Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kickin Em While They Are Down
RE: Kickin Em While They Are Down
I am not one for blanket statements. At least, I try not to be one for blanket statements. Therefore, I am in the middle on this. I have also seen both sides of the spectrum. Extended unemployment benefits means keeping our homelessness rates down. I like that, for people who deserve it. Some people seriously can't find a job in this market. Some people have disabilities for which social security is not paying them. On the other hand, there are welfare queens and welfare drug addicts (I'm only using the word welfare because it was used before I got here. I consider welfare and unemployment to be different.). I don't want to pay a red cent for some coked out bitch to get high while her kid crawls around on a dirty floor in a dirty diaper. I don't care what it might stimulate.
Quote:Anyone who doesn't believe that has the brain of a worm.

And a heart of stone....or a republican.
If it hasn't stimulated the economy in two years, where is your evidence of giving more taxpayer money away will do so? A trillion dollar stimulus bill didn't do any of that and the unemployment figure jumped to 9.8% today. Yeah, that's the ticket! The only place hiring thousands of new employess and having a payroll much larger than before is the federal govt. And they produce squat. They are sucking up all the capital and there is none to use for loans for businesses. Printing more is just going to add to inflation. And if you don't think we don't have inflation now, you haven't been shopping for food recently. Or paying for energy. People aren't taking jobs cause they can make more from their benefits than they can from a job that doesn't replace the one they lost. People are waiting for the benies to run out before looking. That takes money out of everyone's pocket.
At this rate, you be waiting till doomsday for unemployment to stimuluate the economy.
(December 4, 2010 at 3:45 am)Mishka Wrote: If it hasn't stimulated the economy in two years, where is your evidence of giving more taxpayer money away will do so?

I'm sorry but do conservatives have no ability to remember anything beyond last week? Facepalm

Two years ago, our economy was collapsing. Financial institutions and production industries were ready to close their doors. We were looking at the second Great Depression.

Today, the economy is recovering but the growth is sluggish. It's not great but it's a much better than what Obama inherited.

Why do you say the stimulus didn't work?

Now compare that to the Bush record. Tax cuts managed to produce no new jobs to the economy, the overall economy was sluggish compared to the Clinton years and his grand finale was the collapse.

Empirical evidence indicates that tax cuts don't stimulate the economy while stimulus spending does.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
The idea that the rich actually "create" jobs is ludicrous. How do employees get paid? By people spending money. That's right, spending. That means that money to the poor and the middle class tends to be more stimulating because they spend a higher percentage of their income on products. What do the rich do? save their tax cuts.

A President or a government that is responsible will concentrate any "deficit" spending on stimulative activity. That means that unemployment is stimulative and therefore should be approved. Tax cuts for the rich are not stimulative and as such it is deficit spending for no reason. Tax cuts for the middle class and the poor are stimulative and therefore should be done.
(December 3, 2010 at 9:49 pm)Minimalist Wrote: What a fine fucking xtian you are. Jesus would be so proud of you.

Matthew 19:21

Quote:Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

I've only met a handful of christians in my life that weren't total fucking hypocrites regarding greed & wealth. Having another one show up on this forum should be no surprise to anyone.

Matthew 19:24
Jesus Wrote:And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

I almost wish the mythology was true.

(December 4, 2010 at 9:34 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: I'm sorry but do conservatives have no ability to remember anything beyond last week? Facepalm

Two years ago, our economy was collapsing. Financial institutions and production industries were ready to close their doors. We were looking at the second Great Depression.

You really should supply the numbers for these things, so when they try to refute you, they look that much more dishonest.

"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(December 4, 2010 at 10:41 am)Jaysyn Wrote: I've only met a handful of christians in my life that weren't total fucking hypocrites regarding greed & wealth. Having another one show up on this forum should be no surprise to anyone.

I almost wish the mythology was true.
Your limited experience and what you see on TV shouldn't be indicative of shit save you personal opinion.

(December 4, 2010 at 10:41 am)Jaysyn Wrote: You really should supply the numbers for these things, so when they try to refute you, they look that much more dishonest.

Take your own advice.

"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(December 4, 2010 at 9:53 am)Isun Wrote: The idea that the rich actually "create" jobs is ludicrous. How do employees get paid? By people spending money. That's right, spending.
Yes...spending money, on products that are made by companies, which are owned by the rich. The profit goes to the rich, who reinvest it back into the company, so that the company can expand, and create more jobs for people, so that more products can be made, so that more money can be spent on the products, so that more profit can be made...etc etc.

Which basic economics lesson did you miss out on?
Except your precious corporations have been cutting jobs by buying shit made in China and don't give a flying fuck for their workers.

Really, Adrian, haven't you been paying attention at all to what is going on? There are NO FUCKING JOBS because your rich heroes have eliminated them. If you want people to starve to death in the streets at least be honest and just say so. This constant pretending that we are all on the same side here is getting tiresome.
How am I pretending we are on the same side? I'm fully aware that you disagree with me, and I haven't stated otherwise. Perhaps you are just getting tired with me supporting my position? Well, I'm in my rights to, as are you. Nobody is forcing you to discuss things with me if you don't want to.

Of course corporations want to save money, so if they can employ cheap labour in another country, they are going to. They are creating jobs over there by doing so; many more than they might over here. If the consumer doesn't like this kind of behaviour, then they can organise a boycott, which might make them reconsider their position. I don't see many people doing this though, which either means enough people are fine with their behaviour, or people just aren't aware of what is going on.

I don't want people to starve in the streets, and I find it offensive that you would even suggest that I thought that.

There are plenty of jobs; some people just aren't qualified enough to take them. I get emails every few days from a graduate jobs board with vacancies. There are also plenty of startup companies looking for workers (I get emails from them as well).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm Getting Real Down On Elizabeth Warren AFTT47 17 1554 November 3, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  People do not know how close they really are until they start a war with somebody WinterHold 5 890 October 10, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Biden isn't going down GrandizerII 82 4476 August 16, 2019 at 3:33 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Meanwhile, Down on the Border Yonadav 6 794 March 11, 2019 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  The further dumbing down of the POTUS Joods 6 865 September 20, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  FOX Being Dragged Down By Their Anchor Minimalist 10 1563 August 23, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Oh, Poor Mike Pence. His Favorite Hobby Horse Shot Down Minimalist 8 1684 April 21, 2018 at 3:24 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The country is going down the shitter with Trump in office, but it's okay NuclearEnergy 7 1126 December 4, 2017 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Firm worked on Trump dossier while....... Court Jester 17 3522 August 25, 2017 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Skinny Repeal Goes Down The Shitter, Too. Minimalist 43 10331 July 29, 2017 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist