Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Elevator
RE: Home Elevator
(March 5, 2019 at 8:16 pm)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(March 5, 2019 at 8:11 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I'd go with a whole-house anti-gravity system. Unobtainium is very reasonable these days.

Good one! Naughty

How about Cavorite?

Or that stuff Buster Crabbe used?
(March 5, 2019 at 8:06 pm)Gwaithmir Wrote: Also, my cellar stairs are not against a wall, so I don't think a stair lift could be installed.

You may be right but you should probably get a professional assessment before disregarding that option. Stair lifts are designed with private residences in mind while elevators are more a thing for commercial buildings.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I recently learned that the basic price for the model elevator I've chosen is $12,000 plus whatever it will cost to modify the existing stairways where the unit will be installed. I'm having a tech rep look over my house in early April to give me an estimate.
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(March 6, 2019 at 12:41 am)AFTT47 Wrote:
(March 5, 2019 at 8:06 pm)Gwaithmir Wrote: Also, my cellar stairs are not against a wall, so I don't think a stair lift could be installed.

You may be right but you should probably get a professional assessment before disregarding that option. Stair lifts are designed with private residences in mind while elevators are more a thing for commercial buildings.

If the stairs are built to code it should be no problem. If both sides are accessible reinforcing the whole structure would be easier.

Have you considered replacing the stairs with an vertical lift? The business end of a forklift would work. (Don't ask me how I know that, and don't ask where that missing forklift went, m'kay? Kitty Dance )
(March 7, 2019 at 10:05 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(March 6, 2019 at 12:41 am)AFTT47 Wrote: You may be right but you should probably get a professional assessment before disregarding that option. Stair lifts are designed with private residences in mind while elevators are more a thing for commercial buildings.

If the stairs are built to code it should be no problem. If both sides are accessible reinforcing the whole structure would be easier.

Have you considered replacing the stairs with an vertical lift? The business end of a forklift would  work. (Don't ask me how I know that, and don't ask where that missing forklift went, m'kay?  Kitty Dance )

Hoyt home elevators are chain driven and lift all four corners of the cab for greater stability. This design is a bit more expensive but, from a mechanical engineering viewpoint, I have more confidence in it.
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
What could possibly go wrong?

[Image: v2tvvo1h4ckz.jpg]
A tech rep from United Elevator Co. stopped by here last Wednesday to measure my stairways for the possible installment of a Hoyt Elevator. Unfortunately, the stairwell is slightly too narrow and modifying it to fit the elevator shaft would involve major architectural changes costing well over $30,000. I rejected this idea outright. Luckily, there was no charge for the visit.

I still have two options. I can opt for a pneumatic elevator which has a narrower, tubular shaft. I can also modify the cellar stairway so as to make it easier to negotiate and install a 3-story dumb waiter. My carpenter will be visiting next week to advise me on the next plan. Read
(March 30, 2019 at 8:21 pm)Gwaithmir Wrote: A tech rep from United Elevator Co. stopped by here last Wednesday to measure my stairways for the possible installment of a Hoyt Elevator. Unfortunately, the stairwell is slightly too narrow and modifying it to fit the elevator shaft would involve major architectural changes costing well over $30,000. I rejected this idea outright. Luckily, there was no charge for the visit.

I still have two options. I can opt for a pneumatic elevator which has a narrower, tubular shaft. I can also modify the cellar stairway so as to make it easier to negotiate and install a 3-story dumb waiter. My carpenter will be visiting next week to advise me on the next plan. Read

I saw an add for the tubular. Can it go the number of stories that you would like? The add was for a single story.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 30, 2019 at 8:32 pm)wyzas Wrote:
(March 30, 2019 at 8:21 pm)Gwaithmir Wrote: A tech rep from United Elevator Co. stopped by here last Wednesday to measure my stairways for the possible installment of a Hoyt Elevator. Unfortunately, the stairwell is slightly too narrow and modifying it to fit the elevator shaft would involve major architectural changes costing well over $30,000. I rejected this idea outright. Luckily, there was no charge for the visit.

I saw an add for the tubular. Can it go the number of stories that you would like? The add was for a single story.

The model I'm looking at can go up to five floors. I need three, from the cellar to the attic. Great
My carpenter was here today and took measurements of the stairwell. It appears that the pneumatic elevator that was my second choice can be installed with some modification of the stairwell. The stairs will be removed and some alterations of a few beams and joists will be needed. Hopefully, I can get some quotes by next week. Great

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you see yourself in a nursing home some day? Foxaèr 20 507 March 11, 2024 at 10:42 am
Last Post: brewer
  So I banned myself from my home/regular/old forum Duty 5 742 December 24, 2019 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama