Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's cooking, good-looking?
What's cooking, good-looking?
Couldn't find a cooking thread.

Feel free to post pictures and recipe's of your culinary victories.
I don't like cooking. Honestly. But I have become rather good at it. And even if I don't like it, or perhaps especially because I don't, I like sharing it; sort of to ease the pain of the effort.

Made lasagna sunday, from near scratch. (Had some pasata, one can of canned tomatoes and pasata and tomato-paste double concentrated, as well as the lasagna-leaves premaid).
Spend a long time cleaning and cutting all of the veggies. 
It was scrumptious, even if I say so myself.

[Image: 52591469_10216214445211408_5953240940486...e=5CEFF045]

We had a enough sauce left, after the two trays, for at least 5 orders of spaghetti.

[Image: 52594447_10216214445491415_7265343175852...e=5CE0EF00]

[Image: 52688635_10216214445411413_6783297654529...e=5D251762]

Contains two types of onions, fresh tomatoes, canned tomatoes, pasata, dubbel-concentrated tomato-paste, fresh garlic, paprika, carrots,  zucchini, cheese, butter, flower, eggplant on top, minced meat, mushrooms, pre-made lasagna-leaves and a good amount of spice.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
RE: What's cooking, good-looking?
I suck at cooking.

If I cant boil it, or stick it in the oven on a timer, I starve.
(February 18, 2019 at 6:47 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I suck at cooking.

Well, you could just boil or oven-heat most things.
Most things wouldn't taste right.
But you could.
(February 18, 2019 at 6:50 pm)Mr.Obvious Wrote:
(February 18, 2019 at 6:47 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I suck at cooking.

Well, you could just boil or oven-heat most things.
But you could.

I love food, but hate prep. 

Trust me, I if I was forced by gunpoint to make a meal from scratch like you just depicted, you'd be putting your life in my hands. I also would make a horrible firefighter or EMT. 

I am capable of boiling water and burning water.
(February 18, 2019 at 6:54 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(February 18, 2019 at 6:50 pm)Mr.Obvious Wrote: Well, you could just boil or oven-heat most things.
But you could.

I love food, but hate prep. 

Trust me, I if I was forced by gunpoint to make a meal from scratch like you just depicted, you'd be putting your life in my hands. I also would make a horrible firefighter or EMT. 

I am capable of boiling water and burning water.

Oh I hear ya. I hate cooking too.

But I had no choice but to learn it, in school. I got by on my grades in theory. My practice, ranged between 45 and 55% Which I think meant it was digestible. And counted for, sadly, 80% of the course. 

But... It did teach me how to cook. And out of the horrible stress of a classroom kitchen, I managed with minimum flashbacks  of those horrid hours. And thus I got better at it. Also helped that my gf loved it when I cook. And I have a sneaking suspicion she loves it even more because she knows I don't like it. 
Practice, thus, made for progress.
You're a better man than I am MO...

(and you're making me hungry!)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I can cook. I lived alone for 5 years after I got out of the Navy. It ain't that hard, though it took me awhile to stop staring at cooking meat, making sure it didn't burn. My mom used to burn the living shit out of meat for fear of trichinosis...even if it was beef or chicken. I don't do anything fancy, just a few spices and call it good. No fauncy lasagna, though. Tongue Even though I'm retired, I have no time for that kind of prep.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Heart 
Amazing Pot Roast, demystified.

Salt and pepper a well-marbeled chuck roast.

Preheat the over to 220F.

SAdd enough olive oil to an enameled dutch oven to liberally coat the bottom. Once it's hot, toss in the roast and sear every side. Don't be shy, you're looking for a deep sear and are creating flavor. You'll need some stout kitchen tongs.

Once the roast is well seared, remove it from the dutch oven and set it aside for later.

Reduce the heat and deglaze the pan, that is, use some kind of liquid to break up the bits of roast (fond) still sticking to the pan. Water works, but stock is better and wine even better. Half a cup is probably enough. Use a silicone spatula to break it free.

Throw in equal amounts of diced yellow onion, chopped carrot and celery. You want enough to cover the bottom of the dutch oven leaving enough room for the roast with the lid on. You're making mirapoix, the holy trinity of French cooking. You just need to sweat the mirapoix, it is not necessary to cook it to tenderness. A few minutes is good.

Return the roast to the pot. Give it a pinch or two of salt while you're at it.

Add beef stock to the dutch oven until the roast is almost covered, but not so much that it could boil over. Don't use water, you cheap fuck. Add some fresh rosemary, thyme, and sage. Whole, chopped, or in a muslin bag, your choice.

Put it in the oven. Once it starts to boil you might want to reduce the heat a bit to keep it at a simmer. It will take at least 6 hours, maybe more. Check it every hour or so, you're looking for fork tender roast. Otherwise, don't fuck with it.

Once it's done and your house smells like meat crack, remove the meat, and strain the liquid. Discard everything you strained out. Reserve the liquid if you want to make gravy or sauce. Serve with potatoes and/or root vegetables.
Old Mother Shannon's Black Pudding

1 quart fresh pig's blood (if you can't find fresh, most gourmet meat shops will carry dried blood, follow the instructions on the packet)

A goodly tablespoon of salt

A cup and a half of pinhead oats (if you use instant oatmeal, I will hunt you down and give you SUCH a smack)

Two cups of pork fat, chopped up into little cubes

A white or yellow onion about the size of your fist, chopped up the same way

Half a tablespoon each of black pepper and allspice

Heat your cooker to 160.  Grease two glass bread pans (don't use metal pans for this). Stir half the salt into the blood and pour it into a sieve.  While it's draining, boil the oats for about 15 minutes. And everything to your bowl of drained blood, mix well, then divide the mixture into the two pans. Bake for about an hour until the pudding barely wobbles.  Let it cool, then turn out.  To serve, cut slices about 1/2 in thick and fry in butter until the edges go a bit crispy.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Cooking is truly an essential life skill. EVERYONE should know how to cook. I've learned to love cooking but I still hate the cleanup! Anything with cheese is a pain in the ass, but oh my god it tastes so good. I think I'm gonna go make a grilled cheese sammich with fresh tomato... Yea I'm basically a professional chef. Tongue
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for free online platform? franzis 6 578 May 13, 2023 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  These are not the droids you' re looking for.... onlinebiker 10 527 August 12, 2022 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Cooking vs Restaurants Spongebob 107 5425 September 19, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Road trip playlist - looking for suggestions Jackalope 20 1239 August 11, 2021 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Tunnel Vision, looking for the real life location. Brian37 6 511 June 9, 2021 at 12:40 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Cooking Tips BrianSoddingBoru4 64 2828 November 13, 2019 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  These are the 50 best-looking nationalities, according to a new survey WinterHold 20 2058 July 6, 2019 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Looking into femine hygiene; do you . . . vorlon13 89 14708 October 31, 2018 at 11:38 am
Last Post: SaStrike
  Any photographers in Louisiana looking for work? popeyespappy 0 525 September 21, 2018 at 8:04 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Looking for a specific comic posted at AF Angrboda 2 398 May 24, 2018 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Angrboda