Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
User Suggestions for Future of Atheist Forums
User Suggestions for Future of Atheist Forums
In light of recent events, the staff would like to open up some discussion on balancing free speech with an at least somewhat welcoming environment that's conducive to on-topic discussion. We would like to take suggestions from the forum on how we can promote an attitude to that end without inhibiting our ability to share our opinions and criticize each other's world views. This is where you can share those suggestions.

Please note:

In the interest of organization, we ask that you please do not respond to each other's suggestions in this thread. Please only make your own suggestions and/or kudos the suggestions you like and move on. This will help us get to everyone's suggestions without wading through conversations, but you can, of course, create a peanut gallery thread.

We also want to emphasize that we're trying to consider every single suggestion, but there is no guarantee we can implement even one of them, so please remember that coming into this thread. We're doing the best we can to find a balance.

ETA: I am deleting comments that are responses to suggestions. I told ya not to do it. Also, serious suggestions only.
RE: User Suggestions for Future of Atheist Forums
When are we getting a poop emoji, for chrissake??

Big Grin

ETA: A smilie just to clarify I'm joking!

-Teresa
Administrator Notice
I want to set the tone for this thread:

If you don't care to calmly, rationally talk about improvements to the forum like an adult, DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD.

This is your warning.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I would suggest just enforcing the already in place forum rules. I believe them to be sufficient. Organizing is another issue.

I would like the new posts filter to be variable to preference. Ie. under user prefs have an option to show all new posts or only posts I’m subscribed to.

Either that or have results nested under the forum it belongs to like a collapsible folder structure.

Either option would help with accidentally posting in an area you might not really wish to post in.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Yall are doin great in a shit job, keep doing you.  This place will never be everyone's cup of tea.  That's my suggestion.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Not a clue.
1. Expand the debate area to allow panel discussions for closed invitation-only groups.

2. Moderate thread titles to remove insulting, vague, or provocative references.
<insert profound quote here>
Thread safe option or civil rules in place option for people making threads. Label the thread that. As well, have it as a limit of 3 or something like that, per month per member. So that it over all stays all rules allowed, but some threads have civil rules in place.
Really, the only difference I can think of is extending the amount of time where editing a post is allowed. It can be annoying to look back on a thread and notice that you really made a glaring typo. Or fix whatever bug causes certain words to disappear from a passage that's in links.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I still suggest a Civil Discussions section to be available for those interested. I feel like it is a good compromise because people can choose whether or not they want to post in it, and if they don't like it, they still have the rest of the forum for more freedom. If Tibs is the only mod willing to mod it and needs help, Poca has already volunteered to be made a mod again to help mod that section.

Another thing I suggest is making a rule about thread titles not being overly nasty. The reason for this is that it may attract the wrong kind of people to join. From an outsider's perspective, try to imagine what you would think if you were looking for a forum, clicked on here, and were immediately met with thread titles with hateful words towards particular groups of people. It may certainly attract the wrong kinda crowd, and scare off the type of people who aren't about that. Also, I feel it kinda sets the tone and atmosphere for the forums, in a way, since it's right there and staring us in the face all the time.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Future of the Forums (Discussion) Tiberius 130 19995 May 6, 2020 at 9:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 4) Tiberius 27 4808 April 27, 2019 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 1) Tiberius 201 26770 January 11, 2019 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Cod
  Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 3) Forum Bot 33 6162 December 31, 2018 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  [Serious] Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 2) Tiberius 81 10795 December 19, 2018 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Atheist Forums Financial Report 2017 Tiberius 12 3214 January 11, 2018 at 5:51 am
Last Post: Sal
  Cards Against Atheist Forums Tiberius 32 15956 September 27, 2017 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheist Forums is now HTTPS only. Tiberius 19 3516 March 15, 2017 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Atheist Forums' 12 Days of Christmas Tiberius 19 4289 December 23, 2016 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist Forums Holiday Logo 2016! Tiberius 13 3013 December 2, 2016 at 8:04 am
Last Post: account_inactive