Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Elevator
Home Elevator
Those of you who know me from many posts involving personal health issues probably recall that I’ve increasingly suffered from arthritis to the point in which I can no longer wear leather shoes. My ankles are now so deformed that I can wear only canvas deck shoes. Last fall I had to give up my job at the local Transfer Station because I can no longer work in cold or damp conditions.

Now I’m having problems negotiating stairways. I find it increasingly difficult bringing my groceries into the house, which is a split-level building with a walk-in cellar. Whether I enter through the back door or cellar, I have to carry bags and parcels up a flight of stairs, and only one bag at a time. I’m also finding it increasingly difficult to carry a basket of laundry down to the basement and back upstairs.

Quite recently, I began looking into home elevators online. The most practical model I’ve found, thus far, is manufactured by the Hoyt Elevator Company. I’m looking for advice or recommendations from any members here who have any experiences similar to mine.

https://www.hoytresidentialelevators.com/products.php
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
RE: Home Elevator
I'm sorry to hear of your issues. Is moving to a ranch home an option? What about just hiring a wall guy to install a dumbwaiter? They can be a few thousand to buy and have installed, but if your layout is right you can maybe hire a local handyman to a DIY version for a few hundred https://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/diy-dumbwaiter/
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(March 5, 2019 at 10:29 am)tackattack Wrote: I'm sorry to hear of your issues. Is moving to a ranch home an option? What about just hiring a wall guy to install a dumbwaiter? They can be a few thousand to buy and have installed, but if your layout is right you can maybe hire a local handyman to a DIY version for a few hundred https://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/diy-dumbwaiter/

I'm presently living in a rural area with a magnificent, mountainside view of a charming valley. I bought this home in 1976 because of the private setting and woodland acreage. Moving to another home would be too expensive and tedious, especially at my age. A home elevator is the cheaper option.

I've looked into dumbwaiters, but that doesn't address the problems I'm having negotiating stairways.

Thank you for your attention and support. Salute
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
I've only known a few houses with elevators in them, so I'm not one to speak if you really want that. Would a $300 dumbwaiter for "stuff" and a stair lift be feasible? I have seen a few homes with stair lifts. From my limited knowledge of the 2 the elevator was less used, respectively, than the lift. It's all probably out of my scope of research though, as I'm just getting into to it for my parents.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
There are also sit down chairs that move you upstairs. Not sure what those are called.
@Gwaithmir

So sorry to learn of your problems with arthritis. I empathise; I need a new pair of knees. Not quite bad enough yet, but It won't be a lot longer. I can still walk, but need a cane.

Rural US? Then I suspect your options are limited. The home elevator seem the most practical. You say 'split level', me too. I have only three steps dividing top and bottom. How many do you have? Would an elevator chair be practical?

I'm so sorry I am unable to suggest anything of practical help for you.

Is the lift you're thinking of the kind shown via the link below?

https://www.ameriglide.com/
Sure, if you can afford it and don't want to move somewhere where it is already accommodated for people with difficulties in movement then do it.

I was watching recently a documentary about Itzhak Perlman and he has an elevator in his home because of similar reasons.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(March 5, 2019 at 10:54 am)tackattack Wrote: I've only known a few houses with elevators in them, so I'm not one to speak if you really want that. Would a $300 dumbwaiter for "stuff" and a stair lift be feasible? I have seen a few homes with stair lifts. From my limited knowledge of the 2 the elevator was less used, respectively, than the lift. It's all probably out of my scope of research though, as I'm just getting into to it for my parents.

There's no convenient spot to install a dumb waiter because of my house's layout. Also, my cellar stairs are not against a wall, so I don't think a stair lift could be installed. I forgot to mention this, but I also have another set of stairs going up to my library. The elevator I've chosen can accommodate three floors (and up to five if I had a bigger house).
I'd go with a whole-house anti-gravity system. Unobtainium is very reasonable these days.
(March 5, 2019 at 8:11 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I'd go with a whole-house anti-gravity system. Unobtainium is very reasonable these days.

Good one! Naughty

How about Cavorite?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you see yourself in a nursing home some day? Foxaèr 20 507 March 11, 2024 at 10:42 am
Last Post: brewer
  So I banned myself from my home/regular/old forum Duty 5 742 December 24, 2019 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama