Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 11:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone into combat sports?
RE: Anyone into combat sports?
(March 11, 2019 at 9:27 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Combat sports?

Is that when you sneak up on your neighbours on a moonless night with a knife?

Lol!
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
I did Shotokan Karate before I went into the army. Only obtained a few colour belts. You're considered on your way to being skilled skilled from sho dan (first degree black belt).

In the army they once made me put on boxing gloves. Since kicking him in the head was out of the question, I was very quickly KO.Wasn't required to box after that.

Did a bit of Judo in the army. A couple of colour belts, awarded in competition.

My fighting style quickly developed into that suggested by Jigaro Kano, founder of Kodokan Judo:

Reporter "Sensei, what did you do when confronted before you learned Judo?"

Kano " I would run away"

Reporter " What do you do now?"

Kano . " Ah. Now I run away CONFIDENTLY!"
I only ever watch the UFC, after watching the UFC I can't handle watching any other combat sports really.  I hate the continual stopping and separating of the fighters in things like boxing and kickboxing. In comparison to other MMA organizations in the UFC they seem to give wrestlers and grapplers more of a chance by letting them roll with each other and not standing them up all the time, even when the stupid audience is booing for them to be stood up.

I watch old fights nearly everyday on the UFC fight pass, I watch most weight classes and I like watching the womens fights too.  For some reason I never found the mens flyweight division interesting, just my preference.

I'm 34 and I have creaking and cracking joints so I do work extremely hard in certain areas like low impact cardio, cycling, the cross trainer, the step up machine. I do some weights.  Ontop of this my diet is very good and my body fat level is quite low and getting lower, my diet just needs some slight ironing out. My food choices are amazing but I think I need to reduce portion sizes just slightly.  I've been trying out the latest fad of intermittent fasting too.  I watch the Joe Rogan podcast and I'm guilty of trying out a lot of stuff he talks about, I use CBD oil and I don't know if it's a placebo effect by I think my joints ache less.  I didn't feel any difference when taking fish oil. 

I don't do anything high impact like martial arts, I don't even run much because it fucks up my heels and ankles. In relation to Jui Jitsu I don't want my neck or back to get fucked up.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Been doing different styles of martial arts from ages 17 - 34. Japanese MMA, Boxing, Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai, and Krav Maga. Now i use martial arts as a means for fitness. Never cared to compete. Hard sparring and grappling is as far as i wanted to go with it. I use to watch a lot of combat sports. Now i don't really care to watch it as much. I may look at the results to see who wins if there is a big fight.
(March 14, 2019 at 3:36 pm)paulpablo Wrote: I only ever watch the UFC, after watching the UFC I can't handle watching any other combat sports really.  I hate the continual stopping and separating of the fighters in things like boxing and kickboxing. In comparison to other MMA organizations in the UFC they seem to give wrestlers and grapplers more of a chance by letting them roll with each other and not standing them up all the time, even when the stupid audience is booing for them to be stood up.

I watch old fights nearly everyday on the UFC fight pass, I watch most weight classes and I like watching the womens fights too.  For some reason I never found the mens flyweight division interesting, just my preference.

I'm 34 and I have creaking and cracking joints so I do work extremely hard in certain areas like low impact cardio, cycling, the cross trainer, the step up machine. I do some weights.  Ontop of this my diet is very good and my body fat level is quite low and getting lower, my diet just needs some slight ironing out. My food choices are amazing but I think I need to reduce portion sizes just slightly.  I've been trying out the latest fad of intermittent fasting too.  I watch the Joe Rogan podcast and I'm guilty of trying out a lot of stuff he talks about, I use CBD oil and I don't know if it's a placebo effect by I think my joints ache less.  I didn't feel any difference when taking fish oil. 

I don't do anything high impact like martial arts, I don't even run much because it fucks up my heels and ankles.  In relation to Jui Jitsu I don't want my neck or back to get fucked up.

Honestly, MMA is a superior combat system to anything else that has been developed, with boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, BJJ and Muay Thai being the main parts of that system. This is why the UFC has essentially killed boxing, and rightfully so. Boxing, for example is a beautiful art-form that will always be one of the great combat sports. But put a boxer in a fight out in the real world with a guy who is not only trained in boxing but also wrestling and that boxer will have his ass handed to him, nine times out of ten.

Many martial arts have a beautiful aesthetic to them but are not nearly as effective as the real deal. A lot of kung-fu and karate is mostly nonsense with some good movements and techniques sprinkled in.

The whole energy kung-fu stuff is especially hilarious. Where "masters" claim they can use their "chi" or energy, to defeat opponents without touching them.

One of these so-called masters gets his ass handed to him in an actual fight... watch the video here....

If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Of comedy and sports. A HELP ME thread. Brian37 9 1199 October 15, 2021 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Abusive sports fans. 0P Brian37 20 1748 June 7, 2021 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Sports, football vs figure skating...... Brian37 11 966 January 16, 2021 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Ok sports fans, no matter the sport........ Brian37 7 520 December 12, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The myth of the draft in pro sports. Brian37 3 527 December 29, 2019 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Should college sports players be paid? Brian37 13 2344 October 2, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Marginalized sports viocjit 49 5320 August 1, 2019 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Will be walking the sports plank soon. Brian37 4 1045 February 4, 2019 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  Where sports/politics and religion meet. Brian37 0 476 January 28, 2019 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Funny sports announcer line I just heard. Brian37 4 768 November 8, 2018 at 11:32 am
Last Post: WHEELZ