Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 1)
RE: Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 1)
(December 11, 2018 at 10:21 pm)Shell B Wrote:
(December 11, 2018 at 10:14 pm)anjele Wrote: I would say decisions have been made and it's a matter of you are good with the new rules and adapt and hang around or you leave.

But then again, a big decision was made not long ago and rescinded almost immediately.

As I said earlier...more observation needed.

These are user-suggested rules adapted to attempt to find the middle ground. They may be tweaked after seeing them in action, but few of any will be going anywhere when we’re done figuring it all out.

I am not looking for argument...just trying to find my way around here.

If you don't see the changes going anywhere then I would have to repeat that decisions have been made.  Yes, I read where it is states that few if any will be done away with though they may be tweaked.  It's essentially a done deal that may require a little polishing.  For the members it's a matter of take it or leave it.

Such is life.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I wasn’t trying to argue. I was responding. Sad
(December 11, 2018 at 9:57 pm)Whateverist Wrote:
(December 11, 2018 at 7:02 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Calling an idea "stupid" isn't the best way to critique something, but ultimately it's a relatively tame expression. Calling an idea "fucking stupid" is less desirable, but still, "fucking" just emphasizes the stupidity you are trying to convey.

Calling an idea "retarded" is literally using a slur for mentally disabled people. So yeah, there's a big difference.

I would say both of those would be allowed. The emphasis of the rule is really on "slurs". "Stupid" and "Inane" are perfectly valid criticisms of ideas; of course they both should be expanded on. Saying "Why Christianity is so retarded" would be disallowed due to the use of the slur.

There are some words which are always slurs (e.g. retarded). There are some words which are slurs in context (e.g. retard). There are some words which are slurs when you purposefully apply them to people, but not when they are applied to ideas (e.g. stupid).

Calling a particular idea stupid is one thing but to characterize any and all facets of Christianity as stupid would require a great deal of explaining.  Otherwise, how is that any different than trashing an entire group of people.  Consider in the political realm how the same sweeping condemnation of conservatism or liberalism would come off sounding.  Wouldn't it become a condemnation of an entire group of people without a narrowed target of criticism along with adequate support for making that case?

For me there is a difference in calling an idea stupid, and calling believers of the idea stupid. Believing in a stupid idea doesn't automatically make one stupid; perhaps it's an idea that they haven't thought about enough, or haven't heard a good argument against, for example.

I agree that calling Christianity as a whole, stupid, requires a great deal of explaining. That's what threads are for though.

I want to keep having user feedback for changes. If the current thread title rule is a success, there may be people wishing to expand it to include other things, we shall have to see.

(December 11, 2018 at 9:58 pm)Aliza Wrote:
(December 11, 2018 at 9:43 pm)Tiberius Wrote: "Once again, a reminder that this is the first post in a series, there will be more to come"

Okay, fair enough. It's an announcement, not an open discussion.

It is an open discussion. I was taking issue with you saying "That doesn't seem like it will go far enough to inspire measurable change."

Again, there are more changes, some of them related to this new rule (in part) which we have yet to announce. I think people will be pleased, at least I hope they will. The staff are still discussing several changes, we have many agreed to, some we need to flesh out more, etc. I'll be making an announcement hopefully every few days to get feedback.
Folks, in future, please do not refer to folks as Min has as described as "How Fucked Up Are Trumptards?"

Please refer to them as dignified upstanding citizens who will make America great again.

Tibs? Have I gone too far right now?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
A better way to do it would be to create a thread title like, "Trump Supporter Does Something Stupid" and then in the thread write, "How fucked up is this Trumptard?" Simple.
Are we making a special ONE ONLY exception for "TARD" and ONLY with reference to TRUMP?

I'm old fashioned as still find that word demeaning and disrespectful in any context even though I know it's been colloquialized..
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
[Image: waitingforgodot_web.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
If we're still allowed to call an idea stupid, the overall vibe of the thread titles won't really change. It's essentially a loophole for those looking to put slurs in thread titles.
The word bed actually looks like a bed. 
If we can’t call an idea stupid, what’s the point of conversing? We’d all be just agreeing with each other. Attacking ideas and not people is the hallmark of decent debate.
(December 12, 2018 at 1:02 am)DodosAreDead Wrote: If we're still allowed to call an idea stupid, the overall vibe of the thread titles won't really change. It's essentially a loophole for those looking to put slurs in thread titles.

How is it a loophole for putting slurs in thread titles?
Do you really think saying “Christianity is stupid” is a slur? Or am I missing something?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big error on my part arewethereyet 13 3347 December 28, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] Future of the Forums (Discussion) Tiberius 130 19995 May 6, 2020 at 9:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 4) Tiberius 27 4808 April 27, 2019 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 3) Forum Bot 33 6162 December 31, 2018 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  [Serious] Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 2) Tiberius 81 10795 December 19, 2018 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: mlmooney89
  User Suggestions for Future of Atheist Forums Shell B 47 7267 November 30, 2018 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Atheist Forums Financial Report 2017 Tiberius 12 3214 January 11, 2018 at 5:51 am
Last Post: Sal
  Cards Against Atheist Forums Tiberius 32 15956 September 27, 2017 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheist Forums is now HTTPS only. Tiberius 19 3516 March 15, 2017 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Atheist Forums' 12 Days of Christmas Tiberius 19 4289 December 23, 2016 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady