Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 2)
Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 2)
You may have noticed something different about this thread. It's [Serious].

One of the more popular suggestions made was being able to tag a thread as "safe", meaning posts within that thread had to abide by stricter rules than usual. We've decided to implement the idea for a trial run, though we're using a "Serious" tag to indicate that the discussion in the thread should be approached seriously. If you frequent /r/AskReddit on reddit.com, you might have seen something similar.

From January 1st, when you create a new thread, you should see a dropdown box in front of the thread subject field. You can choose to tag your thread as "Serious", and the following additional restrictions will be in place:
  • Posts should be on topic or at the very least, related to the topic (i.e. no derailing).
  • Posts should not consist of only jokes. We're not outright banning jokes, but your post should add to the discussion.
  • Posts should not contain insults, of any kind.
Members who violate these rules will be banned from the thread. Note that we are allowing swearing, provided you aren't doing it at someone.

You will be able to create a Serious thread in any forum, with the exception of R'lyeh (due to the rules conflicting).

Again, this is going to be a trial run. We're not putting an end date on the trial. We want to judge whether it causes an excessive / unreasonable workload for staff. My hope is that people will self-moderate their comments within these threads, and we won't have to ban many people.

I am considering writing some code which will make it more obvious that you are in a Serious thread, such as a background color change and warning message above the reply message box.

Please also note, this thread is tagged as Serious for demonstration purposes only. Your replies here don't have to abide by the aforementioned rules.
RE: Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 2)
Eventually we will have [HUMOR]?
-and that's the beginning of the end.  Where is the Boss of Threads I admired? Wink

Divi.....Tiberio.....?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
It won't affect you at all Khem. All your patronizing is done seriously and respectfully anyway.
(But it will fuck up my "special ice breaking comments" demeanour).
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Damn, silly theists like Max will no longer have an excuse to pout and run away like girlie men.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Is somebody going to judge if the thread subject should even be considered serious? I can imagine some abuse from the lunatic fringe. 

I'm not against giving it a try, but not holding my breath either.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I personally don't think I'll be partaking in [serious] threads, tbh.
Much like the "civil" subforum. For exactly the same reasons.
That said. Your house, your rules. And someone making a thread in your house: their sub-house and sub-rules. I'm perfectly fine with them setting their bar for discussion.

I'm free not to talk to them in said threads. Just too bad that it might become a bit less chatty in here.
(Then again, I might be mistaken, it might lead to more and deeper discussion. But I personally doubt it.)
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
Let's do a trial test run:

[Serious] The Benefits of Creationism

Min, you first! lol
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(December 13, 2018 at 6:41 pm)ignoramus Wrote: Let's do a trial test run:

[Serious] The Benefits of Creationism

Min, you first! lol

Post #2: You've  seriously benefited from the rich and full fantasy life creationism that has bestowed.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 13, 2018 at 6:22 pm)Mr.Obvious Wrote: I personally don't think I'll be partaking in [serious] threads, tbh.
Much like the "civil" subforum. For exactly the same reasons.
That said. Your house, your rules. And someone making a thread in your house: their sub-house and sub-rules. I'm perfectly fine with them setting their bar for discussion.

I'm free not to talk to them in said threads. Just too bad that it might become a bit less chatty in here.
(Then again, I might be mistaken, it might lead to more and deeper discussion. But I personally doubt it.)

That's the great thing. We can choose not to participate. I may even make a serious thread or two if something comes up and I don't want to deal with in-fighting or off-topic comments. It could be useful for everyone.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big error on my part arewethereyet 13 3347 December 28, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] Future of the Forums (Discussion) Tiberius 130 19997 May 6, 2020 at 9:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 4) Tiberius 27 4808 April 27, 2019 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 1) Tiberius 201 26777 January 11, 2019 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Cod
  Make Atheist Forums Great Again (Part 3) Forum Bot 33 6162 December 31, 2018 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  User Suggestions for Future of Atheist Forums Shell B 47 7270 November 30, 2018 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Atheist Forums Financial Report 2017 Tiberius 12 3214 January 11, 2018 at 5:51 am
Last Post: Sal
  Cards Against Atheist Forums Tiberius 32 15959 September 27, 2017 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheist Forums is now HTTPS only. Tiberius 19 3516 March 15, 2017 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Atheist Forums' 12 Days of Christmas Tiberius 19 4290 December 23, 2016 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady