Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 12:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US - raise the gas tax
US - raise the gas tax
raising the gas tax by a couple bucks a gallon ---

Pro - 

People will opt for smaller, lighter, more fuel efficient vehicles. History shows this.
Using less gas, driving less - good for the environment.
High gas prices will make alternative fuels/power sources more economically viable. It will also spur development.

Con -

Gas hogs will have a lighter wallet. ( whaaaaa!!!)
RE: US - raise the gas tax
No reason to raise a tax when we can just cut subsidies. Oil is a global welfare queen.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 27, 2018 at 9:42 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: No reason to raise a tax when we can just cut subsidies.  Oil is a global welfare queen.

Yes - there is a reason.

To curb gluttonous use that Americans seem unable to restrain.
I really fucking hate this crap. \

TAXES on anything you buy constitute the LEAST amount of money you hand over to the cashier. Most of what you pay goes to the fucking company. And taxes and regulations are ALSO used to spark new innovation to create more efficient and cheaper goods.

I once heard a smoker at a gas station complain about the taxes on one pack of smokes. If the pack costs 5 dollars and 1 dollar is the tax, I am no genus but 1 is still a smaller number than 4.

But yea, I am sick of even liberal media harping on gas prices low or high, we need to move away from burning fossil fuels in any case.
(November 27, 2018 at 9:46 am)onlinebiker Wrote:
(November 27, 2018 at 9:42 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: No reason to raise a tax when we can just cut subsidies.  Oil is a global welfare queen.

Yes - there is a reason.

To curb gluttonous use that Americans seem unable to restrain.

We use it because it's laying around, it's laying around because it's subsidized.  Cutting those subsidies to producers will increase the price without resorting to a tax on the consumer, which would generate less revenue than the revenue lost to subsidy in the first place.

Taxing the consumer while providing subsidy to the producer is corporate welfare logic, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
A few years ago, gas was $4 a gallon. That didn't spur me to drive less, because I already didn't drive any more often than I needed to, and it didn't spur me to get a hybrid car because I can't afford one. I agree we need to get off fossil fuels, but I don't think giving more money to these companies via a higher gas tax is going to fix the problem.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(November 27, 2018 at 9:59 am)Chad32 Wrote: A few years ago, gas was $4 a gallon. That didn't spur me to drive less, because I already didn't drive any more often than I needed to, and it didn't spur me to get a hybrid car because I can't afford one. I agree we need to get off fossil fuels, but I don't think giving more money to these companies via a higher gas tax is going to fix the problem.

The idea is that if taxes don't work to change society's behavior, regulations also work in combo to that. If we always did what giant corporations wanted without regulations cars would not have seat belts or air bags. We would still have the same pre Great Depression labor laws. 

The only real argument anyone on the right can make, isn't "No taxes at all" or "no regulations at all" which is utopia bullshit, but the only real argument to be had is which taxes/regulations are effective and which ones are not. The problem with the GOP is they are merely bent on protecting the top.
Gas, like food, seems to be a necessary commodity for many people and so is a subsistence good. It is required in order to live and exercise one's basic rights. As such, taxing it for the purpose of achieving other goods, or at all, tends to be regressive, and thus preferably discouraged. Progressive taxes are, according to most, preferred over regressive taxes, and there is no shortage of possible progressive taxes we could use to achieve the same goals. The fact that the affluent would not be particularly affected by such a tax is a negative.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 27, 2018 at 10:05 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: Gas, like food, seems to be a necessary commodity for many people and so is a subsistence good.  It is required in order to live and exercise one's basic rights.  As such, taxing it for the purpose of achieving other goods, or at all, tends to be regressive, and thus preferably discouraged.  Progressive taxes are, according to most, preferred over regressive taxes, and there is no shortage of possible progressive taxes we could use to achieve the same goals.  The fact that the affluent would not be particularly affected by such a tax is a negative.

Um no, gas is not a necessity. It is an addiction protected by global oil greed. 

If humanity had been listening to scientists back in the late 1800s when it was first calculated as to the amount of dangerous CO2 levels could harm the planet, if industry had done the right thing back then, innovation for clean energy could have succeeded by now.

We even had solar technology starting in the early 1900s. 

It isn't a matter of too much tax or no taxes, or too much regulation vs no regulation. It is a matter of stopping monopolies of power and getting global industry to compete to solve problems, not always compete to grow.
The country does best when the burden is mainly on the rich, and not the poor. The rich can afford to pay more, and they'll still be rich. The poor struggle enough without raising taxes on basic stuff.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gas and Go smoke em if you got em. Taxes. Brian37 25 1796 October 12, 2021 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Biden had to walk back a tax increase jasonelijah 6 827 March 31, 2021 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Does rasising the corporate tax rate help or hurt? jasonelijah 16 793 March 30, 2021 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Warren's Wealth Tax Yonadav 5 907 January 25, 2019 at 3:24 pm
  Unbelievable! Paul Ryan praises $1.50/week tax cut! Jehanne 14 2559 February 6, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  AP says 90% of Workers get Tax Cut Neo-Scholastic 64 5210 February 4, 2018 at 12:13 am
  How Bad Is The Senate Tax Bill? Minimalist 41 6164 December 12, 2017 at 5:14 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The GOP's turd of a tax bill Jackalope 34 4046 November 14, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Senate Republicunt Assholes Prepare Their Own Tax Plan Minimalist 7 1282 November 9, 2017 at 8:12 am
  Ann Coulter Reminds the WLB That His Racist Fans Don't Care About Tax Cuts Minimalist 29 6711 September 1, 2017 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: dyresand