Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game of Thrones final season [spoilers]
RE: Game of Thrones final season [spoilers]
(May 15, 2019 at 10:28 pm)Shell B Wrote:
(May 15, 2019 at 9:49 pm)EgoDeath Wrote: Oh, I'm sorry. I missed the part where I said mass appeal = bad. Please show me where I said that? I'll wait.

It seemed to be your argument to me. You said you didn't like it, and the only criticism you gave was that it was made for mass audiences and how. Show me where you said otherwise.

Still waiting.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
(May 15, 2019 at 11:23 pm)Amarok Wrote:
(May 15, 2019 at 11:12 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Who is 'they'?

Black groups were hugely popular with white youth.  

Why was Hendrix a supposed threat?

The counterculture embraced Jimi.  Have you ever watched Woodstock?
1. As I explained a segment of white(often conservative ) America viewed him as subversive 

2. Again though none of them were Hendrix or as radical as Hendrix 

3. Because his lyrics and sound  freaked them out the same other styles freaked people out like Kiss did  during their time or Marilyn Manson not to long ago .

4 . Yes I know the counter culture did that my point he was perceived as a threat to status que  as were a lot of things during the 60s
So, 'they' sent in Elvis to save the day?  The man they wouldn't televise from the waist down because his movements were too provocative.  

Doesn't make a lot of sense.

'They' should have called on Pat Boone.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 16, 2019 at 7:15 am)arewethereyet Wrote:
(May 15, 2019 at 11:23 pm)Amarok Wrote: 1. As I explained a segment of white(often conservative ) America viewed him as subversive 

2. Again though none of them were Hendrix or as radical as Hendrix 

3. Because his lyrics and sound  freaked them out the same other styles freaked people out like Kiss did  during their time or Marilyn Manson not to long ago .

4 . Yes I know the counter culture did that my point he was perceived as a threat to status que  as were a lot of things during the 60s
So, 'they' sent in Elvis to save the day?  The man they wouldn't televise from the waist down because his movements were too provocative.  

By comparison I suppose they thought he was he lesser of two imagined evils . But your right it was a bad plan as most plans based on fear are .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(May 16, 2019 at 7:15 am)arewethereyet Wrote: So, 'they' sent in Elvis to save the day?  The man they wouldn't televise from the waist down because his movements were too provocative.  

Yeah, I think that's the story Amarok is confused about - Pat Boone  in the 50's being promoted as the "clean" alternative to black rhythm'n'blues artists, like Little Richard and Fats Domino, as well as sexually explicit Elvis "The Pelvis" Presley - who was also a white guy playing black people's music for white kids. Not sure how Hendrix got mixed up in there...  Huh

ETA: Nice, pointless derail, by the way. Wink
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(May 16, 2019 at 7:46 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote:
(May 16, 2019 at 7:15 am)arewethereyet Wrote: So, 'they' sent in Elvis to save the day?  The man they wouldn't televise from the waist down because his movements were too provocative.  

Yeah, I think that's the story Amarok is confused about - Pat Boone  in the 50's being promoted as the "clean" alternative to black rhythm'n'blues artists, like Little Richard and Fats Domino, as well as sexually explicit Elvis "The Pelvis" Presley - who was also a white guy playing black people's music for white kids. Not sure how Hendrix got mixed up in there...  Huh
Once again it wasn't a smart plan. Then again neither was telling kids to hid under a school desk during a nuclear attack . But they did it .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(May 16, 2019 at 7:49 am)Amarok Wrote: Once again it wasn't a smart plan. Then again neither was telling kids to hid under a school desk during a nuclear attack . But they did it .

FFS... Rolleyes

What "plan"? Who's "they"?
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(May 16, 2019 at 7:55 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote:
(May 16, 2019 at 7:49 am)Amarok Wrote: Once again it wasn't a smart plan. Then again neither was telling kids to hid under a school desk during a nuclear attack . But they did it .

FFS... Rolleyes

What "plan"? Who's "they"?
I alreay stated that earlier i'm not repeating it a third time

Inuit Proverb

(May 16, 2019 at 8:00 am)Amarok Wrote: I alreay stated that earlier i'm not repeating it a third time

Yeah, I read what you stated - it's confused nonsense. Nobody "pushed" Elvis as an alternative to Hendrix. You got your 50's and your 60's black guys mixed up, but you keep on arguing for pages, because you always have to have the last word and you don't feel the need to provide a citation, but instead you angrily repeat the same points, over and over.
(May 15, 2019 at 10:32 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: You are just arguing for the sake of arguing now.

Aaaaaaand you've figured out his whole contribution to this thread. Wink

(May 16, 2019 at 7:46 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote: ETA: Nice, pointless derail, by the way. Wink

[Image: 47810639282_3ae539918b_z.jpg]
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Everyone is going to be pissed when it turns out it was all the dreams of an autistic boy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "The Platform" movie (Spoilers) Rhizomorph13 0 338 May 25, 2020 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Lockdown Trivia: The Final Chapter BrianSoddingBoru4 6 804 May 24, 2020 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  First snow for the season. onlinebiker 31 2366 November 1, 2019 at 10:16 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Will I get a final written warning? Cod 36 2790 October 2, 2019 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  "Top 10 Shows That Could Be The Next Game of Thrones." Gawdzilla Sama 11 909 May 21, 2019 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Star Trek Discovery Season 2 is Good Mechaghostman2 28 3324 March 25, 2019 at 12:14 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why are people so obsessed with the show Game of Thrones? NuclearEnergy 31 6362 October 16, 2017 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Emmett
  Game of Thrones (no spoilers in the OP) Losty 31 4035 August 15, 2017 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Final Determination of Christmas Carol Lyrics/Make Your Videos Shell B 64 4530 December 22, 2016 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Let's talk about Primer[Warning Spoilers] dyresand 9 1754 March 2, 2016 at 3:38 am
Last Post: Heat