Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me understand why the quotes are as they are?
Help me understand why the quotes are as they are?
Because I don't see this anywhere else I go and it's a total PITA.
RE: Help me understand why the quotes are as they are?
(March 8, 2019 at 1:47 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Because I don't see this anywhere else I go and it's a total PITA.

Can you be more specific?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
As far as I can tell the quotes are the same as any other forum I’ve ever visited. What’s the difference?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
If you quote two posts they get mushed together. If someone quotes that post it only gets worse. As I said, I've never seen this on any other forum.
I feel I must stand along side Gawdzilla Sama.

There's soemthing.. counter intuitive about the quote function on this site.

On 'The old' site... one could simply copy paste and make triple sure you'd put the [/quote] things around the right bits.

On this site? Quote people... other than an immediate reply to one previous post? Seems harder.

Or... I'm getting so much older that the world is making less sense all the time. Blush

I'd maybe lean more otwards number two... acually.....
Well, I got an answer, I think. Plan 9 is now in effect.
I don't care for the way that AF concatenates posts, either, but my understanding was that it is done to prevent spammers (or idiots or trolls) from using multiple separate posts in a row to disrupt things, kill thread discussions, and make a mess which takes a long time for staff to clean up. Or that's the reason I recall hearing. Maybe a staff member can explain more fully. I don't see that happening at the other forum I frequent, but then that forum is a considerably smaller target and seems less afflicted with spammers and trolls in general.

For reasons having to do with administration of the forum, staff are immune to this feature. "Bloody favorites!"
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(March 9, 2019 at 1:35 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I don't care for the way that AF concatenates posts, either, but my understanding was that it is done to prevent spammers (or idiots or trolls) from using multiple separate posts in a row to disrupt things, kill thread discussions, and make a mess which takes a long time for staff to clean up.  Or that's the reason I recall hearing.  Maybe a staff member can explain more fully.  I don't see that happening at the other forum I frequent, but then that forum is a considerably smaller target and seems less afflicted with spammers and trolls in general.

For reasons having to do with administration of the forum, staff are immune to this feature.  "Bloody favorites!"

If we add enough staff, maybe the herd immunity will kick in.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 9, 2019 at 1:35 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I don't care for the way that AF concatenates posts, either, but my understanding was that it is done to prevent spammers (or idiots or trolls) from using multiple separate posts in a row to disrupt things, kill thread discussions, and make a mess which takes a long time for staff to clean up.  Or that's the reason I recall hearing.  Maybe a staff member can explain more fully.  I don't see that happening at the other forum I frequent, but then that forum is a considerably smaller target and seems less afflicted with spammers and trolls in general.

For reasons having to do with administration of the forum, staff are immune to this feature.  "Bloody favorites!"

I don't see that as a problem anywhere else.

And staff have opted out of explanations.
Hi Gawd,

What Jorg says is pretty much it; concatonating has been par the course here for as long as I’ve been a member, and for the reason stated.

FWIW we continually discuss various features of the forum of which this comes up (fairly regularly), however I don’t think we’ll be changing anything on this at the moment.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quotes Rogue 10 2086 April 5, 2019 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Losty
  Separating Quotes Cherub786 16 2265 December 4, 2018 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  How do I delete saved quotes? Succubus 9 1945 August 15, 2017 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Quotes LadyForCamus 5 1424 December 30, 2015 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Suggestion] Hide tags or trim long quotes Aoi Magi 4 1879 July 6, 2015 at 11:02 am
Last Post: Exian
  Partial quotes Diablo 20 4845 August 1, 2014 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Auto-Hide Big Quotes The_Flying_Skeptic 3 1859 April 22, 2010 at 4:19 am
Last Post: leo-rcc
  Quotes Darwinian 17 6785 June 5, 2009 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet