Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why some people who dislike horror call it stupid?
RE: Why some people who dislike horror call it stupid?
As the CPAs say, "there's no accounting for taste."
(February 28, 2019 at 10:49 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: So much of the horror genre  is overt sadism.

Yes but some are social commentary. the Purge films are starting to look like future republican policy.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(March 3, 2019 at 9:01 am)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(February 28, 2019 at 10:49 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: So much of the horror genre  is overt sadism.

Yes but some are social commentary. the Purge films are starting to look like future republican policy.

And still gleeful, bloody murder.
(March 3, 2019 at 9:01 am)downbeatplumb Wrote:

Are you sure that the purge is intended to represent republican policy? Who has been giving themselves license to go around punching people in the face?
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
I've never really cared for the horror genre. It's just not my thing. That goes double for films that use gore and scenes intended to simply make your skin crawl. I know such things appeal to some people, I'm just not one of them. If it's just suspense, I'm cool, but unfortunately the former complaints about gore and such seem to apply to a large portion of so-called horror films, and I'm just not interested in that.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(March 3, 2019 at 9:56 am)Yonadav Wrote:
(March 3, 2019 at 9:01 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Yes but some are social commentary. the Purge films are starting to look like future republican policy.

Are you sure that the purge is intended to represent republican policy? Who has been giving themselves license to go around punching people in the face?

The Republicans.
I think the horror genre of movies resort too often to cheap tricks, such as jump scares or predictable twists in the plot. Particularly jump scares, like flashing some image for a split second with a loud noise, just to get a reaction out of people. How about genuine fear, instead of just a short, cheap, startles.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
(March 3, 2019 at 11:04 am)Sal Wrote: Particularly jump scares, like flashing some image for a split second with a loud noise, just to get a reaction out of people.
Yes. I admit to falling for jump scares, but I think it's more of an instinctual reaction than genuine fear. It's so over used though, it's more eye rolling than anything else.
What makes it even more sad is that some people know how to actually use sound effectively. For me, the gurgling, cracking sound from the Grunge ghost was pretty good. And the "screaming bear" from Annihilation was one of the most disturbing things I've heard in a movie in awhile.

I don't want sound to make me jump. I want it to get under my skin and make me uncomfortable and nervous.
(March 3, 2019 at 9:56 am)Yonadav Wrote:
(March 3, 2019 at 9:01 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Yes but some are social commentary. the Purge films are starting to look like future republican policy.

Trump made excuses for the killing of anti-fascist demonstrators, "fine people on both sides", as for the giving license to punch people in the face I don't know what you are talking about, but I can point to republicans who amass weapons for murdering democrats and send bombs through the post.

So theres that.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Also, this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/25/us/jo...ss&emc=rss

Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Why are transgender people more likely to commit suicide? onlinebiker 96 5028 March 25, 2024 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Driving While Innocent. STUPID ROUND PLANET! Brian37 40 2767 February 8, 2020 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why are some people afraid to be judged by society regarding only some things? Der/die AtheistIn 8 915 January 26, 2019 at 10:22 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Fuck this stupid fucking country Aroura 19 1485 August 10, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Aroura