages go (they're more on the "courageous" side) and you run into a problem.

I don't know why the fuck we're arguing about this to begin with.

The problem Christians have is that they go around saying that it's not necessary for the rest of us to "prove" anything about it - they believe what they believe and that's that. This is a generalized statement, sure, but it stands. And that's fine, it's a matter of faith.

Except they shoot themselves in the foot because when they go around proselytizing, saying we should believe...and then they have to "prove" why we should. Which leads to "who is this motherfucker anyway?"
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Shocking Reflection]: Finally, I found Mohammed's name in the Bible and the Torah WinterHold 105 5594 November 26, 2022 at 1:29 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
  Pat Robertson finally leaving tv Foxaèr 20 2174 October 8, 2021 at 12:22 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Jerusalem, rapture, the coming of christ, and crazy evangelicals WinterHold 9 1286 May 25, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Gay marriage finally legalized. piterski123 16 6741 June 29, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Regina
  FINALLY Started My Ministry Sasha Gallagher 95 16672 August 31, 2014 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Finally, the good destiny won!... ajmah 13 4175 March 6, 2012 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Epimethean
  Absolute Truth revealed! Finally! Who is God? Andrastos 135 51024 June 20, 2011 at 11:39 am
Last Post: chatpilot
  Rapture Road Trip Jaysyn 3 1451 March 9, 2011 at 3:51 am
Last Post: Jax
  Meaning of Right and Wrong... Finally Answered! pacian 54 25186 October 17, 2010 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: theVOID