Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Elevator
RE: Home Elevator
(October 4, 2020 at 12:23 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I just worry that I come from a line of people known for living into their late 80's. The thought scares me.  Lalala

I don't expect to live past 80 or 81. That appears to be the cutoff date for the males in my family line.
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(October 7, 2020 at 9:56 am)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(October 4, 2020 at 12:23 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I just worry that I come from a line of people known for living into their late 80's. The thought scares me.  Lalala

I don't expect to live past 80 or 81. That appears to be the cutoff date for the males in my family line.

One of my grandfathers lived to 86. The other died of lead poisoning in his 20s. (Had way too many aces in a poker game.)
My dad is 90.years old.

I just saw him.taking off on the tractor hauling a trailer. Chainsaws in back.

Going out to torture a tree - errrr - to cut firewood...
All the males who smoked, on both sides of my family, punched out at 58 or younger, including one younger brother. That also includes both grandfathers, so I never knew them. The females on my father's make it into their 80s, generally. Non smokers. On my mother's side, they generally live into their 90s. One uncle who quit smoking in his 30s is now in his 90s. I might make it that far, since I "never" smoked- 2nd hand smoke growing up and in the Navy. But the Navy is 44 years away in time.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I quit cold turkey back in '88. I would have been dead by now otherwise.
(October 7, 2020 at 10:54 am)onlinebiker Wrote: My dad is 90.years old.

I just saw him.taking off on the tractor hauling a trailer. Chainsaws in back.

Going out to torture a tree - errrr - to cut firewood...

I envy him. I heated my house with firewood that I harvested from my own land until six years ago. I had to give it up on account of my high blood pressure and advanced arthritis.
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
A technician arrived this morning to perform semi-annual maintenance/safety inspection on my home elevator. We wore masks on account of this virus business. The unit has been operating perfectly, so far.
Every time I see this thread title I think about the great flood of '08. Meramec River century flood. We were on two hour evac in case there was a heavy dew. The railroad embankment saved us from having to full bunny, but I sat on the deck and watched houses go by.

The thing was, after the flood people jacked their houses up one story. Concrete block "basement" with garage and laundry room and maybe a game room. I was sitting on the deck one day in '09 when I noticed a house a few blocks away was ... rising. I made a note to get as much of that shit as I could get hold of. Then I found it it was a bunch of house jacks.
One of the concerns I had when my elevator was installed was that the house might lose a lot of heat up the shaft during winter. I went up to the attic yesterday and immediately noticed that the vestibule was cold. I've been monitoring the furnace's oil use over the past few weeks and haven't noticed any significant change over last year's oil consumption during this period. More on this later.
(November 16, 2020 at 10:01 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: One of the concerns I had when my elevator was installed was that the house might lose a lot of heat up the shaft during winter. I went up to the attic yesterday and immediately noticed that the vestibule was cold. I've been monitoring the furnace's oil use over the past few weeks and haven't noticed any significant change over last year's oil consumption during this period. More on this later.

Expect heat going up the shaft?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you see yourself in a nursing home some day? Foxaèr 20 507 March 11, 2024 at 10:42 am
Last Post: brewer
  So I banned myself from my home/regular/old forum Duty 5 742 December 24, 2019 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama