Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 1)
RE: Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 1)
(December 11, 2018 at 1:45 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I like the Oxford English Dictionary's definition: "A derogatory or insulting term applied to particular group of people."

So yeah, swearing itself is fine, provided there's some relevancy to the thread. We don't want to see any more stuff like "Christard", "Libtard", etc.

So, insulting the system in question is okay (presuming that the actual thread in question goes into at least some depth about why, even if it's just related to one news story), but insulting the practitioners taken in by it as a whole is not? That's reasonable.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(December 11, 2018 at 1:52 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(December 11, 2018 at 1:45 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I like the Oxford English Dictionary's definition: "A derogatory or insulting term applied to particular group of people."

So yeah, swearing itself is fine, provided there's some relevancy to the thread. We don't want to see any more stuff like "Christard", "Libtard", etc.

So, insulting the system in question is okay (presuming that the actual thread in question goes into at least some depth about why, even if it's just related to one news story), but insulting the practitioners taken in by it as a whole is not? That's reasonable.

See my response after that. The response you just quoted wasn't directed at your question.
(December 11, 2018 at 1:50 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(December 11, 2018 at 1:44 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Also, does the "no slurs rule" still apply if it's only directed against the belief system itself and not the people taken in by it, something like (for instance) "Objectivism is fucking stupid" as opposed to "all Objectivists are stupid?"

That's a good question and I think we'll have to discuss it more. If people are just going to change "Christards" to "Christardianity" then part of me feels like that violates the spirit of the rule even if it doesn't violate the exact wording of it.

Yeah, if we're going to make this rule, we'll definitely need to figure out the exact interpretation we'll go with. Also, I started writing that post before you did that post, so I only read that after I submitted that post.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I don't think calling an idea / belief system "fucking stupid" is a slur, either though. Calling it "retarded" would be.
As long as nobody puts ABBA in the corner.
(December 11, 2018 at 1:50 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(December 11, 2018 at 1:44 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Also, does the "no slurs rule" still apply if it's only directed against the belief system itself and not the people taken in by it, something like (for instance) "Objectivism is fucking stupid" as opposed to "all Objectivists are stupid?"

That's a good question and I think we'll have to discuss it more. If people are just going to change "Christards" to "Christardianity" then part of me feels like that violates the spirit of the rule even if it doesn't violate the exact wording of it.

Exactly this. If someone feels that they have to use words like these to keep their head from exploding, save them for the body of the post.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 11, 2018 at 2:00 pm)Brian37 Wrote: As long as nobody puts ABBA in the corner.

This is good news for you, Brian. The rule prohibits the use of ‘ABBAtards’ in thread titles. Smile

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
This seems like a very good change to the forum. Great
(December 11, 2018 at 2:07 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 11, 2018 at 2:00 pm)Brian37 Wrote: As long as nobody puts ABBA in the corner.

This is good news for you, Brian. The rule prohibits the use of ‘ABBAtards’ in thread titles. Smile

Boru

NO SOUP FOR YOU!
(December 11, 2018 at 1:57 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I don't think calling an idea / belief system "fucking stupid" is a slur, either though. Calling it "retarded" would be.

I disagree. In essence, calling something retarded *is* calling it fucking stupid.

My feeling is that you call Christianity retarded, but not Christians as a whole...in the thread title. Then again, you could be construed as making fun of mentally retarded people in the thread title, which is equally uncool.

Just don't call entire groups of people names in thread titles. It's easy, people.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big error on my part arewethereyet 13 3349 December 28, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] Future of the Forums (Discussion) Tiberius 130 20002 May 6, 2020 at 9:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 4) Tiberius 27 4812 April 27, 2019 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 3) Forum Bot 33 6181 December 31, 2018 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  [Serious] Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 2) Tiberius 81 10808 December 19, 2018 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: mlmooney89
  User Suggestions for Future of Atheist Forums Shell B 47 7280 November 30, 2018 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Atheist Forums Financial Report 2017 Tiberius 12 3219 January 11, 2018 at 5:51 am
Last Post: Sal
  Cards Against Atheist Forums Tiberius 32 15981 September 27, 2017 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheist Forums is now HTTPS only. Tiberius 19 3528 March 15, 2017 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Atheist Forums' 12 Days of Christmas Tiberius 19 4297 December 23, 2016 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady