Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does?
Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does?
Before answering, bear in mind that there is no physical mechanism known, or proposed, for water to have memory. Nor what this would actually mean. If water did have memory then the tap water that we drink would have conflicting and interacting memories from being recycled through the sewer system. Also that homeopathic pills do not have a single molecule of the original substance left in it. Add to that absolutely no evidence that it provides any benefit.

Things to consider:

Why homeopathy is nonsense
Homeopathic uranium 200X and similarly bizarre stories

So a question to sceptics of homeopathy.

Do you know that it doesn't work, or are you just not convinced by claims from practitioners of homeopathy that it is effective?

And if you say that you know that it doesn't work because it violates everything we know about the laws of physics and chemistry and relies upon ambiguous definitions (e.g. water memory), then why can't we same thing about the existence of a god?

At what point can we say for sure that we know that something does not exist or does not work?
RE: Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does?
I can see no possible way that it could work. Show me two samples of water, one plain water and one with a homeopathic dose so diluted as to be un measurable and show a way to reliably detect the homeopathic water.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does?
I think, by some definitions, there are very few things we "know".

Can I be certain, 100% that there is no all knowing creator, or that homeopathy is bullshit? No. Nor do I claim such knowledge.

What I do know is that both things lack sufficient evidence to convince me, or even persuade me of the probability of either. After looking into both, I consider them to be highly unlikely enough that I can dismiss them in favor of proposals that are more likely.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Homeopathy doesn't work differently from a placebo, therefore, it doesn't work.

I see where you're getting at Tongue
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
(August 21, 2018 at 8:19 am)Mathilda Wrote: And if you say that you know that it doesn't work because it violates everything we know about the laws of physics and chemistry and relies upon ambiguous definitions (e.g. water memory), then why can't we same thing about the existence of a god?

"Homeopathy works" is a falsifiable hypothesis. "God exists" is not.

You can demonstrate that homeopathy does not work. There is a mountain of evidence that allows us to be certain of this.

Not so with God. So we atheists are going to have to be content with "pretty damn sure" because no amount of evidence will provide complete certainty in the matter.
(August 21, 2018 at 8:27 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I can see no possible way that it could work. Show me two samples of water, one plain water and one with a homeopathic dose so diluted as to be un measurable and show a way to reliably detect the homeopathic water.

We can't reliably detect any type of god nor can think of any way that we could possibly go about this, yet people still say that they just lack belief in the existence of a god but are otherwise open to the possibility. Are you open to the possibility that homeopathy works?

(August 21, 2018 at 8:33 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: "Homeopathy works" is a falsifiable hypothesis. "God exists" is not.

It is falsifiable if you first define what a god is.

If you can't define what a god is then you can dismiss the notion of a its existence as meaningless.
(August 21, 2018 at 8:33 am)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(August 21, 2018 at 8:19 am)Mathilda Wrote: And if you say that you know that it doesn't work because it violates everything we know about the laws of physics and chemistry and relies upon ambiguous definitions (e.g. water memory), then why can't we same thing about the existence of a god?

"Homeopathy works" is a falsifiable hypothesis. "God exists" is not.

You can demonstrate that homeopathy does not work. There is a mountain of evidence that allows us to be certain of this.

Not so with God. So we atheists are going to have to be content with "pretty damn sure" because no amount of evidence will provide complete certainty in the matter.
It does work though. It provides a measurable benefit over no treatment at all.

Of course you and I know it's because of the placebo effect, not because of magic memory water, but many believers would just say the placebo effect is BS, and clearly homeopathy works.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Even if the water molecules could "remember" to imitate a different molecule they had once been in contact with, it still doesn't work as the distribution of electric charges on those "remembering" water molecules would be different.

So, it's doubly impossible sine water doesn't remember in the first place.

Imagine the financial incentive for Mexican drug cartels to work out homeopathic heroin or cocaine !!

And no one ever claims they have made that work.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(August 21, 2018 at 8:33 am)Mathilda Wrote: It is falsifiable if you first define what a god is.

If you can't define what a god is then you can dismiss the notion of a its existence as meaningless.

Even if you do clearly define what God is, how can you test the hypothesis?
(August 21, 2018 at 8:41 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Imagine the financial incentive for Mexican drug cartels to work out homeopathic heroin or cocaine !!  

And no one ever claims they have made that work.

Imagine buying some homeopathic pills then taking it back to the shop complaining that it doesn't work because it clearly hasn't been properly diluted. The concept is absurd.

But then so too is the concept of a god

The absolute absurdity of God

(August 21, 2018 at 8:42 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: Even if you do clearly define what God is, how can you test the hypothesis?

Depends how you define it.

If you can define it that is. Personally I don't think it can be properly defined because once you do, you end up with something that isn't a god.

And by define, I mean, explain exactly what it can and cannot do, how it came about, where it gets its energy from, or failing that how you can reliably reproduce some phenomenon that is 'god'.

(August 21, 2018 at 8:30 am)Aroura Wrote: I think, by some definitions, there are very few things we "know".

Can I be certain, 100% that there is no all knowing creator, or that homeopathy is bullshit? No. Nor do I claim such knowledge.

If you climb out the window and let go, do you know that you will not float away on a gentle breeze?

What is more likely, if any? That homeopathy works or that you will float away?

If you can't know that you won't float away then I'd argue that your use of the word 'know' is too restrictive to be useful. Because for all intents and purposes you do know (hint, don't let go if you do try).

Now it may be that someone doesn't know enough about physics and chemistry to say that homeopathy is absurd. But that's different to what a lot of agnostic atheists say about the existence of a god being unknowable. A physicist or chemist knows enough to say that homeopathy does not work. I personally argue that we collectively know enough from the scientific literature to say that a god cannot exist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A 21st Century Ontological Argument: does it work. JJoseph 23 1113 January 9, 2024 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 5940 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
  Why God doesn't stop satan? purplepurpose 225 14141 June 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Photo Popular atheist says universe is not a work of art like a painting Walter99 32 3266 March 22, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5615 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5367 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 76241 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 21631 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Not religious doesn't necessarily mean atheist John V 99 17198 November 8, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 6920 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy