Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 12:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Elevator
RE: Home Elevator
So how does this build pressure with you in it?

Your ears going to pop?
(October 23, 2019 at 11:02 am)onlinebiker Wrote: So how does this build pressure with you in it?

Your ears going to pop?

The pressure (vacuum) is only in the tube above the elevator cab. The air pressure inside the cab and in the tube below it remains normal.  Naughty
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
Is that the fail safe method? Air is inlet below the compartment as it rises, but bleeds off slowly for descent?
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(October 23, 2019 at 1:47 pm)Fireball Wrote: Is that the fail safe method? Air is inlet below the compartment as it rises, but bleeds off slowly for descent?

Check valves should be installed.
(October 23, 2019 at 11:13 am)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(October 23, 2019 at 11:02 am)onlinebiker Wrote: So how does this build pressure with you in it?

Your ears going to pop?

The pressure (vacuum) is only in the tube above the elevator cab. The air pressure inside the cab and in the tube below it remains normal.  Naughty

So you're shaft is being sucked, not blown. 

Will it be getting a girls name?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 23, 2019 at 4:22 pm)brewer Wrote:
(October 23, 2019 at 11:13 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: The pressure (vacuum) is only in the tube above the elevator cab. The air pressure inside the cab and in the tube below it remains normal.  Naughty

So you're shaft is being sucked, not blown. 

Will it be getting a girls name?

FRANKENFURTER!
(October 23, 2019 at 1:47 pm)Fireball Wrote: Is that the fail safe method? Air is inlet below the compartment as it rises, but bleeds off slowly for descent?

Exactly. Turbines atop the elevator tube create a vacuum to draw the cab upward. A regulator valve then allows air back in to allow the cab to descend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ullKA0eUoo
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
@Gwaithmir -- this strikes me as a potential solution for our home if / when it becomes too hard for us to negotiate the stairs. We could put a shaft from the dining room to my office very easily.

How large is the vacuum pump mechanism package, roughly? I assume it's at the top of the shaft, so I'd like some idea if we'd have to go through the ceiling upstairs to the attic to accommodate that.
(October 25, 2019 at 10:59 am)mordant Wrote: @Gwaithmir -- this strikes me as a potential solution for our home if / when it becomes too hard for us to negotiate the stairs. We could put a shaft from the dining room to my office very easily.

How large is the vacuum pump mechanism package, roughly? I assume it's at the top of the shaft, so I'd like some idea if we'd have to go through the ceiling upstairs to the attic to accommodate that.

You will need at least 6' of clearance in the attic.

Check out conventional elevators and lifts first. They're about a third less expensive than pneumatic models.
The elevator is finally here. The parts were delivered this morning. Installation will begin tomorrow.  Thumb up

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you see yourself in a nursing home some day? Foxaèr 20 598 March 11, 2024 at 10:42 am
Last Post: brewer
  So I banned myself from my home/regular/old forum Duty 5 751 December 24, 2019 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama