Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 12:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sectarianism in atheism
RE: sectarianism in atheism
No. It’s a matter of definition, mostly. Some people use it to mean lacking belief (not being convinced yet) that gods exists; some people prefer belief in the non-existence of gods. The second is a subgroup of the first, so it splits atheists up in that regard as to how strong their position is, but I’d hardly call those sects.

Of course atheists will have their own further beliefs about everything, which will subdivide them into whatever groups you want to talk about, but those are nothing to do with atheism itself.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 5, 2019 at 3:18 pm)fademm Wrote: Is atheism just as sectarian as some religions? There seems to be a few different camps out there from people who believe a more "pure" atheism, who do not believe in any "spirituality" to others who are "spiritual but not religious". 

Are there different sects within atheism and do some people believe their version of atheism to be "true" while another version of atheism is "false"? Is there an attitude or principle that would help avoid the formation of sectarianism?

People don't believe in gods for many different reasons, all of them valid. I would not call the differences sects. 

The people wanting to lump us into groups are mainly theists.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I am an atheist because I don't believe in gods. I am an agnostic because I can not prove gods don't exist. I am an antitheist when theists get too pushy. I am sn apatheist when I am not thinking about this bullshit.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

When one group of atheists starts bombing another group of atheists for heresy, I'll start worrying about sectarianism in atheism.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
can atheists go into certain aspects of religion and disagree and fight, although they do not recognize its existence in the first place or the existence of its creator ?!
you mean like "my non god is better than your non god" Dunno

not really.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 10, 2020 at 10:02 pm)masoni Wrote: can atheists go into certain aspects of religion and disagree and fight, although they do not recognize its existence in the first place or the existence of its creator ?!

Hello!

Well, I'd phrase it a tad differently.

Can two people discuss the character of Darth Vader or High Chancellor Gowron? Yes, indeed they can. They can debate the validy of both character's actions within their respective worlds. Thier merrits and flaws etc.

Even while neither character is actually 'Real'.

Now... actually saying a diety is not real? That's kind of a different thing.

Cheers.

Not at work.
Why are year old posts getting reanimated?

Next thing we'll have an insane dr shouting "It's ALIVE!" while a hunchback swings from the ceiling.

We only allow that at Easter.
Dying to live, living to die.
A strange kind of trolling, I guess.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(July 10, 2020 at 10:02 pm)masoni Wrote: can atheists go into certain aspects of religion and disagree and fight, although they do not recognize its existence in the first place or the existence of its creator ?!

Yes. A lot of my conversations here have been like this.

Generally what happens is that someone will make a statement about religion that seems too simple or too narrow. Something like "Christianity requires you to believe in talking snakes." So I'll respond by pointing out all the Christians who don't believe in talking snakes, how spiritual literature isn't meant to convey meaning the same way that journalism does, etc. 

"Religion" is a huge diverse category and no statement can be true about every part of it. 

So it's very possible for atheists to disagree over some religious point.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 26872 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12379 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 11971 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10393 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 11961 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 37889 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack