Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists & Jehovah's Witnesses
Atheists & Jehovah's Witnesses
This is a continuation of a thread I started on The Thinking Atheist. I would like to hear about and discuss any recent or past encounters that participants here have had with JW's who showed up at your door or who you have met in public places.

JW's usually ring my doorbell twice a year. There are two Kingdom Halls within a half hour's drive of my house. I seldom see the same faces more than once and it has been well over a decade since any of them have been willing to come inside to discuss and debate religion. I let them know immediately that I'm an atheist and present them with atheist tracts and my atheist business card, which they always refuse to read. Read
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
RE: Atheists & Jehovah's Witnesses
[Image: pGMCJmT.jpg]
A group of four Jehovah's Witnesses knocked at my door a couple of months ago. When I asked them what evidence they had for God's existence, one of them made a sweeping gesture toward the woods in back of my house, saying, "There's your evidence right there!"

"No," I replied, "that's only evidence that I own several acres of wooded property. Evolution is a perfectly adequate explanation of how all those trees and woodland creatures got there."

"What is your religion?" their leader asked.

"I have no religion or god," I replied. "I'm an atheist."

They all shrugged their shoulders and left. Intellectual cowards! [Image: dodgy.gif]
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(October 8, 2018 at 7:29 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: A group of four Jehovah's Witnesses knocked at my door a couple of months ago. When I asked them what evidence they had for God's existence, one of them made a sweeping gesture toward the woods in back of my house, saying, "There's your evidence right there!"

"No," I replied, "that's only evidence that I own several acres of wooded property. Evolution is a perfectly adequate explanation of how all those trees and woodland creatures got there."

"What is your religion?" their leader asked.

"I have no religion or god," I replied. "I'm an atheist."

They all shrugged their shoulders and left. Intellectual cowards! [Image: dodgy.gif]

Theists aren't cowards or stupid. They just didn't get proper education to see basic things like proper evidence, the one science and courts use.
Have a JW church down the road from me, funnily enough they don’t like to piss people off too close to home so they haven’t bothered anyone on my street more than once so far.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
I normally hide when I hear them knock then make stupid noises in different rooms to confuse them.
We have a JW hall less than 3 miles away but, in 10 years, have not had one come to the door.

There are a lot of evangelical start ups or seed chruch's here in the heartland (one is called Coram Deo) that come by more frequently. Just a "no thanks, atheist" and shut the door.

I used to invite them in but it got boring.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I live in a high-rise apartment building. I never get any of the fun visitors. Just the political canvassers once a year, and the occasional lost person knocking on the door of the wrong apartment.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I invite them in and argue with them, while I am annoying them they are not pestering anyone else.
I once had a family leave in tears when we got to talking about blood transfusion, they had their daughter with them (about 12 years old) I asked what they would do if she was in an accident and was bleeding to death at the side of the road and only a transfusion could save her. They said they would pray for her. I called them disgusting child murderers who would let their own daughter die, the look on the girls face was wonderful, cruel maybe, but maybe it shocked her out of her conditioning and got her to think
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

I've been bothered exactly once by JWs at my current address. I'm pretty sure they go after lower-hanging fruit now. Same with Mormons. Neither seemed too inconvenienced by the "No Soliciting" sign next to the door bell.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2176 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  One of Jehovah's Witnesses needs your help Won2blv 46 7185 May 1, 2015 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Chas
  Jehovah’s Witnesses Mad That Atheists Won’t Keep Their Views to Themselves DiRNiS 25 5755 September 10, 2010 at 1:29 am
Last Post: chatpilot