Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Elevator
RE: Home Elevator
(November 16, 2020 at 12:52 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(November 16, 2020 at 10:01 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: One of the concerns I had when my elevator was installed was that the house might lose a lot of heat up the shaft during winter. I went up to the attic yesterday and immediately noticed that the vestibule was cold. I've been monitoring the furnace's oil use over the past few weeks and haven't noticed any significant change over last year's oil consumption during this period. More on this later.

Expect heat going up the shaft?

Not much apparently, which is why the vestibule is cold. The vestibule is the room at the top of the shaft from which I have access to the attic and library.
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
My kitty has finally overcome her fear of the elevator and rode it last night when I called to her.  Great
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
She let you use her elevator?
(March 5, 2019 at 10:04 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: Now I’m having problems negotiating stairways. I find it increasingly difficult bringing my groceries into the house, which is a split-level building with a walk-in cellar. Whether I enter through the back door or cellar, I have to carry bags and parcels up a flight of stairs, and only one bag at a time. I’m also finding it increasingly difficult to carry a basket of laundry down to the basement and back upstairs.

https://www.hoytresidentialelevators.com/products.php

All the best and God bless you. Exercise your limbs and over time things will get better. Prayer will be a good support system for you.
(December 21, 2020 at 1:46 pm)Prycejosh1987 Wrote:
(March 5, 2019 at 10:04 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: Now I’m having problems negotiating stairways. I find it increasingly difficult bringing my groceries into the house, which is a split-level building with a walk-in cellar. Whether I enter through the back door or cellar, I have to carry bags and parcels up a flight of stairs, and only one bag at a time. I’m also finding it increasingly difficult to carry a basket of laundry down to the basement and back upstairs.

https://www.hoytresidentialelevators.com/products.php

All the best and God bless you. Exercise your limbs and over time things will get better. Prayer will be a good support system for you.

If prayer ever did anything for me I wouldn't be an atheist now.
I'm presently having my furnace serviced. My oilman has two new helpers. He apparently didn't tell them about my home elevator. They were both flabbergasted when I went down to the cellar to check on what they were doing. Neither of them had ever seen a pneumatic elevator before.  Naughty
(January 7, 2021 at 5:32 pm)Gwaithmir Wrote: I'm presently having my furnace serviced. My oilman has two new helpers. He apparently didn't tell them about my home elevator. They were both flabbergasted when I went down to the cellar to check on what they were doing. Neither of them had ever seen a pneumatic elevator before.  Naughty

Bro - you really gotta get a Star Trek TOS uniform to wear when you check on people like that......

They'd have a story to tell their grandkids....

Wink
Is this elevator sort of like that tube you send your deposit in at the bank drive thru?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Yup - the captain checking in on Engineering. We canna give ya more efficient heating capt'n. Ya can't defy the laws of physics.
At work.

(January 7, 2021 at 5:32 pm)Gwaithmir Wrote: I'm presently having my furnace serviced. My oilman has two new helpers. He apparently didn't tell them about my home elevator. They were both flabbergasted when I went down to the cellar to check on what they were doing. Neither of them had ever seen a pneumatic elevator before.  Naughty

Ah! An elevator powered by pistons instead of cables.

Now that does take me back.

Last century. In another life and different job. I were a wee lad/apprentice window fixer.

We had a job called for glass paneling in a ritzy jewelry place in one of the older buildings in the city being renovated.

Place could only be accessed by a phone booth sized cage raised and lowered by big, shiny brass looking 'rams' lifting said 'Cage' up.and down.

Quite the experience even at the time. Though my 'Tradey' and m'self were b!tching the whole day about just how many trips it took to get the whole load of glass up in that tiny box.

Some good times.

All the best and be well. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you see yourself in a nursing home some day? Foxaèr 20 507 March 11, 2024 at 10:42 am
Last Post: brewer
  So I banned myself from my home/regular/old forum Duty 5 741 December 24, 2019 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama