Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Is What Happens When You Put An Idiot In Charge of a Complex System
RE: This Is What Happens When You Put An Idiot In Charge of a Complex System
(July 29, 2018 at 7:07 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: I saw a segment on the news that even farmers who are hurting because of the tariffs still support him.  Not sure how representative that is.  I see that and the tendency of Republicans to believe Trump over other sources of information as different from any anti-intellectual trend.  A couple of things, beyond what you've mentioned.  Trump has a lot of support from religious and conservatively religious voters, and they tend to be poorer, as well as significantly anti-intellectual.  Also, as a mattter of values, conservatives are more group oriented and authoritarian oriented than the left, so they'll prefer in-group to out-group stronger than a hypothetical partisan of the left.

Farmers tend to come from more rural areas and rural areas tend to support republicans.  This doesn't really surprise me.  Unfortunately.  Best chance to get rid of the orange skinned sack of crap is convincing the blue collar factory workers not to vote for him and I think that's working better.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
There is no point in trying to reason with the trumptards.  They are hopeless.

The solution is to get the people who didn't vote for one reason or another last time off their asses on election day.  Especially the ones who convinced themselves that there was "no difference" between Hillary and the WLB.
(July 29, 2018 at 11:36 am)Minimalist Wrote: There is no point in trying to reason with the trumptards.  They are hopeless.

The solution is to get the people who didn't vote for one reason or another last time off their asses on election day.  Especially the ones who convinced themselves that there was "no difference" between Hillary and the WLB.

I wouldn't say there's no difference between Hillary and Tinyhands McPussygrabbin, but I do think Hillary is part of an alarming trend I've seen in the democratic party.  They've been so willing and eager to compromise and negotiate and find a middle ground with republicans that they've been steadily pushing the democratic party further and further to the right.  I've watched this happen for the past 20 years and it's gotten damn rare to see the democrats take a strong stance on anything.  The end result seems to be that we have two partys in America: the center-right party and the completely batshit crazy party.  And if we let the trend continue, if we keep moving to the right to appease republicans, where are we going to be?  Are we going to have two parties, both of which are dangerously insane?  Are we going to look back at the Trump presidency and wish politics of our times could be as progressive as that?  Because that's what worries me.

Sure, in the general election, I'll support Hillary.  If I were in a battleground state, I would have unquestionably voted for her.  But the rest of the time, I'm pushing for change within the DNC.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Nothing wrong with pushing for change.  In fact it is what the democrats need.

But some of these fools really think Hillary would be blowing Putin right now.
The change the race to the middle has been promoting is the change we see today.  Food for thought.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
https://theconversation.com/how-trumps-t...ans-100702

Quote:How Trump’s trade war affects working-class Americans

Quote:Since the president claims to be acting on behalf of working-class Americans, it’s fair to ask: How do tariffs actually affect them?

Scholars of international political economy, such as myself, recognize that trade hasn’t always been good for poorer Americans. However, the economic fundamentals are clear: Tariffs make things worse.

Longish - but Progressives are supposed to be able to handle more than a 4 word slogan!  And the MAGA fascisti won't read it anyway.
Another decline.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-trump-...m?ref=home

Quote:The Trump Slump Hits U.S. Tourism

Despite a world-wide boom in travel, ever since our forty-fifth president was elected, tourism to the United States from foreign countries has steadily dropped.

Well.... at least we managed to beat out Turkey.
[Image: CxIbgV9.jpg]
[Image: Evolution.png]

More winning, guys.

https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-g...96580.html

Quote:Fairfield losing another 126 jobs after TV-maker closes plant, citing Trump tariffs

Quote:In a letter to the S.C. Department of Employment and Workforce obtained by The State, Element wrote “the layoff and closure is a result of the new tariffs that were recently and unexpectedly imposed on many goods imported from China, including the key television components used in our assembly operations in Winnsboro.”

South Carolina voted for the Dickhead by 55% to 41%.  Put ice on your assholes, morons.
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/08/conserv...weet-ever/

Quote:Conservative columnist drops the mic on ‘deliberately ignorant’ Trump for his ‘stupidest tweet ever’

Probably counter-productive to call anything that comes out of the fucktard's mouth the "stupidest."  He can normally surpass his prior bar for stupidity in another day or so.
Maybe you'd be better served with "stupidest tweet yet," Jennifer.

Quote:In a column for the Post published Thursday morning, an exasperated Rubin responded, “No, no, no.”
“Our country was founded on a principle Trump often seems unacquainted with: ‘We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,” she began.
She continued, “Unless Trump wants to retreat to a 1776-sized economy or relive the Great Depression (care of Smoot-Hawley) it’s best we not follow the outdated mercantilist philosophy that was supplanted fortunately by Adam Smith who deplored tariffs (‘extraordinary restraints upon the importation of almost all sorts of goods from those countries with which the balance of trade is supposed to be disadvantageous’).”

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Put your lips together and whistleblow. Brian37 22 1842 September 21, 2019 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Saudi Arabia prohibits shorts for men and put a fine on wearing them ! WinterHold 34 3992 June 18, 2019 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Social Credit System Seraphina 15 915 October 11, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Drug Executive: It's a moral requirement to charge patients the highest price Divinity 13 811 September 15, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot chimp3 14 5064 September 10, 2017 at 5:02 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  US health care system rated the worst Foxaèr 0 765 July 15, 2017 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  This Is What Happens When You Elect A Turd as President Minimalist 38 10557 July 4, 2017 at 3:56 am
Last Post: JackRussell
  Royal Marine pleads guilty to terror charge account_inactive 33 3768 February 4, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Private Prison Complex receives terrible news. The Grand Nudger 78 9213 September 3, 2016 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  If We Had A Medical Section I'd Put This In It Minimalist 52 6283 August 30, 2016 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Minimalist